Hey Matt B ... How the hell o are you ??? :)

2nd Light Forums
Decrease font size
Increase font size
Topic Title: Neilson "flying floatey fish"
Topic Summary:
Created On: 02/20/2008 06:52 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
1 2 Next Last unread
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 02/20/2008 06:52 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

veritas

Joined Forum: 02/20/2008

any reviews??

02/20/2008 06:57 PM

Cesar

Joined Forum: 11/11/2007

Pics would be nice 2!!    im intrested in one
 02/20/2008 07:01 PM

veritas

Joined Forum: 02/20/2008

02/20/2008 07:10 PM

lawless

Joined Forum: 07/24/2003

Yeah, they rock. Really good all-around Florida board. I usually use mine when the waves are smaller but have ridden it in overhead surf as well:

That's a 5'10" quad in the pic, here's the same exact board that's in that picture:
http://www.tomneilsonshapes.co...abase/boards.php?id=42

There are a bunch of Floatey Fish pictures in Tom's database with their dimensions:
http://www.tomneilsonshapes.co....php?type=Fish&start=0
 02/20/2008 07:29 PM

Cesar

Joined Forum: 11/11/2007

Gracias!
 02/20/2008 07:30 PM

WG

Joined Forum: 03/10/2005

I'll report on mine in a week or two!

-------------------------
"The truth is incontrovertible.
malice may attack it,
ignorance may deride it,
but in the end,
there it is." -Sir Winston Churchill
 02/20/2008 07:53 PM

acrorrusd

Joined Forum: 12/11/2003

I love mine. i have had for about 3 years now, and need to start thinking about a new one(it is getting beat up looking) . It is my go to board most of the time.

RUSS-D'S PHOTOGRAPHY
Suncoast Surfrider
 02/20/2008 08:03 PM

acrorrusd

Joined Forum: 12/11/2003

pics of me on my Nielson....

This shot is one that Tom sent me as soon as the board was done. I wish it was in new condition still LOL....

RUSS-D'S PHOTOGRAPHY
Suncoast Surfrider

Edited: 02/20/2008 at 08:04 PM by acrorrusd
 02/20/2008 08:29 PM

Joined Forum: 01/26/2005

Say hello to my little friend. I picked this off of the For Sale Forum for tres cientos. I've been trying to get up to Tom's shop, but when I saw this one, I knew it was a match. Thanks for hooking it up kookbox. I've definitely managed to feel it's potential the other day at the tail end of that little south swell we had with high tide and offshores. It catches waves and is fast as can be. You da man, Tom.

If you're not part of the solution, you're part of the precipitate.
 02/20/2008 08:29 PM

Greensleeves

Joined Forum: 07/22/2003

Me on mine:

02/20/2008 08:44 PM

kookbox

Joined Forum: 04/13/2007

they work great! They catch waves easily, can handle bigger stuff with the right fin choices, and I can duckdive mine with relative ease. A true "all-around' board for Florida waves, at least for me, and Tom is shaping me another one as we speak. Can't wait!
 02/20/2008 10:37 PM

LongNeck

Joined Forum: 04/04/2004

It just makes sense:

www.endlesssummertattoo.com

02/21/2008 02:04 AM

dan

I've had my 5'11" twinnie for about 3 years and it works very well in all conditions. Very well crafted board.

Nice job there Mark!
 02/21/2008 07:06 AM

Jersey SK

Joined Forum: 03/28/2007

I got a 6' 5" quad fish last summer. Before that board I thought I was going to be on a longboard for the rest of my surfing life. Love it...floats great and is great down the line.

Utah, gimme two!
 02/21/2008 08:11 AM

TATTOO74

Joined Forum: 10/26/2005

GOD you guys are killin me with these pics. I need one of these really bad. One question: Will this board work in the Fl. Summer flatness periods of mush??
 02/21/2008 10:06 AM

Kinwesurfnow

Joined Forum: 09/30/2003

Tattoo,

It just depends on what size you get. Obviously, a fish a little bigger than your shortboard is going to have trouble replacing your longboard, but they still go unreal.

See mine below ...

There's no surf on Wall Street!
One man's loss is another man's gold...Operating principal behind Wall Street, and sadly, to a large extent, America
 02/21/2008 10:32 AM

Kinwesurfnow

Joined Forum: 09/30/2003

No New Board Curse.... picked up my brand new one last Wednesday.

I've ridden it twice, but was lucky enough to get a loaner from my friend Hippy1 - a poly 6'4" x 21.5" x 2 5/8" with FCS CRV (curve) fins and GL trailers.

I got probably 10 sessions on his board, and was very impressed.

I was initially apprehensive, though, b/c it only goes up to 6'6", and I was thinking about a 6'8".

Hippy's had his for about 2 1/2 years. The thing is in great shape (he opted for the 6/6 deck). He's 185#s and rides it in knee high surf up to 2' overhead and rarely rides any of his other boards.

I am 220#, and it floated me.

So, when I mentioned it to Hippy that I was considering one, he said, "why don't you take my board out."
I told him that I didn't think it would float me. (it's 6'4" x 15 1/4" x 21.5" x 15 3/4" x 2 5/8")
He said, "you'll be surprised."

He was right.
I figured that I would ride it in chest to head high good waves, and then, maybe, I could get a feel for the shape, and then extrapolate up to the size that would work for me from there. (I was thinking 3" thick might cut it).

Well, as it turned out, I got it out in 3 crappy sessions. Disorganized, choppy, waist to occasional shoulder high waves, without much line to them. Typical East Coast waves - grovel/slop.

The first time that I took it out, I was in a pretty thick crowd an afterwork NSI crowd with a bunch of local heavies. That was the crappiest day of them all. A day that I typically wouldn't even be at the beach. I tried to stay out of everybody's way and I was just impressed that I was able to drop in on a few waves, and do a few cut backs on the disappearing shoulder.

The second time, was at Spanish House. The crowds weren't too bad b/c the waves sucked and the SI pro was going on. I started to get a feel for it. I dropped into a steep shoulder high section about to throw over and the board just held steady in the steep section. I didn't know if it had to do with my foot position, but it felt like it was locked in place, until I decided to turn at the end of the wave, and it turned like butter. I got a little feel for the turning of the board, but it started to close out with the tide, so I made another go out on the inside break on the South side of the inlet.

There were only 3 surfers out - 3 longboarders from Boca there, and I dropped in on double the waves that any of them did. I probably dropped in on 25 waves, and my feet slipped on maybe 5 b/c they were getting cold, and I had warm water wax. The board, however, was catching disorganized, choppy, rolling waves that were breaking in deep water. Some of them were breaking right behind other wave segments and were only waist high. Because of this, however, I was able to drop in, and sometimes even look both ways down the line before I set up my turns. Speaking of turns, the board turns unreal. I found myself making real quick, snappy turns, which is something that doesn't typify my surfing style. I did top turns on real mushy sections, and I was able to spin it around and come back into the wave, which I wouldn't have been doing on any of my other boards in that slop.

It seems to be real loose when you want it, and hold a line real tight when you want to.

It was surprisingly buoyant, floating me to about the bottom of my sternum with my 2/2 shortsuit on, and surprisingly, it was a lot harder to duck dive than I thought it would be.

I liked the board so much that I got mine in a 6'4". Now, it's not going to replace my longboard at my weight, but it's definitely a fun board.

6'4" x 22" x 2 3/4"
Quad +1
EPS Core
Epoxy layup - 4/4 on bottom, 6/4 on top with a 6 oz. deck patch 2/3 of the way up.

I got future boxes b/c the CRV fins are discontinued. I rode it with Scimitar quads (see Tom, if anybody wants 'em) which are too loose for my weight and riding style, and I am picking up a new set of quads this weekend.

Finally,
I got a sick barrel at NSI on Hippy's board as well. It was a set that went wide of the main peak, a drop in just in front of the foam ball, look over at the section going vertical, top turn off the throwing over section, freefall, land compressed, look up at the lip, tuck lower and tighter and fly out towards the light.

There's no surf on Wall Street!
One man's loss is another man's gold...Operating principal behind Wall Street, and sadly, to a large extent, America
 02/21/2008 01:24 PM

otter13

Joined Forum: 06/08/2005

I have 2- 6'6"'s and a 6'4"- i am 6'3" and 215, Like everybody has stated these stix ride very well in all conditions. Tom has got in dialed in, go get one and you we be stoked for sure.
 02/21/2008 02:29 PM

Hat-n-Shades

I'm going to pick my new 6'6" EPS board form Tom today!

"All my greatest Ideas were stolen by the Ancients" - Unknown Egyptian Scribe - 2500 B.C.
 02/23/2008 10:08 AM

CFS

Joined Forum: 09/06/2004

I've had one for about 2 years and I surf it exclusively in Florida, aside from when the conditions are epic, and even then it's my board of choice in Florida. When the one I have is done, I will be picking up another one without a doubt.....
FORUMS : Surfing : Neilson "flying floatey fish"

1 2 Next Last unread
Topic Tools Topic Tools
Statistics
146497 users are registered to the 2nd Light Forums forum.
There are currently 3 users logged in to the forum.

FuseTalk Basic Edition - © 1999-2024 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.

First there was Air Jordan .