Hey Matt B ... How the hell o are you ??? :)

2nd Light Forums
Decrease font size
Increase font size
Topic Title: Another Nicaragua Question
Topic Summary:
Created On: 10/05/2018 06:07 AM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 10/05/2018 06:07 AM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Elesde25

Joined Forum: 07/29/2013

Sorry if this question has been posted a 100x already, searched the forums but did not find much regarding this question.

Heading to Nicaragua over thanksgiving week, and having trouble deciding if we want to go to the northwest coast or southwest coast.

We were looking at Miramar surf hotel up north, if anyone has stayed there before ?

But at the same time I have an urge to go south and surf some of the more 'popular breaks' such as popoyo , colorados , playgrounds etc

Can anyone who has done both the north and south help with some input ?

Edited: 10/05/2018 at 06:07 AM by Elesde25
 10/05/2018 07:01 AM

Cole

Joined Forum: 07/22/2003

not to be a killjoy, butt...

http://travel.state.gov/conten...a-travel-advisory.html

-------------------------
I was right.
 10/05/2018 07:24 AM
User is online View Users Profile Print this message

dingpatch

Joined Forum: 07/24/2003

Probably safer going on a hike in Afghanistan!

Dora Hates You
 10/05/2018 07:51 AM

daner

Joined Forum: 04/20/2004

Safety wise, if you ignore the travel advisory, you might consider somewhere like 1) Playa Iquana area that is a private beach with guarded entrance and staying with a host that will pick you up at the airport in Manuaga.

Replace turf grass with native plants that don't need irrigation and synthetic fertilizers or chemicals that can go into our waterways and ocean

10/05/2018 01:46 PM

coolchange

Joined Forum: 08/28/2011

Guys- just had dinner with someone pretty closely connected to the scene down there. Right now it's very uncrowded. There has been no new violence for some time thanks to the fear of Ortega's goons just straight shooting you if you protest. So for right now there is no real flare up going in or out of the Playa Iguana/ Colorodo's area . That doesnt mean to say anything could not happen of course! But right now its' pretty much simmerring.......and the waves are uncrowed.....would not recommend a family trip, but if you want some surf it's down there and uncrowded....BUT proceed at your own risk.
 10/05/2018 03:31 PM

Cole

I would skip driving around. Staying in a secure area sounds like sage advice.

I was right.
 10/05/2018 09:17 PM

CERTON

Joined Forum: 04/22/2011

Just got back from an EPIC week at Playa Colorado... it was solid hollow OH+ glass every day with so many good waves dusk til dawn. Highly recommend the Sansa flight from Liberia direct to Costa Esmeralda 5 minutes from Hacienda Iguana too. The only way to go.

"Don't count the days, make the days count." -Ali
#rydyrstrong
 10/06/2018 04:55 AM

miker

Joined Forum: 04/05/2010

Colorado's epic.... been years since I have seen that. Between the river not running and messing up the break, plus 5000000 Brazilians in the water, it has been more of a stay away from break.
 10/06/2018 08:24 PM

nicacondo

Joined Forum: 05/24/2011

I cannot say anything about up North since I've never been there. We have been going to Hacienda Iguana/Rancho Santana since 2001. Things have gotten back to more "normal" times. Occasionally there is a protest in downtown Managua but the violence has been minimal. Our driver tells me he has been going back and forth from Hacienda Iguana to the airport with no problems or delays at all. The surf has been really good this year with good sandbars and light crowds. The Sansa flight is convenient but adds significant costs as flights to LIR are very expensive (Four Seasons resort nearby likely a reason). Also Sansa planes are small and have very limited space for surfboards. I would say conditions are back to the early 2000s. Mostly groups of surfers, not many families going. If you want I can put you in touch with our driver. He posts on FB several times a week about trips to the airport, the CR border, and the grocery stores. We have had two groups in the condo in the last few weeks and they said everything was fine and the surf was EPIC. Shoot me an email, I'll be glad to help out. playacoloradocondo@me.com
 10/08/2018 09:03 AM

NorthJettySurf

Joined Forum: 07/23/2003

been here for last 5 months.... It's totally safe.. even when shit flares up you literally have to go look for the problem to be anywhere near the BS....

Base your decision on where to go by how the swell is looking when you come... most likely north willl be better like maybe the BOOM because it will probably be small swell running around thanksgiving.. the water can be cold too .... you just missed an EPIC september with no crowds (unless you were trapped in Nica's only wave... Iguana) lmao hahahhahaha kooks

____/\___\o/____ AHHH a SHARK!!!
 10/08/2018 01:04 PM

daner

Joined Forum: 04/20/2004

Originally posted by: NorthJettySurf

been here for last 5 months.... It's totally safe.. even when shit flares up you literally have to go look for the problem to be anywhere near the BS....

Base your decision on where to go by how the swell is looking when you come... most likely north willl be better like maybe the BOOM because it will probably be small swell running around thanksgiving.. the water can be cold too .... you just missed an EPIC september with no crowds (unless you were trapped in Nica's only wave... Iguana) lmao hahahhahaha kooks

I'm surprised you can handle Nica surf growing up on that weak North Jetty wave. Probably found a gentle longboard wave somewhere there. HAHAHA j/k

Replace turf grass with native plants that don't need irrigation and synthetic fertilizers or chemicals that can go into our waterways and ocean

Edited: 10/08/2018 at 01:05 PM by daner
 10/08/2018 01:48 PM

SAsurfer

Joined Forum: 02/17/2013

I've been to northern Nicaragua twice. Stayed once a La Bahia and once at Coco Loco. They are about a 20 minute walk on the beach from each other near Chinandega and the main break in a small bay is right at La Bahia. The two trips were in winter. Warm water, not wave size, was the goal. The water was warm and the waves were generally waist to shoulder high with a few head high ones rolling through occasionally. Very clean in the morning. Afternoon had some bump but was still nice. I'll be going again, this time to Coco Loco, in February. People say it is safe and that the unrest didn't make it to the beach. Both places are fairly isolated so if you want to party at night, this is not the place to go. The lodges serve meals and drinks but can arrange drivers to get to a nearby restaurant and to bar that has a fun salsa dancing night. They can also arrange drivers for a trip to Grenada to go boarding down a volcano (a blast) or to tour the Flor de Cana (great rum) distillery near Chinandega. Crowds are not an issue here. I'm pretty much done with Costa Rica because of how developed it has gotten. That may happen in northern Nicaragua someday, but for now it's wonderful.
 10/08/2018 03:10 PM

Cole

Yea, civil unrest and murder in the streets has a way of keeping crowds down.

I was right.
 10/09/2018 04:25 AM

Dahui321

Joined Forum: 08/29/2014

Invest now while prices are down.... Soooo many places to go, why would you want to chance it. Been there, beach break, fun but not worth possible problems. Go to Bocas or Catalina
 10/09/2018 12:42 PM

GREG

Joined Forum: 08/20/2003

Since it is less crowded I would go south. Those breaks are not so close together, so if I was to pick one, I'd pick Popoyo.

http://www.crsurf.com ~ CR Surf Travel Company

http://www.vacationsbygreg.com
Instagram - @crsurf
 10/09/2018 01:17 PM

CERTON

Joined Forum: 04/22/2011

Indeed, 2018 in Nicaragua was the September to remember.

"Don't count the days, make the days count." -Ali
#rydyrstrong
Statistics
146494 users are registered to the 2nd Light Forums forum.
There are currently 1 users logged in to the forum.

FuseTalk Basic Edition - © 1999-2024 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.

First there was Air Jordan .