Hey Matt B ... How the hell o are you ??? :)

2nd Light Forums
Decrease font size
Increase font size
Topic Title: The Well
Topic Summary: What do you know about it?
Created On: 08/14/2017 02:29 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
1 2 Next Last unread
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 08/14/2017 02:29 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

CERTON

Joined Forum: 04/22/2011

Local surf spot back in late 70s early 80s, I'm looking for some good stories...

-------------------------
"Don't count the days, make the days count." -Ali
#rydyrstrong
 08/14/2017 03:25 PM

rc

Joined Forum: 01/02/2006

If you are referring to "Wells", I personally never surfed there but it was south of "Shark Pit" which was essentially where the 7-11 is near Spessard Holland. I do know that Kech has 1st hand knowledge of this spot.
Every time we drove by it, he'd call out Wells, but we never would so much as stop to check it.
I'm thinking it was like a wishing well, with the pump handle for fresh water and the little roof built over the top of it.
 08/14/2017 05:32 PM

CERTON

I've heard it referred to as both, but that's the spot and I know there's lore that's "well" worth learning.

#rydyrstrong
 08/14/2017 06:31 PM

mikedaniel

Joined Forum: 01/11/2012

Back in the 70s we had names for every spot down south that you could pull your car off A1A. You could park anywhere then. Vast stretches of undeveloped land.

The best spots were where you could drive into the palmettos and hide your vehicle. That way nobody could find your spot

The Well was named because it had an actual artesian well flowing, making sure we were doing our part to drain the Florida Aquifer. 

Ask Johnny O, or Dougie Deal, or the Strahles for details and they won't tell you either. Mole knows too, of course. 

Bonus points for talking about Red House.... Them wuz fun times.

08/14/2017 07:42 PM

leatherneck

Joined Forum: 01/16/2008

Sea Grapes

08/14/2017 09:57 PM

WillDarryl

Joined Forum: 03/08/2014

#1. Yeah what he said, "Sea Grapes". I slept many a nights in the sea grapes (river and ocean sides)....epic camping

#2. Rich and Bucket Strahle ripped that spot harder than anyone!  

#3. Kech is a kook! ( Quicksilver poria - take all you can, Matt)

#4. I forgot what #4 was.......but yeah those Strahle's ripped!!!

08/15/2017 01:23 AM

MyCatSprays

Joined Forum: 04/16/2015

Shark Pit and Wishing Wells are 2 totally different spots along the same empty stretch of south A1A that Mike Daniels speaks of!!! Use to camp and surf with my Dad at Wells in the late 70's. Sharkpit was gnarly and 2 now passed legends, Bruce Valuzzi and Billy Weismann used to own it when it fired!!! Not sure if Kech knows, but I know Mole and Tim Briers do, and the Drazich brothers!!! Kinda like Cherylnobles; Myths and breaks far gone!!!

Tubes, Boobs, & Doobs!!!
 08/15/2017 03:05 AM

wtf

Joined Forum: 11/23/2005

Although 'The Well' is gone, the spot is alive and well. Surfed it back in the late 80's/90's but heard many a story from when the artesian well was still there. It's in my backyard and it still fires - at least when we get waves. And it is not even close to shark pit.

QOP = Terrorists
FK = Gay
 08/15/2017 04:52 AM

crankit

Joined Forum: 07/30/2003

The well was about 1/4 mile south of New England Eatery, we started going there in the mid 60's, always seemed to break well especially on a north swell! We had some epic after surfing parties and bonfires there also! The Red house was about 1/2 mile north of Whities, also called the hippy house, both places were uncrowded and great waves!

Romans 8;18-32 John 3;16-18
 08/15/2017 07:28 AM

IMAKEWK

Joined Forum: 05/11/2015

technically all these places are still there

08/15/2017 07:35 AM

CERTON

Thanks in advance for sharing, I figured the ones still alive to remember it are either on this forum or friends with them.  If you have old pictures of bonfires, surf sessions, the well itself, or anything else nostalgic that would tell a story or uniquely capture the history, lemme know. 

#rydyrstrong

Edited: 08/15/2017 at 08:00 AM by CERTON
 08/16/2017 05:58 PM

SurfCaster

Joined Forum: 02/02/2007

We always used to check the surf at Chuck's Steak House...not because the surf was good necessarily, but to smell the char!

"If I say it's safe to surf this beach, captain, then it's safe to surf this beach!"
 08/16/2017 06:59 PM

SoHiGH

Joined Forum: 07/10/2015

Been there, done that... Puff puff, pass

08/16/2017 07:37 PM

steve

Joined Forum: 07/24/2003

Funny how spots would pop up and have their run of glory and then shut off. Floridas Choice was a good example in IHB. Sea Grapes as mentioned was a flavor of the month as well.

Sadly, 2 times my buddies and I scouted out a trail in the palmettos and they both were later roped off and along came the excavation team. One became Ponce Park and the other became Bonsteel Park. The trails were off by some yards but close enough.

Progress.

My parents went to Cocoa Beach and all I got was this lousy surfboard!
 08/16/2017 08:05 PM

SurfCaster

Joined Forum: 02/02/2007

But the real draw was always The Inlet...IMO most of those other spots weren't so much better than the spots up north that you'd make a lengthy drive down there to surf them...moreso they were uncrowded spots to surf and decompress after what could sometimes be an aggro First Peak session.

"If I say it's safe to surf this beach, captain, then it's safe to surf this beach!"
 08/16/2017 08:29 PM

Tiptime

Both Shark Pit & The Well were so good in the late 60's thru the 70's, its a shame not so these days Shark Pit would pack in a crowd, can remember cars parking on both sides of A1A for a quarter mile when it was on. The Well was more of a mystic break, kind of a get away spot-much less crowded, overall Shark Pit was more consistent the way the sandbars would form up Red House-- My brother lived there in the mid 70's, the kegs parties crazy Oh man if we had cell phones then the video's would have been off the charts So many good memories growing up in Melbourne beach

The Wavecaster
 08/16/2017 09:00 PM

equipeola

Joined Forum: 12/17/2009

^ +10!!

ola ~

08/17/2017 03:31 AM

CERTON

Shark Pit is a few steps south of our backyard and still works really well when our bars shape up (equipeola knows).

I found a long time local and self proclaimed first peak regulator (at one time) that confirmed the property we now own was the exact location of this unique surf spot where the aquifer was tapped.  He may be right, he may be wrong, but he has old pics and videos of secret sessions gone off at this spot back in the day.  And yes, it still goes off.  We'll be preserving the mystique, so history doesn't get lost when we leave.  

#rydyrstrong
 08/17/2017 04:11 AM

dingpatch

But, then again, remember. Back in "the day" there were various "cuts" through the scrub from A1A to parts of the old coastal watch trail along the dune line that connected the watch towers. Yes, you could pull off of A1A and park anywhere. Except, , , , who would want to park where there was no "cut" and otherwise have to walk through solid palmetto? So, and as such, we only named and surfed spots that could easily accessed. Many, if not most, where "all the same" when it came to surf. But, of course, and as always, it was, and still is, better where you weren't.

Dora Hates You
 08/17/2017 09:15 AM

garcia

Joined Forum: 03/12/2007

I used to surf Sharkpit quite a bit and the Well once in a while in the late 60s early 70s. Everybody I knew had a piece of old carpet/rug in the trunk to give some traction when we got stuck. One time, I was surfing Sharkpit just before sunset. I drove up to the dune and, sure enough, got stuck. So, the choice was dig out now or surf now and dig out after dark. I chose the latter. While I was out surfing, I saw a guy come up on the dune to check the surf. I started waving to him thinking I could get him to drive while I pushed. He peered at me a while as I paddled in, then, as I got to the sand, he took off running. "Hmmmm, that was odd, I wonder why he ran away?" thought I. So, I went back out and finished my session. When I came in later, I found out the scumbag had broken into my car and stolen my wallet. But, the waves were good and I had it to myself.
FORUMS : Surfing : The Well

1 2 Next Last unread
Topic Tools Topic Tools
Statistics
146494 users are registered to the 2nd Light Forums forum.
There are currently 0 users logged in to the forum.

FuseTalk Basic Edition - © 1999-2024 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.

First there was Air Jordan .