Hey Matt B ... How the hell o are you ??? :)

2nd Light Forums
Decrease font size
Increase font size
Topic Title: Nicaragua in March
Topic Summary: advice, best bet march?
Created On: 02/07/2018 07:21 AM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 02/07/2018 07:21 AM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

KookyMontsa

Joined Forum: 01/25/2018

I'm a little behind on planning a trip in mid march andd was thinking nicaragua. Never been before but have been doing some reading of the many nicaragua info threads on here...saw a few posts about others scoring in march and others dealing with some colder water and strong offshores. 

So this leads me to ask if anyone else can share their experience on surfing nica in march? Is there a better region/area to stay in march to avoid too strong of winds or should I stay in a more centrally located camp that can venture north/south?

I'll be traveling solo or possibly with another buddy whos waiting to confirm his vacation days at work so most likely considering going the camp route. Thinking PSL, surf sanctuary or up north la barra or miramar camps. Looking like a 7-9 day trip.

Any advice is greatly appreciated. Also not completely set on nica, so open to other suggestions...was considering el salvador and salina cruz(heard wind can be a problem too in march)

Thanks in advance

02/07/2018 08:24 AM

surferKev07

Joined Forum: 06/08/2007

I've been to Nicaragua several times and the earliest in the season I went was in June. The wave at Colorados was not the same in June. The surf was good, but not what I scored on previous trips. That said, you might catch it without the crowds. That could more than make up for the sand bars being a bit off.
 02/07/2018 06:18 PM

BLat

Joined Forum: 10/28/2010

you could check out boom in northern nicaragua if the swell is small

02/07/2018 08:02 PM

miker

Joined Forum: 04/05/2010

Colorados sort of sucks now. There will literally be 40 guys sitting there even when the surf is small
 02/08/2018 06:38 AM

SonSurf

Joined Forum: 10/13/2010

Miker its more like 140 ! The drought is over and all the sand is where it should be now . The boom is a good choice !!!! March can be epic if there is a swell in the water I say GO!!!!

BEEN GOING TO NICA FOR 10YRS NOW STILL SO MANY SPOT THAT NOT MANY KNOW ABOUT.....

02/08/2018 09:31 AM

surferKev07

Joined Forum: 06/08/2007

My last trip was in the middle of the drought and that was part of the problem. I've been going there for a long time too and I was shocked by the number of people in the water. What really really bothered me was how many beginner-level surfers were out in solidly overhead surf. Bodies and boards all over the place. It was dangerous to say the least. I still love the place and will probably go back again this summer. It's hard to say no to SW swell and and all-day offshore winds.
 02/08/2018 09:12 PM

nicacondo

Joined Forum: 05/24/2011

You obviously have done your research.  March can be strong offshores and cold water for sure.  Crowd is now a factor no matter what time of the year as there are a lot of full time "locals" living down there.  The sandbars are fine now but do get better in the rainy season.  Camps are one of the more expensive options and there are plenty of other options these days.  All that being said, I have had some great trips in March and April.  It's a surf trip, you win some, you lose some.

02/09/2018 05:21 AM

miker

Joined Forum: 04/05/2010

The crowd could be dealt with if half of them weren't from Brazil
 02/09/2018 06:14 AM

stokedpanda

Joined Forum: 09/04/2015

Originally posted by: miker

The crowd could be dealt with if half of them weren't from Brazil

Dilly Dilly!

-------------------------
I troll 2L.com to be a better person in real life
 02/09/2018 11:12 AM

SlimyBritches

Joined Forum: 01/08/2016

I used to get to go to CR before 05. The best time for there is 2 weeks after Semana Santa. Deals galore.
 02/09/2018 06:35 PM

KookyMontsa

Joined Forum: 01/25/2018

Thanks for weighing in guys I appreciate the comments.

@nicacondo yeah thats a good point haha win some lose some, better than sitting at home regardless...yeah definitely more expensive but figured might as well for the first time down there.

Should be pulling the trigger in the next day or two, hope to give a good report come march

02/09/2018 07:47 PM

nicacondo

no problemo.  if you need help planning your trip just shoot me an email.  i can find you a place within your budget.  can also get you a ride to wherever you want to go.  camps make it easy but you pay a steep price for that.  FYI we are going from my daugther's spring break in mid march.  two years ago it was really good then and not that crowded.  you never know until you go!

playacoloradocondo@me.com

02/09/2018 07:48 PM

nicacondo

no problemo.  if you need help planning your trip just shoot me an email.  i can find you a place within your budget.  can also get you a ride to wherever you want to go.  camps make it easy but you pay a steep price for that.  FYI we are going from my daugther's spring break in mid march.  two years ago it was really good then and not that crowded.  you never know until you go!

playacoloradocondo@me.com

02/14/2018 08:37 AM

daner

Joined Forum: 04/20/2004

Anyone heard of Surf Escape surf camp in Nica near the Playgrounds break.

How is that area for consistency and quality compared to the Panga Drop area?

-------------------------
Replace turf grass with native plants that don't need irrigation and synthetic fertilizers or chemicals that can go into our waterways and ocean

Statistics
146494 users are registered to the 2nd Light Forums forum.
There are currently 1 users logged in to the forum.

FuseTalk Basic Edition - © 1999-2024 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.

First there was Air Jordan .