Hey Matt B ... How the hell o are you ??? :)

2nd Light Forums
Decrease font size
Increase font size
Topic Title: Wave quality/consistency over the years
Topic Summary: Early 2010's vs mid/late 2010's
Created On: 04/18/2018 07:07 AM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
1 2 Next Last unread
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 04/18/2018 07:07 AM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Julianuribe23

Joined Forum: 05/21/2012

I figured I'm not the only one who feels this way while others may beg to differ, so I wanted to discuss this:

I feel like the waves have been significantly lacking in quality and consitency the last few years in comparison to the early 2010's... At least on the spacecoast. South Florida definitely seems to have been getting more than its typical share the last few years.

Although I started surfing in 2009, I sincerely feel like my opinion/observation isn't blindsided by nostalgia or higher standards from traveling - I remember seeing better forecasts, swells and waves more often. I remember surfing 4-5ft rippable days a lot more often than I do now.

Just wanted to hear the views and opinions from everyone else. I'm definitely starting to notice the cycle/phases surfing in florida goes through

Edited: 04/18/2018 at 08:42 PM by Julianuribe23
 04/18/2018 08:27 AM

SrfGtr

Joined Forum: 12/19/2006

Yes! And don't get me started on Xmas week 1983....
 04/18/2018 09:45 AM

mp2115

Joined Forum: 05/29/2009

Overall I believe it is always changing year to year weather patterns are a big influence but the energy is relativly there it has to line up with our local wind pattern. My experience is to have a the right boards for FL and enjoy plan trips during the Lull summer months

04/18/2018 10:25 AM
User is online View Users Profile Print this message

dingpatch

Joined Forum: 07/24/2003

And, of course, it was way, way, better back in the 1960's. Don't get me started about "Labor Day".

But then, again, it is always too easy to forget the one, unchanging, truism of surfing: It is ALWAYS better where you are not.

-------------------------
Dora Hates You
 04/18/2018 10:43 AM

jdbman

Joined Forum: 07/28/2003

It is very clear that surf in Brevard Co. has changed considerably since the mid 60s or so.

So many issues:

Natural ebb and flow....Its a barrier island

Changing weather patterns: The winter low pressure systems , seldom line up as they once did.

The SE suck up followed by the low pressure off the Carolinas happens very seldom. Used to happen every week from mid December to the end of March.

Natural beach erosion and insane sand pumping have destroyed the smooth , gradually slopping beach and near shore.

Dredging at the port interrupted the natural flow of sand.
How many remember the groins at 4th St S. How many remember the poles around 25th Street S.?

How many remember houses in Cape Canaveral so close to the shore that the erosion got them?

Yes in the immortal words of Pete Dooley: "It was better back then."

So if you are a surfer I wish you the prosperity that allows you more time to pursue the salt water dream, and the true happiness that comes from warm water, clean waves and the companionship of your fellow surfers. If you are an internet troll just spewing bs then f off.
 04/18/2018 11:12 AM

RioSirju

Joined Forum: 04/15/2011

I'm with mp. Used to get up at sunrise to check waves and surf almost every day but ever since joaquin.. time and tide!!

04/18/2018 11:38 AM

Zeus

Joined Forum: 07/25/2003

Christmas of 83 was insane!  Nothing else in my memory begins to compare to that swell.  But then the 60's and 70's are far to blurry for me to rememeber anything earlier. 

Halloween of 91 was good too, but that Christmas was bigger, and cleaner, even if it was way too heavy and bitter cold to be as fun.  Shame the biggest day of the swell was too dark and overcast for taking picutres.

Sebastian is but a shaddow of its former self, south Ponce inlet is nothing like it use to be and Blow Hole is almost non-existent today.  Even the OBX isn't all that thrilling anymore.  I do think its been a long slow downward turn in east coast surf quality overall for various reasons, but perhaps I just have the bar set too high these days, or maybe I'm just getting old.

04/18/2018 11:55 AM

frothing321

Joined Forum: 01/29/2017

some of the most consistent summers and winters have occurred within the past few years.

i think we all think it used to be better because we were young frothing groms frothing over waist high mush 

04/18/2018 12:50 PM

mp2115

Joined Forum: 05/29/2009

I couldn't agree more about the beach restoration and steep beaches and deep dropoff it ruins the quality of the wave. Down in Vero beach the beaches are so small they have no choice but to pack sand or there would'nt be a beach left in some areas during hightide. I used to be able to skim board as a kid underneath a pipe at Humiston bch and now it is completely under the sand and the water line is higher than it was back then.

04/18/2018 01:52 PM

realsur4

Joined Forum: 09/04/2003

I moved to Florida in 2000 and I think the waves were good until 2004 when Charley, Frances, and Jeanne came through. After those 3 hurricanes the surf in Satellite Beach was never the same through 2007 when I left. I'm sad to hear that after a decade since I've been gone it still hasn't improved.
 04/18/2018 02:10 PM

SurferMic

Joined Forum: 06/30/2012

hmmm. lets see.....Dec last year 2017 was the warmest on record since they have been keeping temp recs. Previous record was Dec 2016.  2017 was the warmest year on record with I "think" 2016 being second...All this extra heat and shorter, warmer winters is what I think is changing the patterns.  It was only 10 years ago? that Winters seemed colder and strong cold fronts would blast in with freezing temps...(and S. FL would fire)...has not been that way for a while, I "think" it is due to the rising global temps effecting jetstream, the Bermuda high and storm tracks.  BUT with every pattern there is an anomaly and that was this past March. 

Of course the beach profile changing not helped, just makes things worse.

Have not seen a refract swell at the Road with 25 degree wind chills in a long time...last snow I saw was XMAS 1989 (JAX area). In Indi we have not seen below freezing temps in a long time.  Really miss the COLD LONG winters.

On a side note I see this in the NWS forecast for tommorow?  They usually get swell periods spot on but 2-3 @16 secs?  keep an eye on it. NWS is the only source reporting this:

AMZ555-190830-
Sebastian Inlet to Jupiter Inlet 0-20 nm-
344 PM EDT Wed Apr 18 2018

TONIGHT
South winds 5 to 10 knots becoming southwest towards
daybreak. Seas 2 to 3 feet with a dominant period 9 seconds.
Mostly smooth on the intracoastal waters.

THURSDAY
Southwest winds 5 to 10 knots becoming south in the
afternoon. Seas 2 to 3 feet with a dominant period 16 seconds. A
light chop on the intracoastal waters.

THURSDAY NIGHT
South winds 5 to 10 knots becoming west after
midnight. Seas 2 to 3 feet with a dominant period 15 seconds.
Mostly smooth on the intracoastal waters.

04/19/2018 07:31 AM

harrietdubman

Joined Forum: 11/07/2015

i heard the more you complain, despite still being able to surf, the worse the waves get. soo sounds about right. 

sneedeker

04/19/2018 10:10 AM

Julianuribe23

Joined Forum: 05/21/2012

Originally posted by: harrietdubman i heard the more you complain, despite still being able to surf, the worse the waves get. soo sounds about right. 

Oh please, noticing, acknowledging and discussinga change of pattern is not complaining. Not once has anyone posted a blatant complain on this thread. I heard ignorance is bliss though, seems like the shoe fits for you.

Edited: 04/19/2018 at 10:53 AM by Julianuribe23
 04/19/2018 10:15 AM

Northjetty101

Joined Forum: 08/20/2010

Jeez, I know that sand is a sore issue concerning the Inlet and 1st peak project, but there's no doubt that Brevard took a big hit when the obsessive beach renourishment started up after the 90's. The hurricane swells of late 90's were some of the last of that generation of sandbars. I remember how screwed up the streets were following the first big renourishment project in the early 2,000's.

As to this business about 2009 and there about's, that's the last years we had ballsy cold fronts and very active winter weather patterns. Many freezes for several winters. Then a long period of mild winters translating to less powerful winter storm systems, hurricanes were down as well, and a noticeable change in surf following those years. That would be my guess.
 04/19/2018 10:17 AM

Northjetty101

Jeez, I know that sand is a sore issue concerning the Inlet and 1st peak project, but there's no doubt that Brevard took a big hit when the obsessive beach renourishment started up after the 90's. The hurricane swells of late 90's were some of the last of that generation of sandbars. I remember how screwed up the streets were following the first big renourishment project in the early 2,000's.

As to this business about 2009 and there about's, that's the last years we had ballsy cold fronts and very active winter weather patterns. Many freezes for several winters. Then a long period of mild winters translating to less powerful winter storm systems, hurricanes were down as well, and a noticeable change in surf following those years. That would be my guess.
 04/19/2018 10:18 AM

Northjetty101

04/19/2018 10:18 AM

Northjetty101

04/19/2018 01:49 PM

realsur4

Joined Forum: 09/04/2003

Jeez
 04/20/2018 06:35 AM

tom

Joined Forum: 07/25/2003

^^^^there is a 16 sec ping on 41009 this morning,

but you sure can't tell from the waves at the beach

I blame cruise ships, people who don't pick up dog poop,

global warming and the plastic trash island in the middle of the ocean;

the true reasons for declining wave quality and quantity.

add a signature since I'm here in profile anyway
 04/20/2018 02:58 PM

inletbum

Joined Forum: 10/24/2006

My friends and I who have been surfing surfing sincer our ealy teens and are now late thirties to early 40s all agree the consistency and quality of our surf has taken a huge hit in recent years. The weather is one thing, but the beach renourishment is another all together. After they started pumping sand, the variety about dissapeared. It is crazy to think that once upon a time, the Inlet, RCs, 2nd Light would be larger than their neighbors. Now only RCs has this effect. Boardwalk mid break /shorepound in the 90s was so good. Back then it wasn't too hard to find a barreling wave in Brevard and now they are hen's teeth.
FORUMS : Surfing : Wave quality/consistency over the years

1 2 Next Last unread
Topic Tools Topic Tools
Statistics
146494 users are registered to the 2nd Light Forums forum.
There are currently 3 users logged in to the forum.

FuseTalk Basic Edition - © 1999-2024 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.

First there was Air Jordan .