Hey Matt B ... How the hell o are you ??? :)

2nd Light Forums
Decrease font size
Increase font size
Topic Title: 3 weeks in...
Topic Summary: drydocked
Created On: 01/27/2016 08:33 AM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 01/27/2016 08:33 AM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

LIV2SURFDT

Joined Forum: 07/23/2003

So just past 3 weeks since my second rotator repair. 3 more weeks till the sling comes off. Shoulder feeling better, slowly but sure. Because of the severity of the tear I am on a super conservative rehab schedule for the first 6 weeks. Absolutely no active at all. Stretching only with the assist of my PT guy. A failure of the repair would be devastating so not taking any chances here. Even though Ive done this before with my right arm, this repair and rehab is already testing my sanity. The brace is a pain in the neck, and missing winter waves sux. Doing 40 minutes a day on stationary bike to keep up cardio and also going through my entire pre-surf stretch routine every other day. Stretching everything except the left arm/shoulder of course. One thing I did both times was schedule the surgery for January to avoid wearing the sling in the hot months. doesnt seem like a big deal but in reality if I had to wear this thing in the summer it would be torture. I would recommend this for any surgery that requires rehab and an extended time out of water, if possible. Should be surfing again some time in April, barring set backs...
 01/27/2016 01:53 PM

stokedpanda

Joined Forum: 09/04/2015

good luck on the recovery!

-------------------------
I troll 2L.com to be a better person in real life
 01/27/2016 10:48 PM

ww

Joined Forum: 08/17/2007

Keep up the bicycling.

My cuff repair (torn supraspinatus tendon reattached, bone spurs that had damaged it cut away) was a week and a half ago.  I'm going nuts, too.  A sling with a pad to hold the upper arm a bit away from the body has to be worn except when taking a shower or changing clothes.  No physical therapy until two and a half weeks from now, no driving.  

I'm allowed to walk, so hope to do the 2 mile hike to a movie theater tomorrow.  Missed a shorter hike today due to the rain.  Rain is OK, but rain with a sling, not so much.

Along the same lines, I spotted a photo of seemingly hyperactive kiteboarding entrepreneur Dimitri Maramenides in a painting class, getting more paint on his face than the campus.  He's recovering from a knee injury.  

Edited: 01/28/2016 at 09:27 PM by ww
 01/28/2016 06:12 AM

LIV2SURFDT

Thanks Panda! WW.sounds like we had similar injuries. Years of use caused bone spur to cut through supraspinatus. Doc shaved down bone spur so it will never again be an issue. Also found a smaller spur he fixed as well. Tendon re attached, anchored and stitched. Three holes in the shoulder. Had the same fix in right shoulder 4 years ago. But he found my labrum was torn on that side so I had four incisions. Cant wait to get into the active phase of rehab. I find myself walking around the yard with my dogs picking up debri and planning future projects. I did an overload of pruning and yard clearing prior to surgery.Tried to plan six weeks ahead for the time I would be unable to prune and do two handed stuff. Luckily the yard is in slow motion as far as mowing goes. Although all this rain hasnt helped. I have a riding mower so that part will not be an issue. Good luck with your healing. Will post occasional updates on mine. I have come up with some creative ways to keep busy...
 01/28/2016 09:32 PM

ww

Hired a yard crew for mowing and edging thru October (two major vacations in May and Oct, and I have no idea when I'll get clearance to pull the mower cord).

Went bonkers with pruning and edging right up to the surgery, despite limited use of right shoulder. 

Four holes in shoulder.  

02/29/2016 10:49 AM

LIV2SURFDT

Hit the 8 week mark tomorrow the 1st of March. Shoulder feeling good. Weak and sore, but good in fact I constantly remind myself NOT to try to do too much. Still in that danger zone where you start to feel better but the repair is "like soft cement" in the Docs words. Could potentially pull the anchor out of the bone with one incorrect move. At ten weeks I can begin strengthening with weights. I miss the ocean, miss paddling! Last surf was early December. Long time. Some one catch a wave for me...
 03/30/2016 05:12 AM

LIV2SURFDT

Heading in for my 12 week check, hopefully to be released. Shoulder feels solid. Been in full strengthen zone for a couple weeks. External rotations with 3 pounds, curls with 6! Fingers crossed to start paddling?
 03/30/2016 06:25 AM

Greensleeves

Joined Forum: 07/22/2003

Keep it up!

03/30/2016 06:56 AM

Joined Forum: 01/26/2005

Feel your pain dude....I'm still not in the water yet...since October. I admit, I'm scared, but I have been considering the longboard on the right day. A reinjury would be devastating to say the least. Been going ham in the garden though.

If you're not part of the solution, you're part of the precipitate.
 03/30/2016 03:55 PM

LIV2SURFDT

Got great news today. Repair is rock solid! Released with no restrictions. Doc said about the only way the repair could be damaged now would be if I dislocated the shoulder. Still another 6 months or so of strengthening/bone healing till back to 100%. Tried to paddle in the pool this afternoon, no go. I could paddle alright, but the motion from when the arm is back after the stroke, near the side of the body when you need to lift the arm up and out of the water and rotate it forward was not happening. Muscles just too weak. If anyone knows a PT guy who surfs that could tell me what specific exercise to get strength back for this specific motion? I know we have some PT guys (gals?) here on 2light.???
 03/31/2016 07:45 AM

ww

Right on schedule.  Congrats.  

Best wishes with getting swimming/paddling ability back. 

While I was at PT, the therapist took a phone call.  He was unhappy.  Explained that a rotator cuff patient had cancelled.  He'd been riding his mountain bike and fell.  Poof.  

I'm supposed to see the doc on April 25.  I'm hoping for permission to drive, but there's been no firm promises.  I've moved May vacation to be an extended Memorial Day break.

04/12/2016 03:15 PM

LIV2SURFDT

Flew out to Vail day after doc released. Scored epic Spring conditions with one day of dumping Rocky mountain pow. First trip to CO, what a mind blower. Runs seemed to go on endlessly. So glad I kept up cardio. And holy smokes, 175 dollar lift tickets! Had an envelope of half price vouchers waiting for me at my time share, thanks to an awesome hook-up via a certain fellow 2nd lighter (thanks a ton buddy!) And I never really fell on the bad (good!) shoulder. Ive boarded more than ive surfed this season. Park City in December right before surgery and closing week in Vail. Dont need good shoulders to ride lol. Missed a ton of waves but that was expected. And, to quote Jerry Lopez, you can do more turns in one day boarding than a year of surfing. I have two healthy shoulders for the first time in ten years. Paddling this week hopefully...
 04/12/2016 04:01 PM

ww

Congrats.

As I'm approaching the doc's probable release date (he only guaranteed that I can do my vacation, not that I can drive or whatever), I'm doing as much walking, especially on the bridges, for what should be several six-hour hikes at the end of May.  

04/13/2016 05:11 AM

Cole

Joined Forum: 07/22/2003

Holy Jeebus, $175 a day to slide down a mountain!

Great to hear the recovery news; take that Father Time!!

I was right.
 04/15/2016 07:53 AM

ww

Cross country has its pleasures.  And it's warm.  

04/25/2016 11:19 AM

ww

Took the bus to see the doc.

I'm OK to drive.  And swim.  And play with boards, though the arm won't have full range of motion until around the end of July.

Made it to the beach and got wet.  The arm really doesn't want to do much of anything, so for now, maybe it's laps with fins.  

Edited: 04/25/2016 at 03:06 PM by ww
FORUMS : NPNR : 3 weeks in...

Topic Tools Topic Tools
Statistics
146495 users are registered to the 2nd Light Forums forum.
There are currently 0 users logged in to the forum.

FuseTalk Basic Edition - © 1999-2024 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.

First there was Air Jordan .