Hey Matt B ... How the hell o are you ??? :)

2nd Light Forums
Decrease font size
Increase font size
Topic Title: East Coast Surfing Hall of Fame Legend Joe Twombly
Topic Summary: R.I.P.
Created On: 01/29/2018 07:09 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 01/29/2018 07:09 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Central Floridave

Joined Forum: 07/22/2003

Saw on FB he passed away yesterday. Rest In Peace.
 01/30/2018 04:49 AM

surfersensei

Joined Forum: 12/02/2003

For those of you not familiar with Joe, He was an original member of Dick Catri's Hobie surf team which included Gary Propper, Mike Tabeling, Claude Codgen and Mimi Monroe. You can find out more here: http://www.floridasurfmuseum.org/kahunas
 01/30/2018 06:06 AM

stokedpanda

Joined Forum: 09/04/2015

Wow he will be missed, one heck of an artist, I love looking at the nautical furniture he would make, always reminds me of the beach side lifestyle.

-------------------------
I troll 2L.com to be a better person in real life
 01/30/2018 06:10 AM

jdbman

Joined Forum: 07/28/2003

Legend
A great surfer.

RIP Joe

So if you are a surfer I wish you the prosperity that allows you more time to pursue the salt water dream, and the true happiness that comes from warm water, clean waves and the companionship of your fellow surfers. If you are an internet troll just spewing bs then f off.
 01/30/2018 07:05 AM

spurgeon

Joined Forum: 06/05/2006

Nobody ever had more fun surfing than Joe.
 01/30/2018 07:46 AM

IHBPatrick

Joined Forum: 05/14/2009

Geez, last time I saw Joe he looked great. Bought two of his remaining hatch covers as he was closing his shop. He told some GREAT stories from the old days. HIs father in law was a chemist and Joe related stories about resin formulas used in his work. He always credited his sister Betsy with getting him into surfing. He would use her unattended board to sneak out and catch some waves. 

Sincerest condolences to his wife and daughter. He was truly one of the good guys.

01/30/2018 11:36 AM
User is online View Users Profile Print this message

garcia

Joined Forum: 03/12/2007

I was a S. Patrick Shores boy, so, I didn't really know Joe until I moved to Mel Bch in '88. The first time I remember seeing Joe surf was shortly after that. He was riding some old beat to crap board that was too small for him and wrapping five on an almond eye left, screaming, "Just like Ala Moana!!" The next time I remember seeing him was on the 1991 Halloween swell ("Trick or treat, it's 20 ft"). He and I and only a few others made it out across from his house. He was undergunned (again) and I was on a 9-6 Codgen, both of us drawing our turns waaaay out (after spinning out and eating crap on our first waves). He always kept me in stitches. Joey could tell a story or two (or ten). No matter how long or short he knew you, he treated you like his best and only friend. I will miss him.
 01/30/2018 02:24 PM

boardheads

Joined Forum: 10/23/2003

quite the artist and surfer, RIP Joe, making sandcastles in the sky

Bored without my board...

BoardHeads2.com
FLSurfCams.com
 03/14/2018 04:52 AM

Central Floridave

Joined Forum: 07/22/2003

Celebration of Life - Joe Twombly

Saturday, March 24 at 9:30 AM - 12:30 PM
Next Week

Sebastian Inlet State Park

http://www.facebook.com/events...?active_tab=discussion
 03/23/2018 11:52 AM
User is online View Users Profile Print this message

garcia

Joined Forum: 03/12/2007

I wanted to bump this to the top of the forum. I missed it the first time. Joe was a great guy and a great surfer and a credit to the community. I hope there is a huge turnout. His passing should not go unnoticed by our community. I will definitely be there tomorrow, but, have not seen any details, so, if somebody can provide them, please do.
 03/23/2018 03:29 PM

rc

Joined Forum: 01/02/2006

I first met Joe in 1979 when my roommate worked for him.
My brothers tried in the mid 70s to build resin tables with those hatch doors. When I saw his tables, OMG. He was the master.

About 6 years ago I saw a house for sale by owner in CB. The lady let us in to see it, and it was decked out with Joe's furniture.

From 1979 to 2010, he had progressed his craft even more. The guy was an amazing artist.

You stare at his pieces, just so well done. Like snorkeling in the Keys.

About 3 years ago, there was a house on Atlantic Street just north of Ocean Ave for sale by owner, called the number on the sign. It was Joe. We talked for about an hour.

What a cool guy. Never surfed with him, but when you talk to some people you just know. Garcia nailed it. Like he was your best friend.

R.I.P. Joe.
 03/24/2018 05:09 AM

palerider

Joined Forum: 03/09/2005

RIP He use to buy shells off my folks For his tables. Everyday we keep Seeing another generation pass. People are definately not built Built like they use to.......

Style is what you make it!
Statistics
146499 users are registered to the 2nd Light Forums forum.
There are currently 2 users logged in to the forum.

FuseTalk Basic Edition - © 1999-2024 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.

First there was Air Jordan .