Hey Matt B ... How the hell o are you ??? :)

2nd Light Forums
Decrease font size
Increase font size
Topic Title: Puerto Rico
Topic Summary:
Created On: 11/02/2017 06:03 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
<< 1 2 3 4 Previous Next Last unread
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 11/17/2017 08:21 AM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Joined Forum: 01/26/2005

EB, let me know if the accommodations fall through. I may be able to help if you don't have other options.

-------------------------

If you're not part of the solution, you're part of the precipitate.
 11/23/2017 07:59 PM

elltabrotsen

Joined Forum: 01/24/2016

Good supplies to bring to help out? The most basic stuff. Underwear. Those little wall lights you just stick on your wall push it and it turns on. Soaps. Tampons and other feminine hiegiene stuff. Lighters. Candles. Deodorant. Old clothes. Insect repellant, especially for you. It's hard to find water, let alone clean water. It's pitch black at night so stay safe. locals need BATTERIES. I came to Central FLorida when I was 4, but I know my family's situation, even my affluent lawyer cousins in San Juan are having trouble. My cousin just came into the Tampa Area the other day for a Nursing job interview, that should give you an idea. I really wouldn't recomend the trip. Hardly any street signs, if any at all, even without storms, so, paper maps wil be very difficult to use let alone the absence of cell signals for google maps. Many roads are counter intuitive and winding. Generators are cool except for the loud sound they make all night. Take ear plugs for you and the locals, they are having trouble sleeping because of the noise from generators. Hours in line for gas that might run out once you get there. Had a whole bunch of relatives come and tell me much more. Leptospirosis. etc... Ad Nauseum. 

"If the highest aim of a captain were to preserve his ship, he would keep it in port forever."-"Now relaxation of the mind from work consists on playful words or deeds. It becomes a wise and virtuous man to have recourse to such things at times." St. Thomas Aquinas ("The Angelic Doctor")

11/27/2017 07:51 AM

No disrespect, E, the island still has so far to go, but surfers should not avoid a trip as much progress has been made and the dollars will help the people so much right now.

I heard the same stories as Elltabrotsen describes before I went on my trip. Many areas are worse than others. I'm not saying those stories are inaccurate, but I was relieved to find that this information was more reflective of the immediate 4 to 6 weeks of aftermath rather than the current situation...especially the water. I was there two weeks ago, as related in my previous account. Bottled water on the west and northwest was easy to find and I didn't have to wait in gas lines. I also drove over to SJ twice and had no problems with gas, water, or food. The roads in the tourist and municipal areas (even the guajataca forest, for God's sake) had been cleared, though you are still driving over powerlines, there are still landslides occurring with all the rain of late, and there are hazards to be wary of... If you are familiar with PR and are well traveled in Latin America / Caribbean, you should have no problem assuming you have a decent place to stay and stick to the beaten path. If you needed anything you could not find in Rincon/Aguadilla, you could make a relatively short drive to Mayaguez and find anything you need. Cheers.

12/03/2017 01:07 AM

ww

Joined Forum: 08/17/2007

Not enough electric poles available in the US for the need in PR.  El Nuevo Día.

12/04/2017 07:43 AM

For those still interested in making a trip to PR this year, there is a Facebook group called Friends of Rincon which has a lot of useful information from locals, including places to stay with details on the amenities (i.e. water, power, wifi, etc.).

12/05/2017 09:53 AM

SirenWilliams

Joined Forum: 08/31/2014

Yeah, the Legends contest is coming up in Jan, and there are going to be a lot of "vacationers" on "surf trips" who might not have time to volunteer. I'm betting these people would rather you come and spend your money than avoid the island altogether. 

12/05/2017 09:11 PM

jettyparksurfer

Joined Forum: 07/25/2009

I'll be off to aguadilla tomorrow. 

12/06/2017 07:52 AM

Good luck Jetty, report back. Enjoy!

12/06/2017 10:44 AM

TOTVSTVVSIESUPERMARIA

Joined Forum: 12/16/2010

I forgot I'm dealing with some of the hartiest, most resilient, and toughest survivalist people on earth, surfers. Go rip em y'all! Adventure and great empty surf awaits. Only a surfer knows the feeling. Sounds corny, but it's true.

12/07/2017 04:20 AM

onegoodturn

Joined Forum: 10/27/2013

Neighbor just got back from surfing 8 days of perfect waves down there. On a side note, yesterday someone told me that the vast majority do not pay taxes in PR. If this is true, it's no wonder their economy is like the Indian river after they drop 20 mil gallons of raw duece in it....

12/11/2017 01:50 PM

jettyparksurfer

Just got back yesterday. There's still lots of damage in the aguadilla and isabella area. Most of the traffic lights are out.  The power is on and off and cell service is weak. Half the businesses are taking cash only.  Most people had only got power back a week ago and are slowly getting back to normal life.  I saw very few gringos around. Part of 4466 is washed out from a mudslide and there are lots of new pot holes. Otherwise they are still getting swell. I'll be back there soon.

12/11/2017 02:14 PM

Thanks for reporting back!

12/13/2017 05:54 AM

ILM

Joined Forum: 04/08/2011

Originally posted by: jettyparksurfer Just got back yesterday. There's still lots of damage in the aguadilla and isabella area. Most of the traffic lights are out.  The power is on and off and cell service is weak. Half the businesses are taking cash only.  Most people had only got power back a week ago and are slowly getting back to normal life.  I saw very few gringos around. Part of 4466 is washed out from a mudslide and there are lots of new pot holes. Otherwise they are still getting swell. I'll be back there soon.

So how was the road to wildeness, presure point and el mix?  

12/14/2017 08:15 AM

jettyparksurfer

This time last year it was flooded. Now its not bad.

12/14/2017 08:15 AM

jettyparksurfer

This time last year it was flooded. Now its not bad.

12/14/2017 10:44 AM

ILM

Joined Forum: 04/08/2011

thanks,  I will take that as it in the same condition as the last 12 years except 2010 when Slater was there and they graded it for him.  

12/14/2017 02:43 PM

SunriseSurfer

Joined Forum: 07/22/2003

This below was posted by Kathy Hall on Dec 9th
(Look like plenty of cars made it to Wilderness.)
....nice tree, but check our the wave in the background.

"Check out the beautiful ceiba tree Willy Julia from Real Palms and Dave Ferraro planted in
Rescate Playas Borinquen's garden at the Wilderness parking lot. Please bring extra water
to the beach to give it a drink!"

Image may contain: 1 person, tree, sky, plant, outdoor and nature

Puerto Rico 11 - 24 - 2013
 12/14/2017 02:53 PM

mushyman

Joined Forum: 10/09/2013

Wilderness is a darling!

Do you know what Wubba-LubbA-Dub-Dub means in BirdPerson language?
 12/14/2017 06:03 PM

freesurfs

Joined Forum: 07/24/2003

Hey! I don't see cars or trees in that pic!

The ONLY thing I see is that empty left (sizeable).
I'll be on that soon.
woot woot!

... positioning and selection
 12/14/2017 08:24 PM

ww

Joined Forum: 08/17/2007

That's a really nice young tree.

Flight costs to Aguadilla and San Juan are returning to normal (or below normal for winter season) in January.  Spirit's offering $75-95 one way to Aguadilla.  Southwest as low as $99 one way to San Juan.  

FORUMS : Surfing : Puerto Rico

<< 1 2 3 4 Previous Next Last unread
Topic Tools Topic Tools
Statistics
146495 users are registered to the 2nd Light Forums forum.
There are currently 4 users logged in to the forum.

FuseTalk Basic Edition - © 1999-2024 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.

First there was Air Jordan .