Hey Matt B ... How the hell o are you ??? :)

2nd Light Forums
Decrease font size
Increase font size
Topic Title: Birdwell surf trunks...
Topic Summary:
Created On: 05/23/2017 03:28 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
1 2 Next Last unread
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 05/23/2017 03:28 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

GaryK

Joined Forum: 06/02/2016

Just curious if anyone had pros/cons with them (excluding the price) ? ....or chafing?  Made in USA, seem built tough...

05/23/2017 04:08 PM

Kimo63

Joined Forum: 04/22/2012

back in the 70's they used to give your bellybutton area a royal rubbing when surfing , otherwise they were just fine for walking around in .
 05/23/2017 04:28 PM

asurferscomposition

Joined Forum: 02/27/2017

The only pro is durability.

I know I'll get shit for this- It's nice they are made in the USA, but if there is a superior product that happens to made somewhere else then I'm going to buy it. 

I know you said to disregard it, but for me chafing is the biggest issue. I guess I have sensitve skin.

Then there are all the small things. zip pocket? which way does it face? is it on the back or the side? Key string? Does the string in the waist have a rubber texture on it so it doesn't come untied? How long are they? Is it stretchy material? How fast does it dry? If a pair of boardshorts has everything I want I don't mind spending some money on them. It's not like I'm buying them very often. 

-------------------------
@surferscomposition
Daily (sort of) video reports in my IG stories
 05/23/2017 04:45 PM

tom

Joined Forum: 07/25/2003

Balsa Bird...., Um, Bills.

If you're interested in Birdwells,

You owe it to yourself to check Bills.

add a signature since I'm here in profile anyway
 05/23/2017 06:33 PM

dingpatch

Joined Forum: 07/24/2003

Todd Snyder Birdwells

Dora Hates You
 05/23/2017 08:04 PM

ww

Joined Forum: 08/17/2007

For retro and made in the USA (Florida), Balsa Bill is the real deal.  

Birdwell was bought and brought back to life by an early employee of Facebook, or something like that.  They now have modern order fulfillment, custom ordering, whatever.  They've also updated the sizing to be consistent with most of the rest of the boardshort industry, and they got rid of velcro flies, went back to buttons.  They have a polyester stretch model, about the same price ($79) as their non-stretch nylon shorts.  That's a bit less than the tech-heavy models from Hurley, Quik, BillabongO'Neill, and Patagonia (also here)  Some good Depactus models are still available from Swell and its Australian counterpart (Surfstitch) and its European version (Surfdome).  Prices fluctuate, like at Macy's.  

I have a pair of stretch Birdwells, a non-stretch, and a couple of older nylon models with velcro flies from a promotion, something like $7 each.  Unlike some other old-style nylon shorts, they don't tend to slide off, so they've stayed in the drawer.

With modern shorts, my high-end gray Patagonia shorts (stretch hydro planing, with bonded construction, simple waistband) are great in the water and dry fast.  A couple of other Patagonias are made of heavier cloth and feel more sturdy.

A pair of bonded stretch Billabong shorts, about 3 years old with a kind of stiff waistband, seem as functional as a recent pair of upscale Hurleys with a fancy waistband.  Admittedly the Hurleys feel like nothing in the water.   

Depactuses for around $15 were a bargain.  Great for working in the yard.  

The best looking item in the drawer is a a pair of navy blue shorts with white horizontal stripes at the bottom and a white pocket flap, from Iron & Resin, a Bruce Brown Films Special Edition made in Caliifornia, polyester that feels like nylon.  They won't wrinkle.  Perfect for parties. 

Edited: 05/23/2017 at 11:26 PM by ww
 05/24/2017 03:57 AM

dkaye

Joined Forum: 08/19/2007

no thanks, sticking with my speedo's

https://www.instagram.com/dj_kaye_/

05/24/2017 05:16 AM

StirfryMcflurry

Joined Forum: 08/17/2016

rockin my new custom patagonia surf-romper!

05/24/2017 05:49 AM

Central Floridave

Joined Forum: 07/22/2003

You can't "Buy Local" anymore than Balsa Bill's. His surf shop is in Satellite Beach. Check it out. Its a good one.
 05/24/2017 05:56 AM

CERTON

Joined Forum: 04/22/2011

pro: 'Big Wednesday' look and feel

con: 'Big Wednesday' look and feel

"Don't count the days, make the days count." -Ali
#rydyrstrong
 05/24/2017 06:32 AM

IHBPatrick

Joined Forum: 05/14/2009

The Birdwell's combat nylon was the bobmb in the sixties!

05/24/2017 06:35 AM

artz

Joined Forum: 10/30/2014

Birdwell's are The board Shorts that your great great grand Childen will inherit.  That and a classic Yater Spoon. 

05/24/2017 09:04 AM

johnnyboy

Joined Forum: 07/22/2003

I once wore a birdwells for the entire summer of 1979 as a 10 year old boy. I was not alone. Everyone did.

"One of the reasons why propaganda tries to get you to hate government is because it's the one existing institution in which people can participate to some extent and constrain tyrannical unaccountable power." Noam Chomsky.

05/24/2017 11:14 AM

LBLarry

Joined Forum: 05/25/2004

Originally posted by: Kimo63

back in the 70's they used to give your bellybutton area a royal rubbing when surfing , otherwise they were just fine for walking around in .

Dude .... if your Birdwell's were giving you bellybutton rash, maybe you shouldn't have been wearing them with the waist ban just below your arm pits ..... just say'en

"Most people would die sooner than think; in fact, they do." - Bertrand Russell

"Morality is doing what is right, regardless of what you are told. Religion is doing what you are told, regardless of what is right.

If I do not answer you .... nothing personal, I just have you on ignore.
 05/24/2017 11:24 AM

vtecmonster

Joined Forum: 10/02/2007

I purchased a pair on super sale last year. I just had purchased a nose rider, so I thought, why not some retro boardshorts!? They are terrible! Super uncomfortable and cut weird. I'm a 100% sure that I will never wear them. I was super disappointed. ...but they were so cheap, it wasn't worth my time to ship them back. 

05/24/2017 12:10 PM

garcia

Joined Forum: 03/12/2007

Sorry hear all the bad reviews. I lived in my Birdwell's throughout high school and college (the entire 70s). My favorite pair was double-lined and when I wore out the outside layer, I ripped them off and wore the inside layer for another 4-5 years. I surfed, swam, played basketball and softball, and probably even wore them on dates. Like Levi's, they were soft and flexible after the break in period. Best baggies I ever wore.
 05/24/2017 01:22 PM

Kimo63

Joined Forum: 04/22/2012

LBLarry , I was a skinny kid back then and they used to slide up when you surfed. My fat ass would probably hold them down if I gave them another go. They were built tough , I'll give them that.
 05/24/2017 01:55 PM

FREDDYMAC

Joined Forum: 04/11/2013

i had a pair when I was a kid-was a hand me down from cousing in Cali, loved them.

Bought a couple of pairs (long model) and I love them...really gets softer after breaking in.... dries fast-no rash issues-but im hairy and never usually get rashes easily

also bought 4 pairs of original 301's(short0 with velcro-whe they were on sale for $8 6months ago.....

All my stretchy Bill-a Bongs stay in closet now...

And being made in USA is important and the lifetime warrantee is also good....

expensive $79 but tall the others are getting as expensive and they will not last

05/24/2017 02:21 PM

oldsufr3

Joined Forum: 08/10/2003

Balsa Bills here too. Double thick, no speedo required. No chafing, dry quickly. I get 10 years plus out of them so price is not an issue. Just gotta watch the diet

Need more water time. Plenty of time left to make $$
 05/24/2017 02:49 PM

GaryK

Joined Forum: 06/02/2016

Thank you everyone for the feedback (and good humor).  I never gave them much thought until I recently noticed they make in 21" now.   I've had a shorter cut cotton pair from Bill's, & still ride the snot out of his pintail he sold me 15+ yrs ago.  The cotton was a bit too heavy for me compared to all the lightweight stuff now, & I forgot he carried nylon...I'll check in with him before looking at the birds.  I always try my best to support locals first, then look for made in USA.    I'll have to ask  'ol Tommy at 13th St next time I see him, he's had the purple ones as long as I can remember.          -Aloha

Edited: 05/24/2017 at 04:17 PM by GaryK
FORUMS : Surfing : Birdwell surf trunks...

1 2 Next Last unread
Topic Tools Topic Tools
Statistics
146499 users are registered to the 2nd Light Forums forum.
There are currently 1 users logged in to the forum.

FuseTalk Basic Edition - © 1999-2024 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.

First there was Air Jordan .