Hey Matt B ... How the hell o are you ??? :)

2nd Light Forums
Decrease font size
Increase font size
Topic Title: Beach Access and Possession of Real Property Bill
Topic Summary:
Created On: 04/05/2018 12:27 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
1 2 Next Last unread
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 04/05/2018 12:27 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

UCF G

Joined Forum: 06/17/2004

The geniuses in state legislature just passed a bill that defines private beachfront property all the way to the high tide line. The bill goes into law July 1st and would essentially allow condos, hotels, business, property owners, etc to set up barriers and signs on the beach. Below is a link to the article with the bill. Not good..... Rick Scott Just Signed a Bill that Could make Many of Florida's Beaches Private
 04/05/2018 03:06 PM

garcia

Joined Forum: 03/12/2007

The beaches already were privately owned to the mean high tide line (which is a survey mark and has little to do with the actual high tide line which varies). However, when this private property had been used by the public for many years there was a presumption of "customary use" and the owner could not take away access or use unless he/she could prove that the public had not used it. The key point is that the burden of proof lay with the property owner to prove that it had not been used by the public. Now, with this new legislation, that burden of proof will be on the municipalities and/or citizens who will have to prove that it has been used and also will have to bear the cost of the litigation. This is just one of many issues in which the FL legislature has, for the past 15 years or so, taken the rights of citizens and municipalities away and given them to their contributors. (Look up "attacks on Home Rule".) It is why you should be paying attention when you vote and truly understanding where the candidates stand [not just putting your X next to the (R)]. Any more on this probably belongs in NSR.
 04/06/2018 07:02 PM

pompano

Joined Forum: 01/06/2005

Surfrider has an Info thread

04/06/2018 08:30 PM

Long Beard

Joined Forum: 05/13/2007

Maybe this will finally be the end of Rick Scott.

-------------------------
R I P Mama G.

@Salt.And.Savagery.Fishing

@Laserwolf.Laserwolf
 04/07/2018 04:32 AM

bluestreak

Joined Forum: 03/30/2009

Originally posted by: Long Beard Maybe this will finally be the end of Rick Scott.

Know the others stance on this issue? We have till November to figure this out.

04/07/2018 07:07 AM

CERTON

Joined Forum: 04/22/2011

NSR: Yo Gubna will be running for Senate.

We own around five hundred feet of oceanfront property here in Brevard split between residential and multi-unit commercial real estate and this “law” changes absolutely nothing about how we will continue to enforce the “Golden Rule”.

Keep the beaches clean and respect each other, so we can all enjoy it together.

If you trash the backyard, including not picking up your dog shit or otherwise disrespecting the neighborhood, the corrupt politicians and their laws will be the least of your concerns.  

And now for session #2 before these waves disappear.......  

"Don't count the days, make the days count." -Ali
#rydyrstrong
 04/07/2018 04:41 PM

garcia

This was another Republican led initiative. I am telling you guys (and gals), get educated and get involved. Get educated and VOTE! The assaults are not limited to this issue. They have been ongoing for the past 15 years (and it is not a coincidence that the Repugnicans have been the majority party during this period). (Ooops, there I go again, "NSR, NSR, NSR")
 04/07/2018 04:59 PM

rc

Joined Forum: 01/02/2006

This decision is a capitalist gone wrong attitude. It works both ways. You can't cross my beach, then what about condo dwellers who walk the beaches?
What about the state and federal tax dollars used to replenish sand (futile)?
If we get blocked, then we block our taxes paying for renourishment of 100% of coastline and our taxes only pay for the percentage of public access land and the beach front owners pay for theirs - or not - and watch the coastline implode.

A stupid decision not well thought out.
 04/07/2018 05:35 PM

artz

Joined Forum: 10/30/2014

Originally posted by: rc This decision is a capitalist gone wrong attitude. It works both ways. You can't cross my beach, then what about condo dwellers who walk the beaches? What about the state and federal tax dollars used to replenish sand (futile)? If we get blocked, then we block our taxes paying for renourishment of 100% of coastline and our taxes only pay for the percentage of public access land and the beach front owners pay for theirs - or not - and watch the coastline implode. A stupid decision not well thought out.

I just read a few comments about this Bill. Some legal minds are thinking that since the Hotels and Condos e. as well as privet property owners have benefited from Beach replenishment and beach improvement projects  They may not keep people off their Beach. Since they have benefited from all our tax Dollars. Cities hcounties are looking into legal action. This Bill might back fire on Rick Scott and the republicans big Time. Might be that Beach access will be open to all. The Beaches will be public domain. 

04/07/2018 08:24 PM

LBLarry

Joined Forum: 05/25/2004

Originally posted by: garcia

This was another Republican led initiative. I am telling you guys (and gals), get educated and get involved. Get educated and VOTE! The assaults are not limited to this issue. They have been ongoing for the past 15 years (and it is not a coincidence that the Repugnicans have been the majority party during this period). (Ooops, there I go again, "NSR, NSR, NSR")

Actually one of the 2 sponsors was a Miami-Dade Co. Democrat.

"Most people would die sooner than think; in fact, they do." - Bertrand Russell

"Morality is doing what is right, regardless of what you are told. Religion is doing what you are told, regardless of what is right.

If I do not answer you .... nothing personal, I just have you on ignore.
 04/08/2018 05:52 AM

dingpatch

Joined Forum: 07/24/2003

Yes, as I've read elsewhere, this was a "non-partisan" bill. And, as I said in the NSR thread, this is not Left versus Right, just a good old "Us" versus "Them".

Remember, , , , , "Left Wing", , , , , "Right Wing", , , , , SAME Bird.

Dora Hates You
 04/08/2018 07:09 AM

garcia

Yes, I knew that and just forgot. But, there is difference on most issues.
 04/08/2018 04:19 PM

LBLarry

Joined Forum: 05/25/2004

Originally posted by: garcia

Yes, I knew that and just forgot. But, there is difference on most issues.

agreed

"Most people would die sooner than think; in fact, they do." - Bertrand Russell

"Morality is doing what is right, regardless of what you are told. Religion is doing what you are told, regardless of what is right.

If I do not answer you .... nothing personal, I just have you on ignore.
 04/09/2018 11:03 AM

waterlizard25

Joined Forum: 07/18/2012

Money talks folks... The pee ons (us) will be kicked off the "private" beaches and trespassed for multiple encounters..  I cant wait to bring the drama and my massive DONT TREAD ON ME flag haha

Condo people are so easy to piss off already.. now its going to be comical.

Also the people who come up with this shit and live in the condos/mansions on the beach arent from Brevard or even Florida..

04/10/2018 06:40 AM

Plan B

Joined Forum: 03/08/2004

Originally posted by: artz
Originally posted by: rc This decision is a capitalist gone wrong attitude. It works both ways. You can't cross my beach, then what about condo dwellers who walk the beaches? What about the state and federal tax dollars used to replenish sand (futile)? If we get blocked, then we block our taxes paying for renourishment of 100% of coastline and our taxes only pay for the percentage of public access land and the beach front owners pay for theirs - or not - and watch the coastline implode. A stupid decision not well thought out.

I just read a few comments about this Bill. Some legal minds are thinking that since the Hotels and Condos e. as well as privet property owners have benefited from Beach replenishment and beach improvement projects  They may not keep people off their Beach. Since they have benefited from all our tax Dollars. Cities hcounties are looking into legal action. This Bill might back fire on Rick Scott and the republicans big Time. Might be that Beach access will be open to all. The Beaches will be public domain. 

Preface:  I DO NOT know the ins-and outs of this bill

I used to work for St. Johns County "Beach Services", and as many know, there's an ongoing contract with the ARmy Corps for a beach replenishment cycle.  One stipulation was that for the government funding of the projects, there had to be dedicated public beach access (I don't remember the #, but I believe a requirement was 50 parking spots per mile of beach (number could've been more, it's been about 4-5 years) so there may be some truth behind that.

Also another reason why certain sections of the county that probably need it more are not receiving it (I'm sure there are tourist lobbies at play, as well as some arguments that some erosion is due to the inlet)

04/10/2018 08:48 AM

jime

Joined Forum: 09/22/2003

in the House
the vote was: 95 yays 17 nays and 8 absent that passed this bill

drum roll....
how many of the nays were republicans?

drum roll...

ZERO!!!!

100 percent of the representatives that opposed this bill were Democrats
 04/10/2018 08:48 AM

jime

in the House

drum roll....

drum roll...

ZERO!!!!

04/10/2018 08:50 AM

jime

in the House

drum roll....

drum roll...

ZERO!!!!

04/10/2018 08:57 AM

jime

sorry for the repetitive post, I tried taking the second down and ended up with a 3peat
 04/10/2018 09:36 AM

UCF G

Joined Forum: 06/17/2004

Originally posted by: pompano Surfrider has an Info thread

This provides a great write up and explanation of the bill. I actually read the bill and it's a bunch of "legal-ese" with the beach access provisions hidden away at the end of the bill. I for one was caught off guard by the bill and didn't find out about it until it passed. It sucks to see the public beaches slowly being carved up and handed out to wealthy property owner's and special interests, basically unnoticed.
Statistics
146494 users are registered to the 2nd Light Forums forum.
There are currently 0 users logged in to the forum.

FuseTalk Basic Edition - © 1999-2024 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.

First there was Air Jordan .