Hey Matt B ... How the hell o are you ??? :)

2nd Light Forums
Decrease font size
Increase font size
Topic Title: Hatteras to the Mountains
Topic Summary:
Created On: 06/26/2017 07:18 AM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 06/26/2017 07:18 AM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

tingo

Joined Forum: 09/22/2004

How far East would you say the North Carolina mountian extend east.

Im trying to do Hatteras and the closest mountains.

Thanks!

06/26/2017 07:36 AM

LBLarry

Joined Forum: 05/25/2004

In the Research Triangle" area (Raleigh, Durham, and Chapel Hill) it is "hilly" but imo you will have to get to at least the Hickory / Lenior area (and a little further west) until it would be actual mountains.

I would say that Buxton to Lenior is in the 7-8 hour range

-------------------------
"Most people would die sooner than think; in fact, they do." - Bertrand Russell

"Morality is doing what is right, regardless of what you are told. Religion is doing what you are told, regardless of what is right.

If I do not answer you .... nothing personal, I just have you on ignore.

Edited: 06/27/2017 at 11:19 AM by LBLarry
 06/26/2017 07:37 AM

tom

Joined Forum: 07/25/2003

Great trip.  64 to 40.  Turn right just before Asheville to Pisgah.  

Relax, take your time.  

add a signature since I'm here in profile anyway
 06/26/2017 08:26 AM

ww

Joined Forum: 08/17/2007

The easternmost semblance of a mountain is Mount Pilot, northwest of Winston-Salem.  From there you can take I-77 to the least interesting bit of the Blue Ridge Parkway and backtrack south.  The area around Rocky Mount, Virginia was an exceedingly busy center of moonshining.  Novel:  "The Wettest County in the World."  

Driving west toward Boone and catching the BRP toward Blowing Rock makes better sense.  It's a long drive.  

University of North Carolina Press has guidebooks to the state.  

06/26/2017 08:28 AM

RegularJoe

Joined Forum: 11/20/2011

Take your time, indeed! The NC cops don't mind collecting a little out-of-state revenue.

Google Maps says about 8 hrs from Hatty to Asheville.

You can also get from Hatty to Staunton, VA in about 6 hours, which gets you in the general vicinity of Snowshoe, WV.
 06/26/2017 09:14 AM

ww

Uh, yes.  NC isn't Florida when it comes to speed limits.  

UNC Press book:  The Battle for North Carolina's Coast:  Evolutionary History, Present Crisis & Visiion for the Future.  The Outer Banks are not at all stable.  A single big hurricane could make big changes.

06/26/2017 10:58 AM

StirfryMcflurry

Joined Forum: 08/17/2016

Originally posted by: ww The easternmost semblance of a mountain is Mount Pilot, northwest of Winston-Salem.  

Isn't that right outside of Mayberry?

06/26/2017 01:33 PM

ww

Yes.  It's a nice little mountain.

06/26/2017 08:24 PM

surferclimber

Joined Forum: 01/23/2011

Heading west I think the mountains start in Colorado, just past i25...

But seriously there's some hills that we call mountains near blowing rock town & boone which are cool little towns to visit. Easy access from blue ridge parkway ( or state park can't remember name) for hiking trails etc

get up early and go surf - it'll make that hangover go away and/or make the workday more tolerable :)

06/27/2017 12:04 AM

ww

The Parkway is a string of parks and trail heads.  Lots of places to stop and enjoy.  Not enough people with cars bother to.  

Don't diss the southern Appalachians.  Beautiful forests, even if the ones in the Tohoku region of Japan are arguably at least as beautiful.  Like this:

ff

I worked outdoors seven years in NW Wyoming and my office had a view of Mt. Hood for three.  The East has lesser scenery, great forests.  

06/27/2017 08:06 AM

Sector9surf

Joined Forum: 01/14/2010

I've been to the Blueridge Mountains in North Carolina. I'm not sure if you would call them mountains but they were to me. A few begginner friendly rapids for kayaking or rafting and also some Trout farms. We didn't go to the coast, but from what I remember then is its about 12hrs from the Coast.

06/27/2017 12:03 PM

ChillPhil123

Joined Forum: 11/08/2009

I moved to Winston-Salem a couple of years ago so maybe a little local knowledge. I'd say in the 6-8 hour range gives you a ton of options.  

Go north - Roanoke/Staunton/Lexington, VA area. Plenty big mountains and outdoor activities. Probably the most limitted when it comes to city size. I live about 2 hours from this area and make multiple trips a year to hike/camp.

Go west - Directly accross the state. Will hit Raleigh, no real mountains yet but cool city with plenty to do.  Greensboro/Winston-Salem smaller than Raleigh a little closer to mountains. Winston is an up and coming cool vibe city.  Plenty of hikes within 1.5 hours from here. Like some mentioned Pilot Mountain is cool, has a good assortment of trails (can drive to the top if your not interested in hiking), say 45 minutes from downtown Winston.  Also good (better in my opinion) are Hanging Rock SP and Stone Mountain (no not the one in GA). If that isnt enough mountain for you can head west from there towards Boone.  Heart of applacia there. Plenty of mountain sports and the rest.

Go southwest - hit Charlotte and head to Ashville area.  Lots of good stuff around here.

I'd also recommend enjoying a couple cold ones along the way. Any route you go is deep into the local craft beer craze and also unique to the area are plenty of wineries, depending on your cup of tea.

06/27/2017 12:55 PM

ww

From the Raleigh-Durham area, Staunton and West Virginia beyond offers some of the best scenery.  An expedition all the way to Canaan Valley National Wildlife Refuge and Dolly Sods would be worthwhile.  Also Seneca Rocks and quite a lot more.  

I haven't been up there in the age of digital photography.

06/29/2017 12:01 PM

dannyinsc

Joined Forum: 09/09/2016

It's a day drive to the mountains but....worth it...especially fall. Enjoy!

Statistics
146495 users are registered to the 2nd Light Forums forum.
There are currently 0 users logged in to the forum.

FuseTalk Basic Edition - © 1999-2024 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.

First there was Air Jordan .