Hey Matt B ... How the hell o are you ??? :)

2nd Light Forums
Decrease font size
Increase font size
Topic Title: Puerto Rico
Topic Summary:
Created On: 11/02/2017 06:03 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
1 2 3 4 Next Last unread
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 11/02/2017 06:03 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

NorwayNorty

Joined Forum: 04/24/2016

How will the recent hurricane damage in Puerto Rico affect the winter surf season?

I'm thinking about a December trip. I know that at least one surf resort in Rincon is back open on generator power, but what have you heard about the speed of the rebuilding process in PR?

I would guess that there are also some worthwhile volunteer opportunities once you get down there.

So, in summary, how does the surfing infrastructure look for this upcoming season in PR? 

Edited: 11/02/2017 at 06:15 PM by NorwayNorty
 11/02/2017 06:05 PM

MyCatSprays

Joined Forum: 04/16/2015

Have you ever been there??

-------------------------
Tubes, Boobs, & Doobs!!!
 11/02/2017 06:07 PM

NorwayNorty

Yes. 

Edited: 11/02/2017 at 06:16 PM by NorwayNorty
 11/02/2017 06:45 PM

MyCatSprays

Joined Forum: 04/16/2015

If you're going to Rincon, Isabella, and/or Aguadilla, you better be ready to see a true "War Zone". And if you th ink you're going down there for a vacation/surf trip without bringing a bunch of relief stuff, an ass load of. $$ to give, and/or an 8 hour day of bust ass, blue collar work the entire time your there, and maybe a dawn or eve sesh if you're lucky, then you're just pouring salt on the wound and part of the problem, not the solution!! Go to Costa, Nica, or Bados ifvyou wanna go on a surf trip!! I doubt you could handle PR right now!!!

Tubes, Boobs, & Doobs!!!
 11/02/2017 07:45 PM

LostSherpa

Joined Forum: 05/02/2012

Try Bocas Del Toros instead. Better to not go to a distaster area for a vaca... but i bet they do need helping hands in PR tho, so maybe surf/volunteer trip.

The Dude Abides.

http://www.rollerphotography.com/

11/02/2017 09:17 PM

ww

Joined Forum: 08/17/2007

Marriott Courtyard at Ramey is offering rooms starting January.  I suspect they might be optimistic.  The electricity situation looks bad, but it seems there's patches of electric in Isabela, Aguadilla, Aguada, and Rincón, including the occasional drug store and supermarket.

11/03/2017 03:42 AM

dingpatch

Joined Forum: 07/24/2003

Now, and for more than a few months to come, PR is Feral. People down the street are still waiting for the rest of their family to get to Florida. They say that what you and I see on the "news" is just the tip of the iceberg. Most places really are FUBAR.

Right now, "vacation" + PR = What The Fuck Are You Thinking!!??

Dora Hates You
 11/03/2017 04:57 AM

StirfryMcflurry

Joined Forum: 08/17/2016

Edited: 11/03/2017 at 04:37 PM by StirfryMcflurry
 11/03/2017 06:22 PM

NorwayNorty

Originally posted by: dingpatch Now, and for more than a few months to come, PR is Feral. People down the street are still waiting for the rest of their family to get to Florida. They say that what you and I see on the "news" is just the tip of the iceberg. Most places really are FUBAR. Right now, "vacation" + PR = What The Fuck Are You Thinking!!??

You're an idiot, this is the problem with people being anonymous online.

Here are my thoughts about this:

People were living on Puerto Rico for at least 6,900 years before electricity, according to archaeologists, not to mention the accounts of Columbus and his crew, who found people very well established there. During that time they've had thousands of hurricanes. Each time it happens, the show must go on.

The show must go on, bro. These people want your business, sooner rather than later. An island's economy can't survive on FEMA dollars forever. They're a U.S. territory so don't hold back. Don't trust the Red Cross to spend your donations wisely, they'll just hire more staff and give their CEO a bonus. Dont' listen to DickCough, go spend your money and support local businesses in PR as soon as you'd like.

Edited: 11/03/2017 at 06:41 PM by NorwayNorty
 11/03/2017 07:12 PM

mushyman

Joined Forum: 10/09/2013

Sounds like you know it all already Norty, why bother asking? let us folks know how your trip goes haha.

Do you know what Wubba-LubbA-Dub-Dub means in BirdPerson language?
 11/03/2017 07:55 PM

NorwayNorty

Originally posted by: mushyman Sounds like you know it all already Norty, why bother asking? let us folks know how your trip goes haha.

Hahaaaa

My original question was "what's the situation on the ground?" Thanks to those people who answered the question. 

I stand by my opinion. If you want to dismiss me, join the herd. Say "moo" and write another negative post when I'm actually trying to say something in support of Puerto Ricans. 

Edited: 11/03/2017 at 08:05 PM by NorwayNorty
 11/03/2017 10:33 PM

Av8Surf

Joined Forum: 09/05/2014

I was in San Juan last week and the airport looked fine.  Electric up. Credit cards worked. Plenty of food. 

As for NW Pr I have no idea. Why not go help and surf a little?

Trading Surfboards for Bitcoin or Ethereum.

Send me Bitcoin 1Dk8oJnprZfvXGDfZpxkuoko8SSVf5Tpp2

Boards For Sale: SUPs 11 foot and 12 foot BRAND NEW. Fair prices.
 11/04/2017 06:01 AM

onegoodturn

Joined Forum: 10/27/2013

Oh how I love the 0-60 hostility when it comes to differences of opinion. You'd think surfers would be decent to one another. Sounds like a bunch of hateful liberals trying to squash others points of views while demanding theirs be seen as correct. Next we will be told it's church or brimstone!! Well peeps, after 20 plus million galllons of RAW DUECE was frapped into the river which comes out the inlet where I like to surf with all you ''rippers'', the brimstone is already here so don't be a dickhole.......

11/04/2017 06:40 AM

dingpatch

Well, OK, sure, let's go to PR! But, , , , let me ask, , , , do you have a skilled trade, or certificate/license, that might be helpful to PR's rebuild?

Really.

San Jaun might be starting to be "OK", but if you get even a short distance "out of town", you are going to be in some pretty tall weeds.

Dora Hates You
 11/04/2017 08:59 AM

TangArang

Joined Forum: 01/09/2016

Onegoodturn, I see a little guy frapping and smoking cigs in the dunes at OK’s all the time before he paddles out, so gross...but the little guy rips!!

Edited: 11/04/2017 at 09:13 AM by TangArang
 11/04/2017 09:18 AM

scombrid

Originally posted by: onegoodturn Oh how I love the 0-60 hostility when it comes to differences of opinion.

I hope that is directed at "Norty" for getting all bent out of shape when people expressed their negative opinions. 

I always say don't ask if you don't want to hear all possible answers; especially in a public forum.

Sounds like a bunch of hateful liberals trying to squash others points of views while demanding theirs be seen as correct.

That sounds a lot more like Fish Killer and obx from NSR. 

20 plus million galllons of RAW DUECE was frapped into the river which comes out the inlet

With all the rain we got, 20 million gallons was diluted to almost homeopathic levels by the time it got to the inlet. Not good but a small part of a much bigger picture.

The non-stop spill from septic tanks and run-off from lawns during the wet season is a bigger problem. 

Sewage infrastructure needs fixed for sure but there are bigger fish to fry.

You might have noticed the multiple day 6000cfs discharge from C-54. Then there's the unrestricted ag runoff from the ditch that runs parallel to the grade.

where I like to surf with all you ''rippers'', the brimstone is already here so don't be a dickhole.......

11/04/2017 09:40 AM

onegoodturn

LMAO

11/04/2017 09:43 AM

onegoodturn

''salvation lies within''    warden norton

11/04/2017 10:47 AM

chopola

Joined Forum: 09/04/2004

Go to PR Norty. The people spouting off on this site are the same people that either do not have the time or money to go, or would not want to spend their surf trip helping others. I think it would be a great experience helping out those that need it. The people renting places to stay still need income, not very many willing to endure those conditions.
 11/04/2017 11:05 AM

surfmcc32

Joined Forum: 11/11/2009

What kinda supplies would be helpful? Josie Graves still wants people coming for the winter season, and I'm sure most others feel the same.  

Edit: I've been going every winter for years and I'd feel bad if I didn't try to help out in person this winter

FORUMS : Surfing : Puerto Rico

1 2 3 4 Next Last unread
Topic Tools Topic Tools
Statistics
146495 users are registered to the 2nd Light Forums forum.
There are currently 3 users logged in to the forum.

FuseTalk Basic Edition - © 1999-2024 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.

First there was Air Jordan .