Hey Matt B ... How the hell o are you ??? :)

2nd Light Forums
Decrease font size
Increase font size
Topic Title: World Surf League confirms first public event at Kelly Slater's wave pool for May 2018
Topic Summary:
Created On: 09/23/2017 09:27 AM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
1 2 Next Last unread
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 09/23/2017 09:27 AM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

dingpatch

Joined Forum: 07/24/2003

http://www.grindtv.com/surf/wo...ave-pool-for-may-2018/

"Stay tuned to GrindTV for more details on this, but you can be certain that this is going to change surfing forever."

-------------------------
Dora Hates You
 09/23/2017 09:46 AM

dingpatch

Ya, ya, ya, , , , so now the question is, , , , is there a tin-foil-hat designed to protect my soul?

Dora Hates You
 09/23/2017 10:38 AM

monsoon

Joined Forum: 09/17/2017

This will definitely change the face of surfing, but probably not for the better. The element of surprise, unpredictability and nature is gone. The competitions now, will be no better than the floor exercise in gymnastics. Sure, it will even the playing field, but there will be no more strategy, no more jockeying for position, no more sitting on your competitor while the seconds tick away - all the things that make competitions brilliant to watch.

09/23/2017 12:23 PM

mushmonster

Joined Forum: 12/08/2005

the wave looks awesome! but if you watch the interview with Kelly....i noticed it looks like a long reset between waves,and the wave machine(sled?) sounds like a train going by right next to the surfer.....Kelly has to shout over the noise from the opposite side of the pool.....not very Zen like....also after watching the Wave garden world games video there waves are continuous,and quiet http://www.grindtv.com/surf/ws...ite-broken-foot-video/ http://www.grindtv.com/surf/if...at-it-might-look-like/

"The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits" Albert Einstein
 09/23/2017 03:42 PM

jettyparksurfer

Joined Forum: 07/25/2009

Originally posted by: monsoon This will definitely change the face of surfing, but probably not for the better. The element of surprise, unpredictability and nature is gone. The competitions now, will be no better than the floor exercise in gymnastics. Sure, it will even the playing field, but there will be no more strategy, no more jockeying for position, no more sitting on your competitor while the seconds tick away - all the things that make competitions brilliant to watch.

If contests at wave machines replace contests at surf breaks people will lose respect for the world tour. Surfing will fall far away from the mainstream and become less popular. This could mean more empty lineups. 

09/24/2017 06:45 AM

realsur4

Joined Forum: 09/04/2003

I don't think this is going to "replace" surfing in the ocean. I do think that it is an interesting addition to the surf tour. Why not throw in a man made wave into the schedule just to mix things up?? Look at tennis. They play on grass, clay, hardcourt...think of all the different golf courses played on the PGA. I think adding 1 or 2 events on a man made wave is fine, but definitely not better than the ocean. From watching the video, it looks like each surfer had to ride backside and frontside, which is an interesting concept. Some breaks only go left or right and this gives the surfer a chance to succeed or fail on their "weak" side. I like it as an option, not a replacement and I don't think this will ever replace ocean surfing for contest locations.
 11/18/2017 06:45 AM

dingpatch

https://www.grindtv.com/surf/w...hampionship-tour-stop/

Dora Hates You
 11/18/2017 12:06 PM

chopola

Joined Forum: 09/04/2004

How can anyone be against a perfect man made wave? Its not going to change ocean surfing. It adds too, not takes away from the sport. I think the naysayers are afraid they cant afford, or will not get a chance to try it out. As soon as the line forms for the paying public, I am in it. The rest of you can keep wasting your money at Typhoon Lagoon.
 11/18/2017 01:23 PM

granited02

Joined Forum: 10/13/2017

is this changing surfing forever or is it allentown pt2?? also i have heard from people who have surfed the ranch and they say it is far from perfect

11/20/2017 01:17 PM

frothing321

Joined Forum: 01/29/2017

how can someone build a wavepool, have one "test" event and then all of a sudden it replaces an even on the world championship tour? thats honestly outrageous, even if kellys wave pool does have super good waves and the competitors like it.. to be able to make it a world tour event that quick sounds kind of fucked up to me.. maybe they could make it a QS event for a few years first? idk. should be fun to watch but just goes to show that there really is no governing body when it comes to the WSL. bummed about cloudbreak being off. stoked on keramas tho.

11/20/2017 01:58 PM

chopola

So the WSL owns a controlling stake in Kelly Slater Wave co. but they should not hold an event at the wave pool they have invested in? You guys are afraid the surfer that does the most difficult maneuvers in the critical section, with the best style, may win one event?
 11/20/2017 02:55 PM

dingpatch

Ummmm, , , , , welcome to the 21st Century boys, and girls.

Dora Hates You
 11/20/2017 02:56 PM

dingpatch

We should all start rambling on about the merits of "compulsory" moves, versus "free style".

Dora Hates You
 11/20/2017 03:08 PM

chopola

It would be a real drag to see Mick Fanning win because of his cut back, while John John was doing multiple 720's
 11/20/2017 04:14 PM

MyCatSprays

Joined Forum: 04/16/2015

Talked to a top 16 tour Pro who said, "It's insane for your first 3-4 waves, then it just becomes repetitive and boring! And way too loud". Verbatim!!! We'll see how it goes!! Great to make an Olympic bid and give all the same playing field, but fully takes the X factor and competiveness out of the true nature/history of our sport!!! Go ahead and rude me Chop!!!

Tubes, Boobs, & Doobs!!!
 11/20/2017 04:16 PM

MyCatSprays

And Chop, there is no 720's yet! Not at least in comps, and you'd have to put Layer and Meola in there for it to even be an option!!!

Tubes, Boobs, & Doobs!!!
 11/20/2017 04:45 PM

SAsurfer

Joined Forum: 02/17/2013

Originally posted by: MyCatSprays Talked to a top 16 tour Pro who said, "It's insane for your first 3-4 waves, then it just becomes repetitive and boring! And way too loud". Verbatim!!! We'll see how it goes!! Great to make an Olympic bid and give all the same playing field, but fully takes the X factor and competiveness out of the true nature/history of our sport!!! Go ahead and rude me Chop!!!

I was wondering about the sound since I saw a video that showed the machinery. I figured it had to be loud.

I get that this is just one event in a whole season but I'm still dismayed that it is one less contest that will require the full spectrum of ability including wave selection, adjusting to what the ocean throws up at any second, etc.

11/20/2017 05:04 PM

chopola

I hope its boring after 4 waves, It could save a guy a lot of money. On the other hand, I don't care how much money you have, if it was breaking like that in Palm beach county, and you are not in the 20% skill catagory, you are not getting a good set wave to yourself. [the pecking order]. And before you call B.S., it doesn't get like that in Palm Beach county.
 11/20/2017 05:07 PM

chopola

By the way, kook cords took the soul out of surfing.
 11/20/2017 10:02 PM

MyCatSprays

Were not talking about you 20 summin, Palm County kooks Chop!! This thread is about how fucking LAME the tour dropping Fiji and picking up this monstrousity of surfing is!! Its not all about you kid, and now that I've read all you web fags true identities/realities in the HISTORY section on your "1st Surf Experience", Ive been giggling and frothing until it was appropriate to retaliate; Which now is that time!!! You guys that rude me are all poser kooks that started on softtops in the 90's in Palm Beach or behind you Grandma's Ocean Woods condos in Canaveral when I'd travelled the world, owned titles, and was getting paid to surf!!! Web Fag Poser Shit Spouting Kooks!!! None of y'all deserve to ride an O'Hare first off!!! Secondly, you rude me on shit I have on lock, have experienced, and fully know all of da players, when y'all know not even a piece of the puzzle!! I fully understand that this is an open forum, but, just like a college course; You better have done your homework and have your cliffnotes!! Now again; Im Sean Volland aka Da Col. I am the Real Deal!! I have surfed here, won here, and earned here longer than any of you but Tiptime, Freesurfs, and a very few others!!! Ive never smoked crack, done meth, done heroin, eaten pills, beat children, nor robbed anyone!!! And plz let me find out any of your true identities and I will paddle up on your back, rabbit box your skull, then snap off your fins and send your punk ass back to the beach crying!!! Go Fuck Yourselves!!! If that doesn't get me kicked off this poser shithole, then nothing will!!! But again, mark my words; I dare Chop, WaterLizard, or any other of you Volland hating, shit talking fucks to actually confront me, face to face, at the beach or anywhere, and talk shit!! That goes 10fold for you SonSurf, you closet homo, gym rat, butt gazing, shit talking faggot!!! Other than that, y'all have a Blessed Sunday night!!! I am Sean Volland and I have approved this message!!!

Tubes, Boobs, & Doobs!!!

Edited: 11/20/2017 at 10:14 PM by MyCatSprays
Statistics
146495 users are registered to the 2nd Light Forums forum.
There are currently 1 users logged in to the forum.

FuseTalk Basic Edition - © 1999-2024 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.

First there was Air Jordan .