Hey Matt B ... How the hell o are you ??? :)

2nd Light Forums
Decrease font size
Increase font size
Topic Title: RIP Joel Boman "Bobo"
Topic Summary: Paddle Out April 14 at Pet Den
Created On: 04/08/2018 12:30 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 04/08/2018 12:30 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

epicsurf

Joined Forum: 10/25/2003

Still coming to grips about the passing of my friend Bobo. I first met him on Ascension Island over 10 years ago. The only true resident surfer of Ascension Island, he shared his paradise with many of us who were fortunate enough to travel there in support of the Ascension Air Station. He also mastered kayak sportfishing and at one point landed a 120lb tuna after a 2 hrs fight. Going to miss my friend greatly but am so fortunate to have surfed, snorkeled and fished with him. RIP my water brother. Obit

Edited: 04/08/2018 at 01:35 PM by epicsurf

Bobo deep small.JPG
Bobo deep small.JPG  (114 KB)
 04/08/2018 04:33 PM

chopola

Joined Forum: 09/04/2004

Gonna miss Joey, He ripped Pet Den in the 70's. Super Humble guy. From the stories he told me of his time in Ascension, he truly loved that place. We have lost another one of the early Satellite beach guys. RIP
 04/08/2018 05:13 PM

Central Floridave

Joined Forum: 07/22/2003

I'm a long time Pet Den surfer back in the 70/80/90s. Joe was a cool guy. Great surfer. humble. I only talked to him on the boardwalk but he was my neighbor for a long time.

R.I.P.
 04/08/2018 05:43 PM

Uncle Salty

Joined Forum: 09/19/2005

Surfed and hung out with Joe in the early years. Great guy. RIP
 04/09/2018 05:43 AM

Ragga P

Joined Forum: 03/14/2006

We had a great memorial for Joe at his last local break and there will be another paddle out for Joe at his first local break next Saturday at 10am. He will be truly missed by our crew and we will never forget the great times and his distinct laugh shared on the boardwalk
and in the water, with Surfer Joe.

Drone Image Courtesy of Alec Fasolas

Drone Image Courtesy of Alec Fasolas

-------------------------
 photo IMG_3156.jpg

Edited: 04/11/2018 at 02:28 PM by Ragga P
 04/10/2018 08:53 AM

mushmonster

Joined Forum: 12/08/2005

I remember looking up to him as a grom at Pet Den..... I hadn't seen him in About 20 years it seemed like he had disappeared .... Then a couple of years ago While renovating the air force pool on ascention island i here a voice calling my name?! It was Joey ( Bobo as the Islanders refer to him)..... he was leaving to head to the states the next day....here I was in the middle of the ocean on a remote island very uneasy about the whole situation when that familiar voice chimed out with a chuckle!! He Took me surfing at "Deadmans" that afternoon :... we surfed till dark sharing waves( he still ripped) partied with him that night...then picked me up in morning to show me where he stashed his boards so I could use them while he was gone... that's just the kind of guy he was....... really sad for all of our loss........

"The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits" Albert Einstein
 04/14/2018 07:56 AM

Central Floridave

Joined Forum: 07/22/2003

Just got back from Pet Den, really good turn out. Cool to see some old familiar faces.

I met one of his ex-ascension island coworkers on the boardwalk. Good stories.

R.I.P.
 04/15/2018 04:56 PM

surfsail

Joined Forum: 07/28/2003

Sad - went way too early..  

Just saw this - sorry missed the paddle outs.  

Humble and very friendly guy. Very glad I got to know him.

Went to Ascension in '08 for a 10 day stint and he took me out at POL, Deadmans and Chow Hall.  Shut down Volcano club... Had a classic island surf mobile..

Showed me a few incredible underwater videos he took out alone with a whaleshark, and offshore fishing for big tuna on his kayak. Had cohones! Definitely an all around waterman to the max.  Great memories of Ascension. Def broke the mold! 

Would run into him around SB about once a year after me he moved back.

Will be missed....

There are NO white people at all in the Bible... take all the time you need with that...
Please stop feeding the trolls - they will go away if you do...
 04/15/2018 05:47 PM

Ragga P

Joined Forum: 03/14/2006

Here is great footage from both paddle outs filmed and edited by the amazing Alec Fasolas for our friend, Surfer Joe Boman.

Joe Boman Paddle Outs Compilation Video filmed and edited by Alec Fasolas

photo IMG_3156.jpg
Statistics
146494 users are registered to the 2nd Light Forums forum.
There are currently 3 users logged in to the forum.

FuseTalk Basic Edition - © 1999-2024 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.

First there was Air Jordan .