Hey Matt B ... How the hell o are you ??? :)

2nd Light Forums
Decrease font size
Increase font size
Topic Title: The Simplest Solution to Restore First Peak
Topic Summary: New Edit
Created On: 11/28/2017 07:20 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
<< 1 2 3 Previous Next Last unread
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 12/03/2017 06:22 AM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Cloudsurfer

Joined Forum: 03/09/2010

I think the 80 ft.addded to the jetty along wirlth the northern angle just pushed the peak further up the beach and not next to the jetty! Now we have to many peaks, it's just not concentreted. In one spot. I believe the extension is th culprit! That's my opinion! 

12/03/2017 06:23 AM

Cloudsurfer

Joined Forum: 03/09/2010

The extension and angle is what did it.

12/03/2017 06:47 AM

goynleft

Joined Forum: 01/12/2010

Regulation.  You should have regulated the Corps from the extension with the same force 1st peak was regualted when it was good.  It was extreemly hard to get a wave there as that was the most regulated peak on the East coast with a true pecking order.  I think you need to divide that $90K up between the 15-20 guys that will be getting 95% of the peaks.  But I hope it does happen because I will sign back up with NSSA and surf my way into ECC again  and get a few 20-30 min heats with only 3 other guys.  That was the easiest way for me to pick off juicy ones.  Not hate but pure fact.

12/03/2017 09:32 AM

Cole

Joined Forum: 07/22/2003

I want it to work, that's why I thinking of all the possibilities, pro and con.

-------------------------
I was right.
 12/03/2017 11:37 AM

frothing321

Joined Forum: 01/29/2017

I don't get why Kelly won't just pay for the whole thing. Or someone else in the surf world who has a lot of money. How about a company? 90k for a giant industry brand to pay for it and they'd make 10x the money back from the publicity and more sales. It just seems weird to me that this hasn't happened yet. 

12/03/2017 04:48 PM

chopola

Joined Forum: 09/04/2004

Just lash some plywood to the darn piles and prove it will bring back the bounce. Get a few photos and the money will pour in. To be honest, I still cant believe they are gonna let you install something that is gonna take away the dissipating properties of the construction.
 12/03/2017 05:10 PM

Cole

Joined Forum: 07/22/2003

Originally posted by: chopola

Just lash some plywood to the darn piles and prove it will bring back the bounce. Get a few photos and the money will pour in. To be honest, I still cant believe they are gonna let you install something that is gonna take away the dissipating properties of the construction.

Good idea. One inch should do just fine.

I was right.
 12/03/2017 05:13 PM

SoHiGH

Joined Forum: 07/10/2015

Originally posted by: Cloudsurfer

The extension and angle is what did it.

I get that all the time... Puff puff, pass

12/04/2017 07:40 AM

Joined Forum: 01/26/2005

Doesn't the worm rock already prove this on a seasonal basis? ...and it doesn't even make a continuous reflective wall.

If you're not part of the solution, you're part of the precipitate.
 12/04/2017 09:42 AM

satbch

Joined Forum: 09/19/2006

12/05/2017 06:04 AM

ClaimingDFL

Joined Forum: 01/18/2004

Originally posted by: Karma
Originally posted by: chopola Just lash some plywood to the darn piles and prove it will bring back the bounce. Get a few photos and the money will pour in. To be honest, I still cant believe they are gonna let you install something that is gonna take away the dissipating properties of the construction.
Doesn't the worm rock already prove this on a seasonal basis? ...and it doesn't even make a continuous reflective wall.
Bingo! In the interest of helping out the FPP, I'll confirm there's been a big improvement in the amount of bounce over the last month down there. Had a couple sessions where there was actually breaking reflection waves rolling into the peak. You can also clearly see all of the extra worm rock that has grown in around the new pilings, particularly in the period from the mid tide down to low and back up.
 12/05/2017 08:18 AM

matt_t

Joined Forum: 10/21/2003

Originally posted by: ClaimingDFL

Bingo! In the interest of helping out the FPP, I'll confirm there's been a big improvement in the amount of bounce over the last month down there. Had a couple sessions where there was actually breaking reflection waves rolling into the peak. You can also clearly see all of the extra worm rock that has grown in around the new pilings, particularly in the period from the mid tide down to low and back up.

All the storm activity from the fall blasted out a lot of the sand.. and bam!

12/05/2017 09:07 AM

ClaimingDFL

Originally posted by: matt_t
Originally posted by: chopola Just lash some plywood to the darn piles and prove it will bring back the bounce. Get a few photos and the money will pour in. To be honest, I still cant believe they are gonna let you install something that is gonna take away the dissipating properties of the construction.
I wouldn't say that! Check out SebastianInletCam.com for the monitoring camera the Sebastian Inlet Tax District has set up. You can review the north panorama angle over the last few months and actually see the beach fill back in! It's gotten shallower, not deeper, since our fall northerly swells have started up again and there's a nice photo record courtesy of the Sebastian Inlet Tax Distruct to prove it.
 12/05/2017 02:36 PM

matt_t

Joined Forum: 10/21/2003

Originally posted by: matt_t

I wouldn't say that! Check out SebastianInletCam.com for the monitoring camera the Sebastian Inlet Tax District has set up. You can review the north panorama angle over the last few months and actually see the beach fill back in! It's gotten shallower, not deeper, since our fall northerly swells have started up again and there's a nice photo record courtesy of the Sebastian Inlet Tax Distruct to prove it.

I know the site well... Look at the N view from say Aug 15th and compare it to today's image. Huge difference in the ammt of sand before the stormy fall and today. Plus the sandbars causing our issues are in the nearshore zone.

Go back and look at all the epic first peak pics from the Momma G era (RIP). many years after the new jetty yet pre mass beach re-nourishment.

Go back through the archive pics you mention. natural build up in summers and then scrapped out through the fall/winter. today's N facing pic has a lot less sand than a few months back.

I'm all for FPP's effort to try something. I get it. I'm just being realistic about all the factors involved.
 12/05/2017 04:55 PM

pompano

Joined Forum: 01/06/2005

you guys should just stop the random, amateur, wave cam hypothesizing.  Give the professionsals at FPP that actually know wave dynamics some support.  I said I'd match it.  

12/05/2017 07:49 PM

K07

Joined Forum: 09/02/2012

What a difference that link shows with the solid swell and proper form satbch!  I think it's very important to not look at little fun windswell pics/vids and think something is different.. That link shows what we now miss when a real swell is in the water.. The right wind swell still wedges/barrells there good enough but that isn't what made it famous!

Thanks for the Surfline link FPP that's awesome you got to sit down with them, so you must have their contact info so reach out for collaboration and their input on the science (I will contact as well via email)...

And that's why I mentioned LOLA because it's incredible but the potential/logic of it can't just be limited to forecasts.  LOLA could be tailored to show how groundswell filters into 1st with different swell parameters on a scale local to Sebastian Inlet so we'd know whether or not this factor has changed at all.

Like they've done for Long Island, NY and the Hudson Canyon/Channel for past swells.  And like it can explain Scripps Pier getting robbed when Blacks goes off.  If swell isn't getting in and/or focused the same compared with previous bathymetry input then that's by far a bigger problem than details on what would make it wedgier or hollower (we wouldn't wonder why Scripps isn't barrelling when Black's is right)?  We know Monster Hole has gained sand, that box is checked, so we need to dig a little further there, to have a breakthrough or rule it out.

Don't over complicate... Before the wave was excellent and now it's not.  Start making comparisons, checking boxes, and narrowing down possibilities.

Also, what about a scaled down mini version of your idea via two tests (1. current version with solid core but outer/open pillings, 2. same thing but with closed off pillings), then generate adjacent wave energy that is a constant and measure the change in reflective energy between the two.

Bringing back a wave is a pipe dream by all means but if you can understand the physical properties it would take then you can know whether or not it's possible for it to become more than just a pipe dream.. This is the stage this project is in imho so keep pushing because it's possible to know more still!

12/05/2017 09:31 PM

ClaimingDFL

pompano Your offer to the FPP is very commendable. Much respect for making the commitment to support them. Having said that, your last comment was pretty disrespectful. If someone makes a statement with facts to back it up, what's amateur about that? I'm supporting the FPP by pointing out things that align with their analysis. It is a fact that the worm rock has built back up on the outer pilings over the last few months. Anyone can go there and see it plain as day. It is also a fact that there is more reflection happening now than there was a few months ago as anyone who surfs there on a regular basis will tell you. For matt_t it is also a fact that the camera does not lie and that there is more sand on the beach and in the surf zone now than there was on August 15th. Both pics were within 30 minutes of low tide and in the August image you can clearly see the stack of old broken pilings near shore that are now covered up in the image from today. If you're going start talking about sand being shifted in the nearshore zone (beyond the surf line), that's purely conjecture and I highly doubt you have any evidence to support that. Why did I bother chasing this? If we're going to have a truly meaningful discussion on this topic, we need to actually use facts and not simply throw unsubstantiated comments out there.
 12/06/2017 08:13 AM

CERTON

Joined Forum: 04/22/2011

@pompano
You'll match contributions dollar for dollar?

"Don't count the days, make the days count." -Ali
#rydyrstrong
 12/06/2017 04:26 PM

pompano

Joined Forum: 01/06/2005

What is amateur is exactly this:  You and I are not professionals in how to detail improvements to wave conditions based on reflective boundary conditions.  We don't have experience to make qualified judgements to that fact.  Thus, we are amateurs by definition.  It is not disrespectful at all.  Worm rock comes and goes.  I can guarantee you that a wave will break based on the height of the wave to the depth of water to the sand beneath it, not based on how much sand is on the beach.  That is a fact.  My point goes directly to what FPP is talking about tackling.  Fixing the condition that will directly improve the rebound wave.  It sucks right now.  The engineered structure has to be improved.  They are not moving sand.  Sand is a secondary thing.  You can talk about sand all day long.  FPP is not going to do anything directly related to that.  You have aptly shown sand transport results in those pics.  It will always happen.  Fact. It will always be changing.  I'm not disrespecting you, I'm telling you what FPP has talked about ad infinitum as to what they hope to achieve first. 

Certon, as I stated earlier in this thread, I would match up to a cumulative kilobuck of total donations.  All my tithing goes to ocean, reef, and beach related causes.  It is my give back to the community that I live in.

12/06/2017 06:12 PM

LBLarry

Joined Forum: 05/25/2004

All my tithing goes to ocean, reef, and beach related causes. It is my give back to the community that I live in.

Mad props!!

"Most people would die sooner than think; in fact, they do." - Bertrand Russell

"Morality is doing what is right, regardless of what you are told. Religion is doing what you are told, regardless of what is right.

If I do not answer you .... nothing personal, I just have you on ignore.
FORUMS : Surfing : The Simplest Solution to Restore First Peak

<< 1 2 3 Previous Next Last unread
Topic Tools Topic Tools
Statistics
146495 users are registered to the 2nd Light Forums forum.
There are currently 0 users logged in to the forum.

FuseTalk Basic Edition - © 1999-2024 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.

First there was Air Jordan .