Hey Matt B ... How the hell o are you ??? :)

2nd Light Forums
Decrease font size
Increase font size
Topic Title: Who has priority?
Topic Summary:
Created On: 08/21/2017 09:56 AM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
1 2 Next Last unread
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 08/21/2017 09:56 AM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

KyleKearns

Joined Forum: 03/15/2016

Is it the surfer closest to the peak of the wave or the first person standing?

-------------------------
kearnsmedia.com
 08/21/2017 10:11 AM

garcia

Joined Forum: 03/12/2007

Generally, the closest to the peak. However, if I am sitting on a spot, watching and waiting for a wave, and some jerk paddles around me to get closer to the peak (what used to be called "Japping" in less sensitive/aware times), I am still going. We'll just have to sort it out afterwards.
 08/21/2017 10:47 AM

chopola

Joined Forum: 09/04/2004

if your sitting next to each other or in a paddle battle its the guy closest to the peak. If a dude is paddling out and trying to get underneath and behind you late drop style, it is first to his feet. Of course ability always tweeks the rules a little bit. Kooks don't get the best waves.
 08/21/2017 10:56 AM

freesurfs

Joined Forum: 07/24/2003

haha... surfing now for over 53 years ... been there, done that

when freesurfing ... I agree
esp when the "snaker" trying to out position you to get the peak you're on is riding a more floaty board or SUP.
I'll go anyway and fade into that alpha wannabe wave hog to keep him off or drive him deep ... I'll still surf that wave the way I wanted to.

exception ... when traveling and one of the locals paddles around me to steal the peak... of course, I back off, and reposition for another one.

in most cases for me ... soon that local and his buds usually start sharing with me.

respect

... positioning and selection
 08/21/2017 11:20 AM

daner

Joined Forum: 04/20/2004

Along these lines. Anyone have a strategy for dealing with the guy that paddles in front of you from down the peak so to make the wave you have to paddle up their ass? I friggin hate that!

Replace turf grass with native plants that don't need irrigation and synthetic fertilizers or chemicals that can go into our waterways and ocean

08/21/2017 11:33 AM

CRETIN

Joined Forum: 02/19/2015

Originally posted by: daner

Along these lines. Anyone have a strategy for dealing with the guy that paddles in front of you from down the peak so to make the wave you have to paddle up their ass? I friggin hate that!

This sounds like a frequent occurrence at Barge peak.....isgust;

"If you'll have but a little Patience, you may see them make very noble Efforts towards striking off the Heads of the tall Poppies". This message is approved by CRETIN
 08/21/2017 11:36 AM

StirfryMcflurry

Joined Forum: 08/17/2016

whoever is wearing eclipse glasses + webbed gloves always gets it.

08/21/2017 11:43 AM

worksuxgetsponsered

Joined Forum: 01/19/2005

I should always have priority....

Specializing in sarcasm and condescending rhetoric since 1971.
 08/21/2017 11:56 AM

harrietdubman

Joined Forum: 11/07/2015

Originally posted by: daner Along these lines. Anyone have a strategy for dealing with the guy that paddles in front of you from down the peak so to make the wave you have to paddle up their ass? I friggin hate that!

lol...stand your ground!!

sneedeker

08/21/2017 12:45 PM

chopola

Joined Forum: 09/04/2004

Originally posted by: daner

If you have to run over somebody or have a collision at take off to make a point you had better do it. If they see they can get waves from you by doing that, they will every time.
 08/21/2017 01:57 PM

Cole

Joined Forum: 07/22/2003

If a guy or girl on a log catches it before it breaks and you take off on the peak, who is right?

I was right.
 08/21/2017 02:01 PM

daner

Joined Forum: 04/20/2004

Originally posted by: Cole

If a guy or girl on a log catches it before it breaks and you take off on the peak, who is right?

If you are going away from them I think they have priority. If you are going towards them and they are surfing towards you it's a tie.

Replace turf grass with native plants that don't need irrigation and synthetic fertilizers or chemicals that can go into our waterways and ocean

08/21/2017 02:25 PM

SunriseSurfer

Joined Forum: 07/22/2003

Age before beauty.
Respect your elders.

I should have priority all the time ...
... unless freesurfs is in the line-up.

Then that old codger has priority.

Puerto Rico 11 - 24 - 2013
 08/21/2017 04:06 PM

RioSirju

Joined Forum: 04/15/2011

Keyword is respect

08/21/2017 04:47 PM

grdsurf

Joined Forum: 09/28/2004

The paddle right in front of someone to block them and then get the wave is a great snake tactic. Having surfed Lowers extensively in recent times I've come to observe this quite often an have fallen victim to it many times. It can be difficult to counter...the only thing you can really do is paddle right up onto the offenders back to make your point. You have to be careful though...as this counter measure is equally aggressive and you never know what can of worms you might open. It might not be intentional...especially in a crowd when you have to be aggressive just to get a wave. I have literally threaded a needle to get a wave there with about a 2 foot space between the other surfers.....talk about a massive cluster *&$%@....I try to avoid confrontation at all cost even if I'm "in the right" per normal surfing protocol, it's not worth it when you are just trying to have fun.

Edited: 08/21/2017 at 07:02 PM by grdsurf
 08/21/2017 04:52 PM

foam ball

Joined Forum: 06/01/2005

This is why I quit surfing all the big named spots. Much happier surfing a random no name street than having to deal with this behavior. My surfing has become much more enjoyable as a result.
 08/21/2017 06:41 PM

MoonDog

Joined Forum: 07/21/2004

Originally posted by: foam ball This is why I quit surfing all the big named spots. Much happier surfing a random no name street than having to deal with this behavior. My surfing has become much more enjoyable as a result.
me to
 08/21/2017 07:09 PM

stevea

Joined Forum: 11/20/2009

Great topic! I agree with sunrise, first always respect the hands that taught you, elder or just orlder. Remember we do have the expirence on our side, youngins won't  see it coming, if it breaks here don't be there!!! And then go to nsb 

08/22/2017 12:39 AM

equipeola

Joined Forum: 12/17/2009

Originally posted by: grdsurf The paddle right in front of someone to block them and then get the wave is a great snake tactic. Having surfed Lowers extensively in recent times I've come to observe this quite often an have fallen victim to it many times. It can be difficult to counter...the only thing you can really do is paddle right up onto the offenders back to make your point. You have to be careful though...as this counter measure is equally aggressive and you never know what can of worms you might open. It might not be intentional...especially in a crowd when you have to be aggressive just to get a wave. I have literally threaded a needle to get a wave there with about a 2 foot space between the other surfers.....talk about a massive cluster *&$%@....I try to avoid confrontation at all cost even if I'm "in the right" per normal surfing protocol, it's not worth it when you are just trying to have fun.

main reason I said f---'m (same place^) back in like '79 for a few years and learnt me sum new chit, away from itall. 'Cept, never quit do'in 3-4 annual baja trips tho-- ohhh,, untold surftale madnesses for 30yrs after sTill, the best of m'surf'in life!! yeEw!-agin.   

ola ~

08/22/2017 05:17 AM

LagoonSurfer

Joined Forum: 07/06/2009

Originally posted by: MoonDog

Originally posted by: foam ball

This is why I quit surfing all the big named spots. Much happier surfing a random no name street than having to deal with this behavior. My surfing has become much more enjoyable as a result.

me to

Another vote for this. I'll trade a little size to surf uncrowned spots. This is especially true on a hyped long-period swell. Because nothing says pissed off like waiting 15 minutes for a wave and then having to do the math being referenced in this thread.

Brother, when you get a minute, could I get a list of the words that trigger these fits?

Hey. Where are we going? (And what are we doing in a hand-basket?)
FORUMS : Surfing : Who has priority?

1 2 Next Last unread
Topic Tools Topic Tools
Statistics
146495 users are registered to the 2nd Light Forums forum.
There are currently 2 users logged in to the forum.

FuseTalk Basic Edition - © 1999-2024 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.

First there was Air Jordan .