Hey Matt B ... How the hell o are you ??? :)

2nd Light Forums
Decrease font size
Increase font size
Topic Title: Odd FL surf spots
Topic Summary: Mystos, novelties, disappearances
Created On: 11/02/2018 11:44 AM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
1 2 3 Next Last unread
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 11/02/2018 11:44 AM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

AndreaCaloiaro

Joined Forum: 03/28/2014

Guys, I could look at coastline maps all day, and I'm overly curious about lore-level surf breaks. Let's share them. The oddest surfable waves I've seen in FL: Gordon's Pass - looks like it could possibly be a quasi point break with the right swell, although size? Dutchman's Key and Anclote - seen them ridable, quite ridable; inside NSI Inlet; Sebass Kiddie Pool. What're yours, seen or heard of? \m/
 11/02/2018 01:05 PM

SAsurfer

Joined Forum: 02/17/2013

The very southern end of the beach at Fort Matanzas National Monument, right at the inlet, used to act kind of like a point break under the right conditions of swell direction, wind direction and tide. It was fun, but it hasn't been the same since hurricanes Matthew and Irma. Since it wasn't impacted by a hurricane this year, my hope the sandbars will eventually settle back to what they were with tide action and flow at the inlet.
 11/04/2018 06:17 AM

dropsolo

Joined Forum: 07/24/2003

Aka "give up your favorite secret spot"

My favorite is this pier at the end of 520. Used to break semi-ok back in the day. Hasn't broken ok in 15 years.

-------------------------
I type on fone 99% of time. Let the typos slyde. Thanks
 11/04/2018 10:43 AM

Cole

Joined Forum: 07/22/2003

There used to be a point break just south of Cortez and Anna Maria; beach renourishment killed it. Pet Den, Chernobyls, Shark Pit, Sea Grape, Lums, Mark Reality and the little motel just north of Floridana.

Some are still super poplar under different names and i'm sure some are still good that go unridden.

I was right.
 11/04/2018 10:53 AM

Cole

Oh and large swells the Canaveral Pier used to break at the tip of the structure and not a mile out to sea. Paddle out in the rip, then drop into bomb wedges at the feet of the tourists and catfish fisherpeople.

...and we surfed inside the jetty at the port. Weird wave - imaging surfing up hill, but a fun atmosphere.

I was right.
 11/04/2018 04:25 PM

AndreaCaloiaro

Originally posted by: SAsurfer The very southern end of the beach at Fort Matanzas National Monument, right at the inlet, used to act kind of like a point break under the right conditions of swell direction, wind direction and tide. It was fun, but it hasn't been the same since hurricanes Matthew and Irma. Since it wasn't impacted by a hurricane this year, my hope the sandbars will eventually settle back to what they were with tide action and flow at the inlet.
Ah yes, now that I'm up surfing St. Aug more than Volusia and Brevard, I've done a few drivebys on Matanzas and have seen this in action. I recall one day two years back, on a north swell, seeing it chest high looking like a quasi point and offshore. Problem was: no one out, I'd never surfed it, and it was breaking really far out. Probably should have done it; however, later that week, I heard a guy got attacked by a bull shark in his kayak out there. Felt better about not going after that.
 11/04/2018 04:29 PM

AndreaCaloiaro

Originally posted by: Cole There used to be a point break just south of Cortez and Anna Maria; beach renourishment killed it. Pet Den, Chernobyls, Shark Pit, Sea Grape, Lums, Mark Reality and the little motel just north of Floridana. Some are still super poplar under different names and i'm sure some are still good that go unridden.
Yeah, there're all those jetties up and down Anna Maria that work pretty well and cut down drift a bit. My brother just surfed the two I'll just say, somewhere near AMI/Longboat and said it was fun and barely anyone there. Man, a couple of those passes seem like such good quasi "point break" ops, under very specific conditions. I def miss Chernobyls and all those S. Brevard spots off the road.

Edited: 11/04/2018 at 04:29 PM by AndreaCaloiaro
 11/04/2018 04:48 PM

surfmcc32

Joined Forum: 11/11/2009

Originally posted by: Cole There used to be a point break just south of Cortez and Anna Maria; beach renourishment killed it.
How did it used to be? I surfed it when the Jetties were about shoulder-head high and it was waist high and running for around 40 yards. Seemed like it had a lot of potential. I've seen cape San blas look similar to Skelton bay. Always wondered about that dog island break near there too, only accessible by boat though. And we can't forget the shoals, I'm pretty sure the Hobgoods surfed out there and the legendary Bob Freeman has a crazy story from out there. I've always wanted to try but by all accounts it's a pretty risky endeavor with all the sharks and shifty waves.
 11/04/2018 06:24 PM

seaspray

Joined Forum: 05/10/2012

Not sure if it exactly qualifies as "mysto": but the south side of the St John's River Jetty at Mayport. The last time they dredged the rivermouth to make the shipping channel deeper, they dumped the dredged up sand/dirt right on the Navy base's beach and right next to the jetty. At high tide, fortunately there was a fun-sized swell and it produced a sweet left hand point. Peeling, shoulder high lines with long rides. Lasted for about two weeks, with a peak over a weekend. And then just like that, it was gone

Edited: 11/04/2018 at 06:25 PM by seaspray
 11/04/2018 07:03 PM

grdsurf

Joined Forum: 09/28/2004

Over the years 1st Light at Patrick had some pretty nice setups. It's been at least 10 years since the last time it did anything. I can remember a least four different times when it had a perfect setup usually favoring the right. the last couple times it was small scale and good for smaller stuff. A very long time ago there was a period of time with it was almost a "Lowers" lite...very consistent A frame in the same spot. Obviously 1st Peak Inlet....it's long gone. Same thing with Monster Hole ...it's completely different now and IMO not even close to what it use to break like in the 70's, 80's and 90's...there is way to much sand....no focal point. We use to surf "Wells" in Mel beach...that's a distant memory. In St. Augustine Blow Hole use to go off...it's gone. It seems like we've lost a lot of breaks but haven't gained any. Believe it or not some if the cooler setups I've seen in the last ten years have been in south CB usually after a period of big surf a little channel gets carved out and for a couple days there would be a neat little wave peeling along the channel to create an X marks the spot lineup. About 5 years ago one morning I'm on my way to work and did a quick check at 15th street and low an behold there is this insane left working about chest to head double up barrels breaking in the same spot on every set. I went back to the house got my board and surfed a couple hours and had it to myself. It was a weird wave/setup...there would be a 2 foot wave and doubling up right behind it would be a 4 foot wave, you catch the little front wave an by the time you dropped in the bigger rear wave would merge with the little front wave an create a really juicy, thick zippering left...for CB it was special...but that was it ...it was gone by the next time there were waves.

Edited: 11/04/2018 at 07:10 PM by grdsurf
 11/05/2018 06:07 AM

Plan B

Joined Forum: 03/08/2004

Originally posted by: grdsurf In St. Augustine Blow Hole use to go off...it's gone. It seems like we've lost a lot of breaks but haven't gained any.
.... and that wasnt even the best wave in the park. They've done several "beach renourishment" projects, but The one year they dumped sand the length of the park (all other times were just in residential areas) it permanently fuct the 2 best waves in N. FL and they've never really returned. Still gets fun, but not much different than anywhere else, as opposed to the swell magnifier Middles once was, and the draining buckets at the 'hole. ........ as far as Matanzas goes, that inlet has become super shallow, so swell won't make inside, on a big swell on the rt tide, the far outside of the mouth of the inlet has a wave.... our monsterhole, with comparable sea creatures
 11/05/2018 06:08 AM

Cole

Originally posted by: surfmcc32

Originally posted by: Cole

There used to be a point break just south of Cortez and Anna Maria; beach renourishment killed it.

How did it used to be? I surfed it when the Jetties were about shoulder-head high and it was waist high and running for around 40 yards. Seemed like it had a lot of potential. I've seen cape San blas look similar to Skelton bay. Always wondered about that dog island break near there too, only accessible by boat though. And we can't forget the shoals, I'm pretty sure the Hobgoods surfed out there and the legendary Bob Freeman has a crazy story from out there. I've always wanted to try but by all accounts it's a pretty risky endeavor with all the sharks and shifty waves.

It was a difficult spot, because it needed a strong north to work and that is a rarity in the gulf. I caught it fun once in the mid eighties, then they dumped the sand.

I was right.
 11/05/2018 06:36 AM

tom

Joined Forum: 07/25/2003

Some years back, the beach "renourishment" ended between the Spessards in Mel Beach near where the old tracking station isn't anymore (haha). That spot where the wide beach dropped to the narrow was pretty fun while the sand was trying to even out. And Ocean Ave had some pretty fun dumpy shorepound then too. Back to the normal (nothing special) now.

add a signature since I'm here in profile anyway
 11/05/2018 07:48 AM

Skunkape

Joined Forum: 08/03/2015

South end of matanzas inlet used to be known as point Elizabetha. Grand setup but beyond finicky.
 11/05/2018 07:57 AM

SurferMic

Joined Forum: 06/30/2012

Pea Nut Island, Whitney Beach Inlet, ClearWater Pass, "The Reef" Key West, Amazons, Inside SBI, South Jetty SBI, Riomar reef, etc......mostly a list of rare almost novelty waves that seldom break..

Edited: 11/05/2018 at 08:02 AM by SurferMic
 11/05/2018 08:42 AM

Plan B

Joined Forum: 03/08/2004

I wonder if Amazons will ever be the same after the hurricane..... I did have the fortune of surfing it for Hurricane Katrina
 11/05/2018 11:09 AM

sfds

Joined Forum: 06/25/2007

Originally posted by: Cole There used to be a point break just south of Cortez and Anna Maria; beach renourishment killed it. Pet Den, Chernobyls, Shark Pit, Sea Grape, Lums, Mark Reality and the little motel just north of Floridana. Some are still super poplar under different names and i'm sure some are still good that go unridden.
south cove, north cove in Bradenton. was thinking Chernobyls too, got my cassette tapes and slaps ripped out of my car there with thieves hiding and watching where you hide your key. They were nice tho and put the key back.
 11/05/2018 11:55 AM

stokedpanda

Joined Forum: 09/04/2015

inside the south jetty ft clinch state park in fernandina can have a very small right hand peel along the inside of the rocks novelty but has been fun on the log. inside monster hole about a half mile south of the inlet had a cool looking sandbar i saw from the south jetty couple suppers on what looked like a little split peak out of no where

I troll 2L.com to be a better person in real life
 11/06/2018 07:34 AM

AndreaCaloiaro

This thread is thoroughly intriguing. This could be a complete rumor, but I've heard people mentioning surfing in the Banana River, I think on small islands during passing hurricane or tropical storms? That sounds nuts, but also super cool. Surfing anywhere out in the keys sounds equally nuts. But, I've seen the pics from friends out fishing - weird slab looking waves at times.
 11/06/2018 11:45 AM

tom

Joined Forum: 07/25/2003

I'm a bit surprised to find that no one has mentioned that 200 yard reeling left that comes off the south side of the Cape during big noreasters that only John "Toe Over" Glenn ever really surfed well and now the Air Force will sick the laser sharks on you if you try to get on it. Oh well.

add a signature since I'm here in profile anyway
FORUMS : Surfing : Odd FL surf spots

1 2 3 Next Last unread
Topic Tools Topic Tools
Statistics
146495 users are registered to the 2nd Light Forums forum.
There are currently 0 users logged in to the forum.

FuseTalk Basic Edition - © 1999-2024 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.

First there was Air Jordan .