Hey Matt B ... How the hell o are you ??? :)

2nd Light Forums
Decrease font size
Increase font size
Topic Title: Salina Cruz guide review
Topic Summary:
Created On: 05/22/2018 06:19 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 05/22/2018 06:19 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Illgetoutnextwave

Joined Forum: 02/19/2016

I'm planning a summer trip to Salina Cruz, and was wondering if anyone had a review on guides they have used.  Seems like there are 3 large operations, and you pick one of them. Rocking up in a rental car is a bad idea based on security issues, unmarked Jeep trails and the guides don't like it.  Any experiences good or bad?

05/23/2018 07:25 AM

JC

Joined Forum: 02/20/2004

You'll be able to surf one or two of the points in the area without a guide but it's worth the $ to get to the others without friction.

Stay with Punta Conejo Resort - Their guide Diego is the man. Their oceanfront property is nice and secure. The staff is great, the food is great and the location is perfect.
We were typically on the road by 6am and returned after dark. 2-3 spots a day and avoided crowds. The guys I traveled with had been to the area a dozen times so they knew from experience.

-------------------------
gone fishin'
 05/23/2018 07:53 AM

miker

Joined Forum: 04/05/2010

Hmm that looks interesting in light of what has been going on in Nica... how are the afternoon winds there?
 05/23/2018 08:23 AM

ncsurf

Joined Forum: 02/23/2011

Originally posted by: JC You'll be able to surf one or two of the points in the area without a guide but it's worth the $ to get to the others without friction. Stay with Punta Conejo Resort - Their guide Diego is the man. Their oceanfront property is nice and secure. The staff is great, the food is great and the location is perfect. We were typically on the road by 6am and returned after dark. 2-3 spots a day and avoided crowds. The guys I traveled with had been to the area a dozen times so they knew from experience.

Stay at Conejo if you want to get sick from the food. I prefer Las Palmeras with David and crew.

Afternoon winds usually aren't bad at the points.

05/23/2018 08:51 AM

JC

Conejo has a new chef, Palma... and the food was incredible which was a nice surprise for a surf trip. The guys we met on the plane stayed at at Palmera and were not stoked on it at all. I only have first hand with Conejo and I'm sure things change from season to season.

gone fishin'
 05/23/2018 08:48 PM

LostSherpa

Joined Forum: 05/02/2012

what is your flight itinerary to get down there?  wondering myself about that part. 

The Dude Abides.

http://www.rollerphotography.com/

05/24/2018 06:44 AM

JC

United flys MCO through Houston to Hautulco. It's a 7 day period. Delta is a 6 day but the travel time is much longer.

gone fishin'
 05/24/2018 08:10 AM

ncsurf

Joined Forum: 02/23/2011

Originally posted by: JC United flys MCO through Houston to Hautulco. It's a 7 day period. Delta is a 6 day but the travel time is much longer.

Do this route. Connecting through Mexico City is a nightmare. 

05/24/2018 11:15 AM

ootrucstopoo

Joined Forum: 01/09/2006

Salinas is a VERY windy place. You'll get epic surf up till about 9:30 am and its whipping side-onshore all afternoon. Usually the wind will die about an hour before dark. Salinas is a place that youll be hanging around the beach and waiting for it to turn on, very rare for it to be offshore till 1pm. With that being said, the guides don't usually hassle you for pulling up to points these days as it tends to get pretty crowded on any medium-large south swell. You'll definitely want a guide if its your first time there cause the breaks are very difficult to find without a guide. Still plenty of waves there but if it gets small I would highly suggest you get a taxi to Puerto Escondido. I would actually make that place my home base and do strike missions to Salinas.
Statistics
146495 users are registered to the 2nd Light Forums forum.
There are currently 1 users logged in to the forum.

FuseTalk Basic Edition - © 1999-2024 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.

First there was Air Jordan .