Hey Matt B ... How the hell o are you ??? :)

2nd Light Forums
Decrease font size
Increase font size
Topic Title: My PR Surf Shack and Farm House
Topic Summary: Abuela Azul - RIP
Created On: 10/13/2017 06:20 AM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 10/13/2017 06:20 AM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Joined Forum: 01/26/2005

Last year on Sept. 21 I purchased a farm in PR. When I first walked it, I immediately fell in love with the natural warmth of the forest of high canopy, bamboo, bananas, coffee and fruit trees. It was an immersion in the natural world that we rarely get to experience anymore. It struck me how quiet it was of man-made sounds. Hummingbirds, bats, bees, snakes, dove...the rocking chair creeking of 50 year old bamboo stands.

On the day that I drove to the Cooperativa, I was on clouds. My dream was coming true. I was opening a new chapter in my pursuit of tropical agrigulture, gardening, and island living. It would be a while before I could live there permanently, but at least I could get started and most importantly dream and plan. I successfully closed on the farm, despite coinciding with El Gran Apagon. The island wide blackout of 2016. That night the Milky Way was there to greet me like I had never seen before. A true celestial celebration.

The first night in the house was quite the adventure. While having my first beer, the previous tenant came walking in with his tambourine...el raton. I chased him out with a machete and finished my beer. Candles lit, I sat with y 6 pack of Medalla, machete, and spot light waiting for the little bastards to poke their noses into the casa. "Hay un nuevo jefe, ratones. Deja la casa. No es tu discoteca ahora!" I managed some couple of hours of sleep, falling asleep to the gentle purr of the owls, and woke up with the proud call of El Gallo around 4:30 am. I walked out to see where the rats were entering and was greeted by a large family of bats living in the frond of the giant Royal Palm out back of the house that hadn't completely fallen. The bats came so close to me that I could feel the wind of their wings on my shoulders and back. I never felt threatened, but rather welcomed and embraced. Thus the farm was named. Finca Murcielago de la Madrugada. Yes, it's a mouth full, but it has a killer story.

Since embarking on the journey, I have been welcomed and embraced by all of the island's locals. I was able to visit the property 4 times, accomplishing some major goals in pursuit of the vision. I've felt the magic of the farm and the island. I've come to know the house, like one would know a grandmother by sitting with her and listening to her gentle voice. I've studied the farm and the plantings of a generation past, as one sees the work of his grandfather. As such, I could not have prepared myself for the sadness of seeing the destruction of Maria in photos I received this week. I spent an evening with a rum in my hand and tears welling in my eyes as I mourned the loss of a connection to the past.

The farm keys came with a Virgin Mary pendant. Some irony that a storm named Maria would create a blank canvas for me on the anniversary of buying the farm. I plan to go down to complete demolition in November, as I had already planned to show the farm to a good childhood friend and my only brother. In the coming months I will be returning to rebuild and replant. If any of you have garden/plant skills, construction skills, or just want to camp and feel a beautiful piece of earth, please let me know. I'll announce my following trips.

Here are some photos.

-------------------------

If you're not part of the solution, you're part of the precipitate.
 10/13/2017 06:45 AM

...and this was in Mayaguez, some 40 miles from the eye, on the south west side...the weak side.

If you are not sure whether to believe the Mayor of San Juan, David Begnaud, the Media etc or Donald Trump, let me tell you....the island is flattened and the people are doing their best to persevere under the most extreme and post-apocalyptic of circumstances. I've seen pictures of mature forests defoliated and laid down like a game of pick-up sticks. It's truly unlike anything I have ever seen. Just be compassionate and supportive of the island and the people in whatever way you can. And pray we don't get a Cat 4 or 5 on our doorstep anytime in the future.

10/13/2017 06:56 AM

tingo

Joined Forum: 09/22/2004

Unbelievable, awestruck.

Yes you are right, no cat 4 or 5 for us.

To be positive I see the plants and foilage growing back fast.

Good luck

edit:

How far are ou from the waves?

10/13/2017 06:58 AM

I will need to get the house back up so the university agriculture student that was living there in exchange for farm maintenance can help me keep the bejuco at bay. Bejuco is basically the smothering vines that are always the first to grow back in when sunlight hits the earth. I'll need to plant aggressively to put shade back.

10/13/2017 07:42 AM

cheaterfiveo

Joined Forum: 08/29/2013

Sorry to see that, our place in Anesco is minus roof and contents, oh well, we will rebuild
 10/13/2017 08:19 AM

Cheater, did you mean Anasco? Wow, you are close to me, if that's the case. You have a farm?

10/13/2017 08:37 AM

IMAKEWK

Joined Forum: 05/11/2015

great story telling

sorry for your loss that sucks

next time you head down there and need a helping hand let me know! I'm pretty useless when it comes to thinking and I'm a certified moron, but god damnit I'm a great first mate . would love to help out if possible

10/13/2017 09:00 AM

MPSB2

Joined Forum: 10/01/2006

=*( Sorry D.

Instagram.com/Mels_Big_Racks
 10/13/2017 09:21 AM

TATTOO74

Joined Forum: 10/26/2005

DAMN.. That sucks. Sorry bud.
 10/13/2017 09:31 AM

rathunter

Joined Forum: 09/22/2011

Hola Buenaz Karmito,

My heart goes out to you my man!  I know how important that place of sanity is for you.  I'm dealing with a leaking roof from Irma locally and having a fit so I cant even begin to feel your pain.  I hear ya about the media thing.... its a no brainer.  Basically whatever Trump says just add in a factor of 0.BS% and you get the real picture.  Its very sad down there for sure.  Hang in there amigo!  

Sincerely,

Ratiamos

10/13/2017 09:52 AM

IMAKEWK

Joined Forum: 05/11/2015

[EDIT]

didnt mean to poach your thread!

Edited: 10/13/2017 at 12:40 PM by IMAKEWK
 10/13/2017 10:25 AM

I sympathize with IMAKEWK's sentiments. These frustrations have been conveyed to me by many of my friends on the island. I agree, the POTUS is vying for the worst human alive award.

But, at the risk of this being moved to NSR, we can start a separate Bash POTUS Response to PR thread over there.

I speak with people daily and the survival decisions that have to be made each morning - food, cash, gas, water, clean are heartbreaking. Also take for a minute to think about the amount of sweat you produce in the tropical heat. Now imagine there's no clean water. Cleaning up your home/farm/neighborhood is a risk to your life for dehydration.

Things are improving slowly...some places quicker than others.

Certainly this is not to detract from the service men/women and volunteers who are down there pouring there hearts daily into helping their fellow Americans. With that said, I know 2 separate ladies who are from the island and in Reserves/Nat Guard who would jump at the opportunity but are not being called in. I know that's maybe not how it works, but a person in uniform with language and intimate knowledge of the island would go a long way.

AND finally, people are helping people...just as you see here after storms. There are everyday heroes being made all over the island.

Thank you all for your love, concern, hope, and support. ...and when things get better, please consider taking a trip there for some surf. I know I will be. And if you do, hit me up!

10/13/2017 11:16 AM

ww

Joined Forum: 08/17/2007

A University of Miami ecologist researched whether controlling aggressive vines was worthwhile in Miami's smashed-up tropical hammocks after Andrew.  Did no-control plots to compare to control areas in three hammocks with different levels of damage.  Worst was Castellow, which was flattened.  The vine control was worthwhile.  Debe ser lo mismo en Puerto Rico.  

BTW, you can find Castellow Hammock and visit it via Google Street View.  There's a half-decent forest there now.  

10/13/2017 12:59 PM

tpapablo

Joined Forum: 07/25/2003

I love doing stuff like planting, etc. If I am available, I would be happy to chip in. Keep us posted. Sorry about the damage, but you'll have it better than ever before too long.

I :heart; Q
 10/13/2017 01:58 PM

Are the pics now deleted? Stupid hosting site. I can't see them.

10/13/2017 02:21 PM

cheaterfiveo

Joined Forum: 08/29/2013

Originally posted by: Karma

Cheater, did you mean Anasco? Wow, you are close to me, if that's the case. You have a farm?

No farm just a house near 109 yes Anasco up from the bridge, my spelling checker didnt like the right way
Statistics
146494 users are registered to the 2nd Light Forums forum.
There are currently 0 users logged in to the forum.

FuseTalk Basic Edition - © 1999-2024 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.

First there was Air Jordan .