Hey Matt B ... How the hell o are you ??? :)

2nd Light Forums
Decrease font size
Increase font size
Topic Title: Who has priority?
Topic Summary:
Created On: 08/21/2017 09:56 AM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
<< 1 2 Previous Last unread
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 08/22/2017 05:43 AM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Keveroonus

Joined Forum: 01/19/2007

Originally posted by: garcia Generally, the closest to the peak. However, if I am sitting on a spot, watching and waiting for a wave, and some jerk paddles around me to get closer to the peak (what used to be called "Japping" in less sensitive/aware times), I am still going. We'll just have to sort it out afterwards.
Hate it when surfers do this. I usually prefer to surf the no-name streets to avoid the crowds. I find it's usually more enjoyable than having to compete for waves at a crowded break. There was one time last year that I figured I'd go surf RCs. Hadn't been in a while. It was a pretty good day, waist to chest high and glassy. I was in position for a set wave, closest to the peak, and then this guy further down decides he wants this wave too so he paddles around me at the last second to get closer to the peak for a late drop. I went anyways. I will say though, that most people in the Brevard area are respectful and a pleasure to surf with. I really love that about this area. Good vibes all around. Only a handful of bad apples. We've got it real good compared to other places in the world.
 08/22/2017 06:47 AM

surferKev07

Joined Forum: 06/08/2007

The "back paddle" move makes me go straight to crazy. It bothers me more than dropping in. The generation of surfers that came after me (I'm GenX) seems to think this is somehow a legit way to gain priority. When I was growing up, that move led broken fins and/or broken faces. It's a respect thing. DON'T DO IT. WAIT YOUR TURN.
 08/22/2017 07:45 AM

RegularJoe

Joined Forum: 11/20/2011

If you want to go right, and a dude paddles around you to get closer to the peak and burn you, just yell "goin' left!"

If he does drop in and go right, just drop and go left anyway, and come up with "I told you so."
 08/22/2017 07:58 AM

crankit

Joined Forum: 07/30/2003

The deep fade as Freesurfs said, very effective!

-------------------------
Romans 8;18-32 John 3;16-18
 08/22/2017 09:34 AM

Lounge-A-Rama

Joined Forum: 07/24/2003

How about the dude that never surfed, never came up through the ranks and learned surf etiquette, but got somewhat good on a SUP, you know the guy! The one that paddles out to the lineup just before a set. Now, when the regular surfers at that spot, that actually take turns, have been waiting for their turn, the one guy that is good and has been waiting for his turn (and should be next) and also the guy that would be 2nd both get ripped off. That's bad enough, but when said non-surfer SUP dude paddles right back out and steals the next set wave, he is NOW ripping two guys off! And then proceeds to do it, yet again, a third time, NOW that shithead is ripping off THREE guys, what about that? I sure miss the old time "Regulators", the "Enforcers"!

Life is a garden*Dig it!

Edited: 08/22/2017 at 09:42 AM by Lounge-A-Rama
 08/22/2017 10:58 AM

freesurfs

Lounge-A-Rama ...

That well deserved regulation absolutely no problem for me

... positioning and selection
 08/22/2017 12:53 PM

frothing321

Joined Forum: 01/29/2017

whoever has the most instagram followers has priority. even though i will burn them thats how it goes. 

08/22/2017 12:58 PM

stokedpanda

Joined Forum: 09/04/2015

I paddle around people all the time, most wont catch the waves anyway.

I troll 2L.com to be a better person in real life
 08/22/2017 02:23 PM
User is online View Users Profile Print this message

tpapablo

Joined Forum: 07/25/2003

Originally posted by: Lounge-A-Rama How about the dude that never surfed, never came up through the ranks and learned surf etiquette, but got somewhat good on a SUP, you know the guy! The one that paddles out to the lineup just before a set. Now, when the regular surfers at that spot, that actually take turns, have been waiting for their turn, the one guy that is good and has been waiting for his turn (and should be next) and also the guy that would be 2nd both get ripped off. That's bad enough, but when said non-surfer SUP dude paddles right back out and steals the next set wave, he is NOW ripping two guys off! And then proceeds to do it, yet again, a third time, NOW that shithead is ripping off THREE guys, what about that? I sure miss the old time "Regulators", the "Enforcers"!

Yeah, maddening. Back in the day I would have done something. Now, I usually paddle to somewhere else. I'm out there to have fun, not get mad. Of course, that doesn't stop me from hoping that a shark bites the SOB.

I :heart; Q
 08/22/2017 02:39 PM

harrietdubman

Joined Forum: 11/07/2015

im the guy who, when its too sunny ,just looks at the beach till its time haha.

sneedeker

08/22/2017 05:17 PM

scombrid

Originally posted by: tpapablo
Originally posted by: Lounge-A-Rama How about the dude that never surfed, never came up through the ranks and learned surf etiquette, but got somewhat good on a SUP, you know the guy! The one that paddles out to the lineup just before a set. Now, when the regular surfers at that spot, that actually take turns, have been waiting for their turn, the one guy that is good and has been waiting for his turn (and should be next) and also the guy that would be 2nd both get ripped off. That's bad enough, but when said non-surfer SUP dude paddles right back out and steals the next set wave, he is NOW ripping two guys off! And then proceeds to do it, yet again, a third time, NOW that shithead is ripping off THREE guys, what about that? I sure miss the old time "Regulators", the "Enforcers"!

Yeah, maddening. Back in the day I would have done something. Now, I usually paddle to somewhere else. I'm out there to have fun, not get mad. Of course, that doesn't stop me from hoping that a shark bites the SOB.

Funny I would have picked you as the guy that deliberately paddles out in front of a SUP and tries to block every wave just to make a point.

I've seen plenty of that. SUP down the beach away from the group catches a few sets and somebody will always paddle down and start dropping in on the SUP because they hate SUPs and some SUP stole all the sets on one shitty day when it was a 20 minute wait for thigh high hop mush in which they insisted on riding a short performance board.

08/22/2017 07:21 PM

grdsurf

Joined Forum: 09/28/2004

I was "Red Flagged" for back paddling a local at Scott's Creek several years ago. It was ~7@18sec and chunky. I didn't really think I back paddled him as I was paddling straight out from my position. I got faded which I was OK with but he said I messed up his wave. So the guy and his friend went off on me. The next morning he saw me in the parking lot and told be not to surf there(Scott's Creek). Of course I went out and he blatantly weaseled me so I complemented him on how good of a surfer he was and told him he had life by the short hairs(he was in fact a very good surfer). If you react exactly opposite of what someone might expect you to it can(sometimes) diffuse those type of situations. I asked the guys buddy why they were so angry and that broke his bad dude facade. I'd say that the Santa Cruz area has some pretty intense locals, especially compared to So Cal.
 08/22/2017 07:30 PM

equipeola

Joined Forum: 12/17/2009

Originally posted by: grdsurf I was "Red Flagged" for back paddling a local at Scott's Creek several years ago. It was ~7@18sec and chunky. I didn't really think I back paddled him as I was paddling straight out from my position. I got faded which I was OK with but he said I messed up his wave. So the guy and his friend went off on me. The next morning he saw me in the parking lot and told be not to surf there(Scott's Creek). Of course I went out and he blatantly weaseled me so I complemented him on how good of a surfer he was and told him he had life by the short hairs(he was in fact a very good surfer). If you react exactly opposite of what someone might expect you to it can(sometimes) diffuse those type of situations. I asked the guys buddy why they were so angry and that broke his bad dude facade. I'd say that the Santa Cruz area has some pretty intense locals, especially compared to So Cal.

ya, but- Scott Creek?!

ola ~

08/22/2017 07:34 PM

paddleout

Joined Forum: 07/31/2003

"esp when the "snaker" trying to out position you to get the peak you're on is riding a more floaty board or SUP.
I'll go anyway and fade into that alpha wannabe wave hog to keep him off or drive him deep ... I'll still surf that wave the way I wanted to.

exception ... when traveling and one of the locals paddles around me to steal the peak... of course, I back off, and reposition for another one. "

^^^ That's pretty much it.

In the case of the noob who is paddling around you all the time, I like to use the old "I'm a guy who goes anyway" routine. I've found most of these people are very afraid of some kind of human or board collision. I, on the other hand am not. My board has plenty of chips and dings, and I could care less about banging into somebody- although that would rarely happen, as I have gotten pretty skilled at buzzing people over the years w/o actually hitting them.

So I let that move pass once, maybe twice, and then I'm on the wave with him from then on- so close I could step over onto his board. This rarely freaks me out, but I've had other people, esp noobs get completely wacked out by it, and get the hell away from me ASAP.

One exception of course is if you think this will lead to a fight that you don't feel like getting into. Then there are a number of other less confrontational options.

Note- I will not do this at anyone else's spot.
 08/25/2017 03:11 PM

surfnole

Joined Forum: 07/28/2003

Several years ago, in Nica, my buddy was deeper than some guy from San Diego. The guy from SD completely stuffed him and dropped in on him. When my friend said something to him, he replied "First to your feet". What BS.

Same buddy in El Sal a few years later, we had been waiting for the final wave fir 30 minutes before going back to the boat. 5 minutes before the final wave, another boat shows up (Punta Mango) and new person immediately paddles deeper than my friend. A wave came a couple of minutes later, and my friend completely dropped in on him, had a 300 yard ride and got in the boat.

New surfer paddles back out and complains to his buddy "Did you see that? He dropped in on me." I almost told him that he had been waiting for 30 minutes and d*ckhead had been there two minutes and paddled around him, but I kept my mouth shut. Etiquette.
 08/26/2017 10:58 AM

Cole

Joined Forum: 07/22/2003

Originally posted by: stokedpanda

I paddle around people all the time, most wont catch the waves anyway.

If you blew the wave when there used to be a pecking order, that was it and from that moment on you were fair game.

I was right.
 08/27/2017 07:02 AM

artz

Joined Forum: 10/30/2014

Grab the guys kook cord. No point in digging your own board. 

FORUMS : Surfing : Who has priority?

<< 1 2 Previous Last unread
Topic Tools Topic Tools
Statistics
146494 users are registered to the 2nd Light Forums forum.
There are currently 4 users logged in to the forum.

FuseTalk Basic Edition - © 1999-2024 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.

First there was Air Jordan .