Hey Matt B ... How the hell o are you ??? :)

2nd Light Forums
Decrease font size
Increase font size
Topic Title: Surf car
Topic Summary: Need a new one
Created On: 09/19/2017 02:08 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
1 2 3 Next Last unread
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 09/19/2017 02:08 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

WG

Joined Forum: 03/10/2005

Well my 2005 Sienna man van got rear ended on the 417 and totalled. I really liked that van, other than its appetite for gas.
Looking again for suggestions for a replacement surf car.
1. Must hold an 8 foot board inside, even better if a 9 foot fits.
2. Must get very good gas mileage
Climate change is real. I care.
3. Must be reliable.
4. Prefer upright seating, I've found that low seats give me back pain (the only reason I haven't already gotten a Prius). Minivan seating position was great.
5. Best if it's available used, a few years old.
6. Less that $20k. $15k better.

Ideas? Suggestions?

-------------------------
"The truth is incontrovertible.
malice may attack it,
ignorance may deride it,
but in the end,
there it is." -Sir Winston Churchill
 09/19/2017 02:50 PM

tpapablo

Joined Forum: 07/25/2003

Sorry to hear about the wreck. I have Mazda 3 hatch back that is a great surf car. With the back seats folded down, I have fit a 9'8" inside. Get's good gas milage and is relatively cheap. Reliability is unmatched in my experience. I have had 4 Mazda's and have never taken one in for servicing, outside of oil, tires and such. Horn on my present one (75,000 miles) went on the fritz, and I have been waiting two years for something halfway signifigant to break to justify the trouble of taking it in. Very versatile car. With the back seats down, you can carry a lot of stuff. And they are pretty fun little cars to drive.

Edit: I have the previous model, so cannot say for sure that a 9'8" will fit in the new model. But I would imagine you could get the old model for way under $15,000. Think you can get a brand new one for around $20,000.

I :heart; Q

Edited: 09/19/2017 at 02:59 PM by tpapablo
 09/19/2017 02:56 PM

Long Beard

Joined Forum: 05/13/2007

Get a Prius. I can fit my 9'8 log inside my wifes. Incredible on Gas!! Best car we've ever owned.

R I P Mama G.

@Salt.And.Savagery.Fishing

@Laserwolf.Laserwolf
 09/19/2017 02:56 PM

Long Beard

Joined Forum: 05/13/2007

Ah, I just read the entire post and saw what u said about a Prius.

R I P Mama G.

@Salt.And.Savagery.Fishing

@Laserwolf.Laserwolf
 09/19/2017 03:03 PM

camguy

Joined Forum: 07/21/2010

Love my Mazda 5 wagon. great gas mileage.2.5 L motor is great. I can get 3 longboards in mine up to 9'.

09/19/2017 03:06 PM

onegoodturn

Joined Forum: 10/27/2013

My excursion is a 10 cylinder 12mpg hog that sharts out prius  before breakfast, but will fit any board

09/19/2017 04:15 PM

RegularJoe

Joined Forum: 11/20/2011

Love the 2001 Toyota Highlander I picked up used a few months ago, except for the gas mileage (low 20's).

It's built on the Camry platform as the replacement for the discontinued Camry Wagon.

Newer models should have better fuel economy, and you might even find a hybrid version out there.
 09/19/2017 04:40 PM

scostuart

Joined Forum: 12/28/2007

BMW X3......https://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-sale/vehicledetails.xhtml?listingId=452611347&zip=32955&referrer=%2Fcars-for-sale%2Fsearchresults.xhtml%3Fzip%3D32955%26startYear%3D2008%26sortBy%3DmileageASC%26maxPrice%3D22000%26vehicleStyleCodes%3DWAGON%252CSUVCROSS%26incremental%3Dall%26firstRecord%3D0%26endYear%3D2014%26modelCodeList%3DX3%26makeCodeList%3DBMW%26searchRadius%3D500&startYear=2008&numRecords=25&maxPrice=22000&vehicleStyleCodes=WAGON%2CSUVCROSS&firstRecord=0&endYear=2014&modelCodeList=X3&makeCodeList=BMW&searchRadius=500&makeCode1=BMW&modelCode1=X3

I have a 2014 BMW 328 Wagon Xdrive that I frigging love!  Turbo 4cyl with 240hp/260torque. 0-60....5.9secs. 

In town....25mpg....on the road...35mpg.  You said you don't like the low seats and the..... 3 series is low.

X3 might be a better choice for you.

Both the wagon and X3 have a rear 40/20/40 split.  So boards slide right down the middle.

Waiting for waves is ok......most people spend their lives waiting for nothing.

09/19/2017 10:57 PM

RocketSurf

Joined Forum: 03/20/2014

I love my Volvo wagon 2.5 turbo. 25 MPG on the highway. low 20's around town. Not the best but I can lock my O'Hare 9'2" inside on the way home from the beach

Volvo Wgn
 09/20/2017 04:47 AM

WG

Thanks for the input all.
I drove a Ford CMax yesterday and liked it, low used price, I'm researching, going back with a tape measure.
By good MPG, I think I pretty much mean hybrid MPG, like 35-50 MPG.
I am even considering the Bolt. I think we need to get very serious about Global Warming, it's hypocritical for me to drive a 25MPG car while being active against the problem.
Trying to get a look at a Prius V today.
I like the Mazda 3 too tpap, but the seat is very low, I see pain there.

malice may attack it,
ignorance may deride it,
but in the end,
 09/20/2017 04:48 AM

vtecmonster

Joined Forum: 10/02/2007

Roof rack on a Honda CRV? I would be curious to hear about the max board length inside the car. Also, Honda odyssey seems like a great option and gets better MPG.

I would also look at turbo diesel sprinter style vans.

A clean history car (you have to look) from OffLeaseOnly would be a great place to look. They have great prices, but terrible financing options. Go to space coast credit union on the way home and refinance it. SCCU pays any fees and will give you a much better rate. I have a rate of 1.89% on my wife's SUV.

09/20/2017 05:00 AM

surfsail

Joined Forum: 07/28/2003

Volvo station wagon. - room for longboards, about as rust resistant & win in accidents.

Don't use roof racks esp on a regular basis or you will get rust

Had 5 Volvo SW's in a row, don't have one now but looking to get back in.

Don't recommend getting a turbo in any make or model period - too finicky and way to expensive to fix

There are NO white people at all in the Bible... take all the time you need with that...
Please stop feeding the trolls - they will go away if you do...

Edited: 09/20/2017 at 03:25 PM by surfsail
 09/20/2017 05:26 AM

WG

I looked at OffLeaseOnly yesterday, great place to check out models, but more than half of them had accident reports and they all smelled bad.
I'm gonna pay cash probably , so financing not a problem, but yes, I would use SCCU if I did.

Thanks again for all of the input, but gas mileage is a big deal for me, I have to drive a lot of miles for my current gig, 25MPG ain't enough.

malice may attack it,
ignorance may deride it,
but in the end,
 09/20/2017 06:39 AM

surfcheck

Joined Forum: 09/23/2004

WG, I second tpapablo's motion on the Mazda 3 and can confirm all items in his description other than board size. I can easily fit my 9'0" which is my longest board. I just checked my mileage tracker. 31.7 mpg. I generally drive the car with the "sport" mode engaged simply because I enjoy the driving experience more. My mileage would likely be at least one or two mpg higher with the sport mode not engaged. In Dec 2015 I bought a 2014 Mazda 3 Gran Touring, the model that is tricked out with all the bells and whistles. I rarely splurge on anything but at my "advanced age" I do enjoy some extra creature comments in an automobile. I couldn't be more pleased. I did extensive homework and due diligence prior to purchase on both the manufacturer, this particular model and how it compared with other vehicles in its class. After some shopping I found the car at Coastal Hyundai. The car was one owner, had just over 24,000 miles on it. Out the door I paid $22,769.95. My sale rep was John Lyons. I have very limited experience with dealership sales people but I must say that it was a very smooth and comfortable experience, so much so that I returned the following year and leased a car for my daughter through John and will be seeing him again for future car purchases. While my assets are limited and modest at best I do have excellent credit and got a very good rate through SCCU. Having read your posts often over the past several years I've noticed your inclination to assist others on the forum with linkage and other matters and I "get" that you're an intelligent and kind human being. I wish you the best in your search. If by any chance you contact John please drop my name. Bill Hamilton.

Edited: 09/20/2017 at 06:48 AM by surfcheck
 09/20/2017 07:34 AM

RegularJoe

Joined Forum: 11/20/2011

Lots of commutes to Orlando doesn't fit with an SUV or most crossovers. Looks like Toyota introduced hybrid versions of the Highlander in 2006. That year model got mixed reviews like this. MPG was in 28-32 range, about 10 less than a hybrid car, but about 10 mpg better than a pure IC SUV.

Sadly, I bought my VW diesel for anticipated commutes to O'ville, which never materialized. After VW screwed us with their emissions scandal, I hoped I could get one of the hub motor conversion kits being developed at MTSU, but their lead (Dr. Perry) never answered my emails, and VW's offer made the car too hard to keep.

Since your commutes are more expensive than your local surf sessions (mostly low speed and local), you're probably best off just getting the most economical car available, and investing in a decent set of locking surf racks on top. The smaller and lower the car, the easier it is to rack up. You also don't have to fold seats down, so passengers can accompany you when necessary. And, you don't have a hard 9' limit.
 09/20/2017 08:15 AM

tpapablo

Joined Forum: 07/25/2003

Originally posted by: WG Thanks for the input all. I drove a Ford CMax yesterday and liked it, low used price, I'm researching, going back with a tape measure. By good MPG, I think I pretty much mean hybrid MPG, like 35-50 MPG. I am even considering the Bolt. I think we need to get very serious about Global Warming, it's hypocritical for me to drive a 25MPG car while being active against the problem. Trying to get a look at a Prius V today. I like the Mazda 3 too tpap, but the seat is very low, I see pain there.

When I bought my first Mazda 3, I told the dealer that I had one more test and that I'd be back in an hour. Came back with a 9'4" and said it had to fit before I'd buy it. Though I imagine that was a first for him, he went along. When it fit, he had the sale. So, anyway, just take your board with you. No mistakes that way.

I :heart; Q
 09/20/2017 08:30 AM

StirfryMcflurry

Joined Forum: 08/17/2016

Originally posted by: surfsail Volvo station wagon. - room for longboards, about as rust resistant & win in accidents.

Had 5 Volvo SW's in a row, don't have one now but looking to get back in.

does a.. say ...2002- 2005 hold a 9' 6"?

09/20/2017 09:25 AM

big rick

Joined Forum: 02/20/2005

WG, i have myself a 2015 ford flex
i have to get roof racks for it so i can carry more people in
my car when i head out to the beach

but with that being said, i can slide two people in the car
with a 9'0 and 10'1 longboard in there together
everyone has to sit in the back though

third row seating and 2nd row are both occupied

i wanted to get myself a 4runner but they are freaking
expensive.... even as a used car

hey, i don't know if you read this yet ----------> I <3 16streets.com

thank you Sean O'hare

Delicious beer comes from here
 09/20/2017 10:03 AM

big rick

Joined Forum: 02/20/2005

by the way, the car itself is freaking great
it's like a leather couch on wheels and there's nothing wrong with that
honestly, i fit a lot of stuff in there without issue as is and i'm sure i can
'make mods' to my car without issue and i have heard of people camping
out in said car.
there are forums

if you have any questions, just let me know

hey, i don't know if you read this yet ----------> I <3 16streets.com

thank you Sean O'hare

Delicious beer comes from here
 09/20/2017 10:39 AM

havanabama

Joined Forum: 07/23/2003

CRV

Ah, religion, bigotry dressed up as morality.
FORUMS : Surfing : Surf car

1 2 3 Next Last unread
Topic Tools Topic Tools
Statistics
146494 users are registered to the 2nd Light Forums forum.
There are currently 1 users logged in to the forum.

FuseTalk Basic Edition - © 1999-2024 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.

First there was Air Jordan .