Hey Matt B ... How the hell o are you ??? :)

2nd Light Forums
Decrease font size
Increase font size
Topic Title: Thruster/Quad Question
Topic Summary: Feel or ride
Created On: 11/11/2008 10:55 AM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
1 2 Next Last unread
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 11/11/2008 10:55 AM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Earlybird

Joined Forum: 01/30/2006

I have been loving my new Neilson Quad. It feels like my board wants to turn more sideways when throwing my weight up the face to hit the lip. My old thruster would go straight up and down with ease. MY QUESTION IS ? Am I riding it wrong or is this common on a quad? Thought you guys that switched over to a quad would have insight.

-------------------------
Luv this forum and sunrises.
 11/11/2008 11:08 AM

vwsurf

Joined Forum: 06/15/2004

Try getting some fins with less flex.
It changed my quad like night and day..

Surf all day, polka all night, everything is alright.
 11/11/2008 11:51 AM

WarmWaterErik

Joined Forum: 09/19/2005

size of the trailing fins can make a difference, for example the futures fins vector II guad's rear fins are too small for most average weight surfers, and most people i know that were using that set up, myself include have changed to the 400 quad rear fins. They are a full 4 inches tall, and even the quad setup Stretch has with futures uses these rear fins... they seems to give better hold, well anyway that's just my 2 cents

11/11/2008 12:41 PM

Earlybird

Thanks, I'll give that a try.

11/11/2008 01:33 PM

dan

Joined Forum: 07/24/2003

I love the skatey feeling of a my quad. But if you are looking for it to stick more then yeah what these guys said is correct.
 11/11/2008 04:35 PM

consultrelkins@hotmail.com

Joined Forum: 11/17/2006

Good thread.

I have all but givin up on my quad + tri, because it rides so great as a tri.

Part of my problem was trying it quad at **** in Anna Maria during IKE on a very barreling day in the 4ft range. Ever since then I have ridden tri on the East Coast.

I thought the front fins needed to be bigger, but now that I'm reading this thread, I think I will try bigger fins in different boxes with less flex. (I am 210 lbs.)

I still like tri better so far though. But hey! When you have the boxes for tri or quad and a 20 inch wide 6,4 short board to float your fat ass you can't lose.

11/11/2008 05:13 PM

TATTOO74

Joined Forum: 10/26/2005

Good thread. Is your quad a shortboard or fish. Check these links out

http://store.magicseaweed.com/...-Dialer-Fin/Item/790/
http://www.beachcreations.com/...ure%20Base%20Quad.jpg

I have a 6'2 quad short board and I prefer a thruster, but when I ride the quad its hard to explain but it feels like I'm on rails. It has held fine in head high surf too. Not sure the brand or name of my fin set up but they are futures and the front set are 3-1/2" high and the ones closest to the tail are 3-3/4"high. Ive only slid the board out once by accident on a bottom turn !!!
 11/11/2008 05:32 PM

Earlybird

Its a fish, and trying it with the 4 inch fins in the rear is what I wanted to hear from some of you guys. I will swing by Tomtube shop and get the board tuned up.
He understands the mechanics a lot more than I do.

11/11/2008 06:01 PM

twinkletoes

Joined Forum: 02/13/2005

Seems to me like the rake angle of the back fin of my old 3 made a difference in line of attack. More rake made it prone to stick a bit better.

I only take the ones heading East!
 11/11/2008 06:49 PM

Kinwesurfnow

Joined Forum: 09/30/2003

Yeah, go to Tom.

I found myself trying to make assumptions in order to make a recommendation.

I am riding a Flying Floatey Fish, and I have the CRV fins on the front and GLs on the back
I rode Hippy1's board set up like that and loved it.
It took me a while to locate a set, but I got them, and that's all I've ridden it with.

I got the Simon Anderson S25 Large quad set and the SF4 set with it and never rode either.

The retail on the S25s is $88, I'd be happy to get half for them, if you're interested. I probably will get rid of the SF4s too, if anyone is interested.

On my semi-gun, I have the PC-7 quad set-up. I've only ridden it three sessions, but I like 'em.

There's no surf on Wall Street!
One man's loss is another man's gold...Operating principal behind Wall Street, and sadly, to a large extent, America

Edited: 11/11/2008 at 06:53 PM by Kinwesurfnow
 11/12/2008 04:24 AM

purefunk

Joined Forum: 09/11/2003

I think these may help:

But these are for rainbow fin boxes.

If you want to hit a home run, you have to swing the bat.

11/12/2008 06:11 AM

tom

Joined Forum: 07/25/2003

At that angle, those fins look like a giant keel with a slice out of the middle.
Hmmmmmm.....

add a signature since I'm here in profile anyway
 11/12/2008 11:27 AM

WarmWaterErik

OOOHHHH, sorry to kinda drag this post back up to the top, but yeah the rainbow speed dialer/ canard cutaway fins are great, and they now can come in not just lokbox but Futures and FCS bases too. I am using the not cutaway, "turboed" versions on one of my boards that is based on a MR outline, not the really fat wide one, the slightly more modern on... They hold really well but it isn't really a board that I surf vertical with.

Probably not what you want to hear because it equals $$$ but ultimately everyone kind of has their own oppinions on what setups work best, I mean you wouldn't believe some of the crazy quad fin designs pro-box has, SOOOOO ultimately you just need to experiment with multiple fins, you wouldn't believe the set up i have on my mod-fish quad right now because it couldn't handle any real size with the old vector II set-up, Ill try to get pics of it later.

In short, just experiment...

11/12/2008 11:41 AM

Earlybird

I looked at the futures site and did not see the S25s' you were talking about.
I would be interested in buyiing them off of you, can you send me more info on those. Any ways thanks for everyones opinions.

11/12/2008 01:09 PM

WarmWaterErik

the Simon Andersons' he is talking about are FCS base

Anyway really quick with what i was saying about experimenting this mod-fish quad I made is only 5'8 and has a pretty narrowed tail, so it was a little too skatey especially in chest or bigger waves so I am experimenting with way larger front fins like the futures K1 keels that I have on it with the trailers that come with the vector II's that I modified into cutaways so they wouldn't hold excessively on turns, so far it seems to be a pretty good idea though I am going to try some glass front fins from a futures FEN set up (before they started vector foiling them) that my friend has. It is all about trial and error from my experience, and it seems from the experience of everyone on swaylock and surfer mag forum...

here is the board, pretty narrowed tail, which with the smaller fins makes it retardedly fun on small waves:

And here is the new experimental set up, yes I was too lazy to take the leash off for the photo, but the idea was when I tried it with just those keels they were slightly too loose, but when I added those small trailers it gave forward stability but drew out the turns WAY too much, SO I made them cut-aways which has seemingly loosened them a good bit (who knew so much hold through turns was actually controlled by the base not the tip, it feels to be the reverse of what every fin company says, maybe i am crazy...)

ANYWAY good luck with whatever you choose, and if anyone cares I can keep updating on my crazy combo ideas

Edited: 11/12/2008 at 01:44 PM by WarmWaterErik
 10/23/2016 09:04 PM

Hilo

Joined Forum: 10/23/2016

WarmWaterErik,

Keep posting your results, I am also experimenting using the K1 as fronts and the rears from the Scimitar Quad setup(vertical fins). May have to go to a larger rears, but will try the setup soon.

Thanks,

Hilo

10/24/2016 06:01 PM

grdsurf

Joined Forum: 09/28/2004

Fin placement is critical for the quad. You might consider using the Mckee Formula for your fin setup. Check out this link for the details: http://www.mckeesurf.com/?page_id=267 One of our top local surfer/board builders (SB) seems to be using at least a variation of the formula. The most obvious part of the setup is that the rear fins are closer together/further from the rail.

Edited: 10/24/2016 at 06:34 PM by grdsurf
 10/26/2016 10:00 AM

LongboardsnDonuts

Joined Forum: 10/23/2007

I'm a dick.

"Man is the only creature who refuses to be what he is" a.camus

Edited: 10/26/2016 at 10:09 AM by LongboardsnDonuts
 10/26/2016 11:12 AM

surferKev07

Joined Forum: 06/08/2007

Embrace the drift and fin release with the quad. It keeps things interesting.
 10/27/2016 10:36 AM

Zeroevol

Joined Forum: 10/26/2016

I ride a quad set of Clay Marzo on a V3 Rocket.  The like the steeper the face, the better they perform.  When it gets mushier, i'll switch back to my thruster set up.

FORUMS : Surfing : Thruster/Quad Question

1 2 Next Last unread
Topic Tools Topic Tools
Statistics
146500 users are registered to the 2nd Light Forums forum.
There are currently 2 users logged in to the forum.

FuseTalk Basic Edition - © 1999-2024 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.

First there was Air Jordan .