Hey Matt B ... How the hell o are you ??? :)

2nd Light Forums
Decrease font size
Increase font size
Topic Title: Science Magazine "dishes" out all the details of the Kelly Slater wave machine thingy, , , ,
Topic Summary:
Created On: 11/10/2017 06:39 AM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
1 2 Next Last unread
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 11/10/2017 06:39 AM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

dingpatch

Joined Forum: 07/24/2003

Science Magazine

-------------------------
Dora Hates You
 11/10/2017 07:16 AM
User is online View Users Profile Print this message

johnnyboy

Joined Forum: 07/22/2003

That's the best video of it so far. This wave is like the pontoon boat. It's doable anywhere.

"One of the reasons why propaganda tries to get you to hate government is because it's the one existing institution in which people can participate to some extent and constrain tyrannical unaccountable power." Noam Chomsky.

11/10/2017 07:24 AM

Sector9surf

Joined Forum: 01/14/2010

Thumbs up. All we need are a couple of pontoon boats and shallow water. Lets head to the Lagoon and give it a try.

11/11/2017 05:28 AM

Northjetty101

Joined Forum: 08/20/2010

It's basically emulating the bow wave of a tanker, for the thrust of the swell source. Then adding exact bottom reef contours for the bow wave to break over.

I wonder if Kelly could slap together a mock model of the Canaveral pier for the bow wave track part?

Maybe contour the bottom to emulate the pier sand bar on NE swell direction, with bent rights running down the pier?

Then maybe mycatspray's will go for it, pay the big bucks for the park ride......
 11/11/2017 07:58 AM

RiddleMe

Joined Forum: 07/21/2011

Doubt he could afford it. Would just make him more jealous and bitter of Kelly than he already is.

11/11/2017 08:22 AM

ww

Joined Forum: 08/17/2007

A week when I was too busy to check the magazine. . .   This story will reach a broad, worldwide audience.  Science explains science to scientists.  

11/12/2017 06:06 PM

RocketSurf

Joined Forum: 03/20/2014

That's how you get surfing into the Olympics....
 11/13/2017 04:09 AM

MyCatSprays

Joined Forum: 04/16/2015

You web fags just cant help yourselves huh?!?! First off, wouldn't surf his Cali abomination of nature if I had a full invite and a private jet waiting at OIA!! Secondly, I nor any of yall will ever be able to surf his "S. Florida Wave Garden", no matter how many clams you'll pony up because it will never happen!! Not a shovel of dirt moved yet, and Ziff Bros. Billions bought the land and greased some Palm Beach pockets, but the State zoning, surveying, and agricultural permits are far from any approval whatsoever, and so hard to get in actuality. Its gonna get shot full of holes and shelved just like his original idea of one on the OBX in Nags Head got "beheaded" by the state of NC. More "Pipedreams"!!!!

Tubes, Boobs, & Doobs!!!
 11/13/2017 06:28 AM

puinsai

Joined Forum: 09/08/2011

So this may be a dumb question... Is it salt water cause I've never read or heard otherwise ? 

11/13/2017 07:43 AM

WG

Joined Forum: 03/10/2005

I've tried with no success to get a handle on how much energy it requires to make each wave, what its carbon footprint is.

"The truth is incontrovertible.
malice may attack it,
ignorance may deride it,
but in the end,
there it is." -Sir Winston Churchill
 11/13/2017 07:47 AM

ww

Joined Forum: 08/17/2007

I think the Slater site is in a business/industrial park.  Not agricultural.

11/13/2017 10:05 AM

dingpatch

Joined Forum: 07/24/2003

11/13/2017 10:37 AM

waterlizard25

Joined Forum: 07/18/2012

MYKITTYTWINKLES Why are all of your posts negative... Every single one.. I dont get it.  You MUST get payed to sit at your "moms condo" with kelly slater posters all over her walls while you scream "if coach just put me in the 4th quarter we would have won state!" Go to the MSW or Surfline forums to troll. Your annoying presence would not be missed on 2ndlight. No one cares about your shoulda coulda woulda opinions. You call out everyone and everything but havent looked in the mirror since you were "freinds" with the King(kelly). Grow up and get over yourself.

11/13/2017 10:49 AM

tom

Joined Forum: 07/25/2003

WG - I was wondering the same thing.  Not my field so I'm kinda lost in getting a realistic comparison.

This was easy to find:  A wave with a height of 2 m and a wavelength of 14 m breaking along 2 km of coastline (surface area = 32,000 m2) has approximately 45 kWh of energy. This is roughly equivalent to one gallon of gasoline, which contains about 160 million (1.6 x 108) joules (J) of energy.

https://manoa.hawaii.edu/exploringourfluidearth/physical/waves/wave-energy-and-wave-changes-depth 

Then figure that a car only gets 15-20% of the energy out of gasoline in work so maybe 5:1?

Still doesn't seem to be a huge expenditure of kWh.  

add a signature since I'm here in profile anyway
 11/13/2017 10:53 AM

vtecmonster

Joined Forum: 10/02/2007

Originally posted by: MyCatSprays You web fags just cant help yourselves huh?!?! First off, wouldn't surf his Cali abomination of nature if I had a full invite and a private jet waiting at OIA!! Secondly, I nor any of yall will ever be able to surf his "S. Florida Wave Garden", no matter how many clams you'll pony up because it will never happen!! Not a shovel of dirt moved yet, and Ziff Bros. Billions bought the land and greased some Palm Beach pockets, but the State zoning, surveying, and agricultural permits are far from any approval whatsoever, and so hard to get in actuality. Its gonna get shot full of holes and shelved just like his original idea of one on the OBX in Nags Head got "beheaded" by the state of NC. More "Pipedreams"!!!!

I agree, it's going to be really hard to get a wave pool done in the state of Florida. ...there's only Blizzard Beach, Typhoon Lagoon, Adventure Island, Wet n Wild (closed), Valcano Bay, Six Flags Atlantis (closed),  Wild Waters ... is there more I'm missing? 

11/13/2017 11:28 AM

MyCatSprays

Hadnt said dick in a while there CessPoolGecko and your "wawawawa" is just as nauseating as my "negativity"!!! Also referring to the last post!! Yes, and all those so called "Wavepools) are 60 plus miles from any coast; Not one has ever been approved in a coastal county (ie: KS and Buffet shot down on a Canaveral idea years ago. And lastly, all previously mentioned wavepools were built inside existing "theme parks" on some of the highest ground in CFL and far above the aquifer. Maybe the Ziffs billions will help, but Id bet my left nut noone will be surfing the KSWaveCo. Wave Garden in Palm Beach County by New Years Day, 2020. It's a legal, environmental, ecological, and geograpical conundrum, as was KSWC's OBX/Nags Head gig shot down last year and the gig he and Jimmy Buffet proposed to Brevard/Port Authority 5 years ago!! I dont have a problem with Kelly building a wavepark at all; I just seriously doubt it will happen in Palm Beach nor any other coastal county in Florida!! And WaterSkink, GFY web fag!!!

Tubes, Boobs, & Doobs!!!
 11/13/2017 12:13 PM

waterlizard25

Joined Forum: 07/18/2012

I seriously doubt you have a brain in your head PUSSYLITTER

11/13/2017 12:14 PM

ncsurf

Joined Forum: 02/23/2011

Never was going to be a wave pool up here on the Outer Banks...unless you are referring to the april fools joke from a few years ago that Real did. Outside of that, continue ranting...

Originally posted by: MyCatSprays Hadnt said dick in a while there CessPoolGecko and your "wawawawa" is just as nauseating as my "negativity"!!! Also referring to the last post!! Yes, and all those so called "Wavepools) are 60 plus miles from any coast; Not one has ever been approved in a coastal county (ie: KS and Buffet shot down on a Canaveral idea years ago. And lastly, all previously mentioned wavepools were built inside existing "theme parks" on some of the highest ground in CFL and far above the aquifer. Maybe the Ziffs billions will help, but Id bet my left nut noone will be surfing the KSWaveCo. Wave Garden in Palm Beach County by New Years Day, 2020. It's a legal, environmental, ecological, and geograpical conundrum, as was KSWC's OBX/Nags Head gig shot down last year and the gig he and Jimmy Buffet proposed to Brevard/Port Authority 5 years ago!! I dont have a problem with Kelly building a wavepark at all; I just seriously doubt it will happen in Palm Beach nor any other coastal county in Florida!! And WaterSkink, GFY web fag!!!

11/13/2017 12:25 PM

Spanky

Joined Forum: 11/04/2011

I have to agree with waterlizard on this one, tinkling kitty has nothing but negative comments on most every topic posted on here.  Must be just a lonely guy seeking attention and lookin’ for love.

Edited: 11/13/2017 at 12:32 PM by Spanky
 11/13/2017 12:25 PM

MyCatSprays

Keep on doubting ShowerChicken!! You'd not be the first, and a far from the "best" to have thought such nonsense and been proved "profusely wrong and uninformed"! And dont lie; Your left hand is your wife!! The ocean is just a place you go flounder about in!

Tubes, Boobs, & Doobs!!!
Statistics
146495 users are registered to the 2nd Light Forums forum.
There are currently 1 users logged in to the forum.

FuseTalk Basic Edition - © 1999-2024 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.

First there was Air Jordan .