Hey Matt B ... How the hell o are you ??? :)

2nd Light Forums
Decrease font size
Increase font size
Topic Title: Kelly doesn't look too injured to me!
Topic Summary: Missing Rio ????
Created On: 05/22/2017 06:06 AM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
1 2 Next Last unread
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 05/22/2017 06:06 AM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

mushmonster

Joined Forum: 12/08/2005

Anyone know who his back dr is? I need him lol!http://stabmag.com/full-frame/...ors-orders-gold-coast/

-------------------------
"The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits" Albert Einstein
 05/22/2017 06:13 AM

daner

Joined Forum: 04/20/2004

Before Rio he said he has been in constant pain for 3 years. Six months ago he said he was in great shape and committed to winning a WSL championship. Doesn't add up to me.

Replace turf grass with native plants that don't need irrigation and synthetic fertilizers or chemicals that can go into our waterways and ocean

05/22/2017 06:18 AM

EOC

Joined Forum: 09/17/2005

Kelly knows he isn't in the title race.. Kelly also knows Rio is traditionaly the worst contest of the year, so he opted to skip it. He's skipped others in the past to chase waves
 05/22/2017 06:28 AM

daner

Joined Forum: 04/20/2004

Originally posted by: EOC

Kelly knows he isn't in the title race.. Kelly also knows Rio is traditionaly the worst contest of the year, so he opted to skip it. He's skipped others in the past to chase waves

I agree. I wish he had checked the forecast and surfed it. The waves turned out pretty good and a number of guys cut the distance to Jon Jon.

Replace turf grass with native plants that don't need irrigation and synthetic fertilizers or chemicals that can go into our waterways and ocean

05/22/2017 06:52 AM

Cole

Joined Forum: 07/22/2003

I know he flew back to Australia from the US for back treatment. I'm pretty sure he has had four hip surgeries too.

Kelly is 45. Those of you that are his age and older know exactly what it feels like after a three hour session. Combine that with 30 years of Pipe, Mavericks, Waimea and a zillion other wave that would make most of us shudder and call for mommy and it's easy to see why he needs repair work.

Tom Curren
Rob Bain
Damien Hardman
Martin Potter
Sunny Garcia
Brad Gerlach
Derek Ho
Tom Carroll

Those are the guys on tour when Kelly started and he is still capable of taking wunderkind John John down in a heat. If Kelly wants a rest, I say give it to him.

I was right.
 05/22/2017 07:04 AM

equipeola

Joined Forum: 12/17/2009

Originally posted by: daner Before Rio he said he has been in constant pain for 3 years. Six months ago he said he was in great shape and committed to winning a WSL championship. Doesn't add up to me.

We just gotta be smarter than the aveage bear t'see and add it up yogi

ola ~

05/22/2017 07:08 AM

dkaye

Joined Forum: 08/19/2007

easy answer, rio sucks

https://www.instagram.com/dj_kaye_/

05/22/2017 07:09 AM

Greensleeves

Even more important for the days they run the Fiji contest to be macking. Less bending and torquing and of course slants the heats toward him anyway.

On that note it's about time they hold another day or two at nasty reefy restaurants!
 05/22/2017 07:15 AM

Central Floridave

Is that a hit piece on Slater?
 05/22/2017 08:53 AM

dkaye

Joined Forum: 08/19/2007

don't be as sl8r h8r 

https://www.instagram.com/dj_kaye_/

05/22/2017 09:41 AM

frothing321

Joined Forum: 01/29/2017

All speculation. Just another 2 paragraph article by stabmag to get some attention. if kellys injured hes injured.

05/22/2017 01:53 PM

puinsai

Joined Forum: 09/08/2011

Kelly's got game injured or not. Go Ke12y !

05/22/2017 01:56 PM

Kimo63

Joined Forum: 04/22/2012

A bad back is tricky business , just ask Tiger Woods .
 05/22/2017 03:59 PM

miker

Joined Forum: 04/05/2010

Originally posted by: Greensleeves

Even more important for the days they run the Fiji contest to be macking. Less bending and torquing and of course slants the heats toward him anyway.

On that note it's about time they hold another day or two at nasty reefy restaurants!

Yes ...one of my favorite short vids is of Kelly there.

05/23/2017 03:40 AM

Ragga P

Joined Forum: 03/14/2006

Originally posted by: Cole

I'm pretty sure he has had four hip surgeries too.

WOW! Resurfacings or full replacements?

photo IMG_3156.jpg
 05/23/2017 05:05 AM

Cole

Originally posted by: Ragga P

He was never down long enough for the replacement, so it must have been Labrum and the like.

I was right.
 05/23/2017 05:26 AM

Ragga P

Joined Forum: 03/14/2006

Originally posted by: Ragga P

He was never down long enough for the replacement, so it must have been Labrum and the like.

Makes sense. I guess the THR will come once he retires... then he can join our club!

photo IMG_3156.jpg
 05/23/2017 11:16 AM

johnnyboy

The professional athlete must suffer through a lot of pain to play on game day. Abby Wombach gave an interview where she said that the most you could hope for when the game begins is to be 80%. She said that it took four to five hours of taping, stretching, physical therapy, loads of advil, and a prescription diet complete with electrolytes tailored to her. She quit at 35.

"One of the reasons why propaganda tries to get you to hate government is because it's the one existing institution in which people can participate to some extent and constrain tyrannical unaccountable power." Noam Chomsky.

05/23/2017 12:39 PM

vagabond

Joined Forum: 04/20/2005

Injuries come in all forms to pro athletes including some mean lacerations http://www.instagram.com/p/BUa...n-by=oliverkurtz&hl=en

always return home with dignity
 05/23/2017 01:49 PM

asurferscomposition

Joined Forum: 02/27/2017

Originally posted by: frothing321 All speculation. Just another 2 paragraph article by stabmag to get some attention. if kellys injured hes injured.

I have a couple more paragraphs

After pulling out of Rio, Slater stated, "With my body feeling the way it has, I'm not going to be winning a world title. I'm basically taking a month off." You might find this hard to believe after seeing the recent photo of him punting a huge inverted backside air on the Goldcoast. His back didn't look like it was giving him too much trouble.

Kelly could really have a hurt back, or Kelly could simply have not wanted to go to Rio. The two aren't necessarily mutually exclusive; however, one may have played a greater role than the other in his decision to withdraw. Over the last six years Kelly has only pulled out of three contests, all of which being Brazil. It seems a little coincidental that for the last six years all his injuries have occurred right before the same contest.

While it may not be Kelly's favorite stop on tour, three out of the last six years that Kelly did go to Brazil he got a fifth, third, and thirteenth. This year going into Rio Kelly was carrying two thirteenths. A third or a fifth right now would put him back into the title hunt.

Kelly is a man of stats; he knows better than anyone how hard it would be to win a world title with more than two thirteenths. Over the last five years only two championship tour winners (John John and Adriano) had more than two thirteenths. In fact, Parko and Mick didn't do worse than a ninth in 2012 and 2013, respectively.

At this point in his career barrel riding and heat strategy are Kelly's greatest strengths. All the remaining events, except for trestles (one of Kelly's best events), have the possibility of offering up barreling conditions. So maybe he doesn't need Rio....

Whatever the truth really is, winning a world title with two thirteenths and an injury withdraw, is going to be an uphill battle.

@surferscomposition
Daily (sort of) video reports in my IG stories
FORUMS : Surfing : Kelly doesn't look too injured to me!

1 2 Next Last unread
Topic Tools Topic Tools
Statistics
146495 users are registered to the 2nd Light Forums forum.
There are currently 1 users logged in to the forum.

FuseTalk Basic Edition - © 1999-2024 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.

First there was Air Jordan .