Hey Matt B ... How the hell o are you ??? :)

2nd Light Forums
Decrease font size
Increase font size
Topic Title: WSL buys surf park
Topic Summary:
Created On: 01/06/2019 05:54 AM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 01/06/2019 05:54 AM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

SunriseSurfer

Joined Forum: 07/22/2003

The World Surf League has acquired land and assets from NLand in Austin, Texas

-------------------------
Puerto Rico 11 - 24 - 2013
 01/06/2019 05:48 PM

ww

Joined Forum: 08/17/2007

I wonder about that as a business decision. I of course haven't been to NLand or the original Wavegarden, or to Lemoore. But Lemoore comes across as a very expensive operation that produces certain kinds of perfect waves that are worth the high price and discipline for expert surfers. William Finnegan's review in the New Yorker seems calculated to intimidate college kids from Austin, other than rich ones whose parents send them to CR and Mexico regularly.
    Then again, was anyone going to NLand?
    Wave Garden's tech seems nothing compared to Slater, but they seem to make good waves for regular folks. No idea how their place in what seems a back corner of Wales is doing. I assume the water is clean, albeit with natural color from peat moss or whatever. Giardia???

Edited: 01/06/2019 at 05:50 PM by ww
 01/07/2019 08:39 AM

Tiptime

Joined Forum: 07/24/2003

Jet Blue has cheap flights into Austin from MCO

-------------------------
The Wavecaster
 01/07/2019 09:00 AM

surfysurfy

Joined Forum: 09/26/2011

I would assume BSR all but killed Nland business. And as for profitability, I think NLAND had their fare share of problems. Right after opening had to close and redo pool. Im not sure any of these things are or really can be sustainable when stand alone. Obviously Kelly's wave would be a major upgrade there, but all reports point to its inability to sustain cost wise. South Florida's seems to already be labeled as a private entity and not just a public surf park. I hope they figure out the formula though.. Florida has been a major drag for any sort of consistency.
 01/07/2019 09:04 AM

krypto

Joined Forum: 04/30/2015

Flights start from Fort Lauderdale on February 14 to Austin. Is that a good answer.
 01/11/2019 07:16 PM

smallwavespwnme

Joined Forum: 09/09/2003

I live in San Antonio, TX and definitely agree that BSR took NLand's clientele and then some. BSR opens bookings and the prime time slots (read: weekends) get sold out within hours. With NLand, I could decide the day before that I wanted to surf and they'd have availability on weekends.

I've surfed BSR multiple times, and NLand once, even though NLand is half the distance for me. BSR is MUCH more like a real wave than NLand. That being said, if they somehow get NLand to mirror the Surf Ranch wave, I will be first in line to surf.

Edited: 01/11/2019 at 07:17 PM by smallwavespwnme
Statistics
146499 users are registered to the 2nd Light Forums forum.
There are currently 2 users logged in to the forum.

FuseTalk Basic Edition - © 1999-2024 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.

First there was Air Jordan .