Hey Matt B ... How the hell o are you ??? :)

2nd Light Forums
Decrease font size
Increase font size
Topic Title: Hot tub after surfing
Topic Summary:
Created On: 11/16/2017 12:31 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
1 2 Next Last unread
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 11/16/2017 12:31 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

tingo

Joined Forum: 09/22/2004

I put surfing cause I need answer quick.

Who owns a jacuzzi.

How long does it take to get hot.

this is a buillt in one on side of pool.

its becoming a sticking point on my new purchase of house.

they are great after SURFING

11/16/2017 12:37 PM

stokedpanda

Joined Forum: 09/04/2015

Originally posted by: tingo

I put surfing cause I need answer quick.

Who owns a jacuzzi.

How long does it take to get hot.

this is a buillt in one on side of pool.

its becoming a sticking point on my new purchase of house.

they are great after SURFING

how long depends on type, and power source, gas solar etc.

-------------------------
I troll 2L.com to be a better person in real life
 11/16/2017 12:42 PM

tingo

its electric, it fits about 4-5 people

11/16/2017 01:00 PM

stokedpanda

Joined Forum: 09/04/2015

I'd say most take about 10 mins to get to 90/100*

I troll 2L.com to be a better person in real life
 11/16/2017 01:15 PM

tingo

I now have learned there are two systems. One is a heat pump and the other is a pool heater. The pool heater uses a hot element and the pool pump works off freon, yes freon but very effecient.

anybody have a say on this????

Thanks

11/16/2017 02:12 PM

StirfryMcflurry

Joined Forum: 08/17/2016

11/16/2017 02:43 PM

mike_32951

Joined Forum: 12/05/2006

We have a gas one and it gets hot pretty quick, 10 minutes and it'll be warm, 30 and it can be blazing hot. What you really want is the automation so you can turn it on through your phone so it's hot when you get home.
 11/16/2017 03:18 PM

MR

Joined Forum: 08/06/2007

We have an electric heat pump. Generally in cold months, it takes 1 hour for every 10 degree rise in temp. If its not that cold out, its a little less time than that. And ours is also attached to the pool, sits about 6 people.

11/16/2017 03:34 PM

CERTON

Joined Forum: 04/22/2011

Yezzir our gas heater gets it hot in ~10 mins just set valves to isolate jets and return to hot tub.

"Don't count the days, make the days count." -Ali
#rydyrstrong

Edited: 11/16/2017 at 05:07 PM by CERTON
 11/16/2017 04:39 PM

mushmonster

Joined Forum: 12/08/2005

to calculate the length of time it takes to heat a hot tub (Jaccuzzi is a brand name) you have to take into account many variables...IE: size (BTU output) and type of heater,distance from heater to hot tub,beginning water temp,beginning air temp (this is especially important with heat pump) etc.....if the hot tub is attached to a swimming pool and they share one body of water, the water temp typically must be brought to heated temp upon demand.....isolated hot tubs are typically maintained at the desired temp with a cover..........I am a commercial swimming pool contractor so if you need more info feel free to PM me.......My hot tub (shared) is approximately 100' from my heater (400k BTU) gas , this time of year my water temp is around 77 deg and takes about 30 min to reach 101 there are pluses and minuses for free standing verses shared water tubs...stand alone tubs have a much higher pollution content per volume of water and can be difficult to keep sanitary(they are sometimes referred to in the industry as petri dishes) but they are typically ready instantly. pool/spa combination pools can be more aesthetically pleasing and are easy to maintain but take a while to heat up to be ready for use......with my automation on my pool this isn't a problem as i can control my system from my phone so its ready when i get home from surfing

"The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits" Albert Einstein
 11/16/2017 06:31 PM

SlimyBritches

Joined Forum: 01/08/2016

I had a friend in Duck NC that bought a house in the early 70's, down the hill from Duck Campgrounds. He carved street signs and such for the Barrier Island resort. The first thing build was the inside pool with a hot tub. that winter, before housing construction was started, we just jump in after a surf. It'll mess up a wetsuit. My buddy stood up really fast and the water rushed down and blew out his leg. My Baily got unlaminated around the legs and arms. But still, hot tubs are the best.
 11/16/2017 06:56 PM

ummm

Joined Forum: 03/24/2014

I had a pool builder add one to the side of my pool, and join the plumbing with the pool. The bids were between 23-26k. I took the 23k one, which turned into 25k with normal issues arising...and it took 9 months. Don't do it.

11/21/2017 11:32 AM

fausteddie

Joined Forum: 08/10/2009

I had a pool built 2 years ago and put a hot tub added to the design. We use propane to heat and gets to 100 in about 15 minutes (when the pool is around 70). We use the hell out of it and it is getting ready to be in full swing.

Watch out for the jellyfish!

11/21/2017 12:31 PM

Ragga P

Joined Forum: 03/14/2006

WARNING... as amazing as it may feel to jump right in with your wettie on, straight out of the ocean, I have found that it creates a nightmare for trying to balance the water chems afterwards.

photo IMG_3156.jpg
 11/22/2017 05:06 AM

Ripper65

Joined Forum: 12/08/2003

She can help...............

Well then...........DO IT!!!
 11/22/2017 07:43 AM

tingo

Yea, she would help, 

Help me get divorced...lol

11/22/2017 08:07 AM

Greensleeves

Joined Forum: 07/22/2003

I have hot tub/pool combo. It's nice the problem is I don't want to heat whole pool and large whole pool heaters are $4K and ready to take a $hit from the moment you add them. 

Anyone have experience with plumbing a smaller heater in?

fausteddie is your heater for the pool or hot tub?

11/22/2017 10:39 AM

fausteddie

Joined Forum: 08/10/2009

Originally posted by: Greensleeves I have hot tub/pool combo. It's nice the problem is I don't want to heat whole pool and large whole pool heaters are $4K and ready to take a $hit from the moment you add them. 

Anyone have experience with plumbing a smaller heater in?

fausteddie is your heater for the pool or hot tub?

Both but I use it mainly for the hot tub

heat.jpg
heat.jpg  (50 KB)
pool.jpg
pool.jpg  (72 KB)
 11/22/2017 10:55 AM

Greensleeves

Joined Forum: 07/22/2003

Thanks!

11/23/2017 04:19 PM

paddleout

Joined Forum: 07/31/2003

I have a standard "spillover" spa that is heated by propane and was built along with my pool.

My advice is: don't do it this way.

Have the spa built along with the pool, sure.. BUT

have the spa plumbed separate from the main pool. so you can cycle the water separately, and heat only the spa water with an *electric* heater. So basically it works just like an above ground spa, but its built in-ground for aesthetics.

The main pool should be able to run its filter pump and cycle its own water *without* affecting the spa water.. which should cycle in it own closed system.

The reason you want to do this is because it is WAY cheaper to heat with electric, and you can keep the water hot at all times. Using a cover or surface mat will cut costs as well by insulating the water.

Propane works well, but Amerigas and the other propane companies are a huge ripoff and the propane will blow a hole in your pocket.. (plus they are just a pain) Then, every time you are done heating and using the spa- the hot water will just "spillover" into your pool- totally wasting all the heat.

So sure, it will heat up in 20 minutes, but then 1 hour later you will throw it all away and start over from scratch the next time.

Just add a separate waterfall for that effect and ditch the spillover system. Then keep the spa warm with electric- which is:

*Quieter

*Cheaper

* takes longer to heat up the first time, but then stays hot after that all the time, which = more usage.

* Less wasteful

You need to request this specifically to get a pool company to build it this way.

My 2c
FORUMS : Surfing : Hot tub after surfing

1 2 Next Last unread
Topic Tools Topic Tools
Statistics
146495 users are registered to the 2nd Light Forums forum.
There are currently 3 users logged in to the forum.

FuseTalk Basic Edition - © 1999-2024 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.

First there was Air Jordan .