Hey Matt B ... How the hell o are you ??? :)

2nd Light Forums
Decrease font size
Increase font size
Topic Title: From Surfline: Coast Guard recruiting
Topic Summary:
Created On: 05/20/2017 03:30 AM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 05/20/2017 03:30 AM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

ww

Joined Forum: 08/17/2007

Surfers and water polo players wanted

05/20/2017 11:06 AM

vwsurf

Joined Forum: 06/15/2004

I did 9 years in the Coast Guard. 4 in Hawaii. Perfect fit for surfers

-------------------------
Surf all day, polka all night, everything is alright.
 05/20/2017 05:53 PM

coastiesurfer

Joined Forum: 03/07/2011

I can vouch for this..I've been in the CG for 11 years. I chose the CG for this exact reason... To see the world and surf. Well, that didn't happen right out of boot camp as I was sent to a search and rescue (SAR) station out of New Orleans. Once I left there I went to Va Beach and I traveled a lot with the job I had there and surf a lot of the continental US. following that I wanted to go back to where I was from so I put in for a cutter out of canaveral. Ask and you shall receive. I ended up going to CGC Confidence. A 210' which pretty much sent me to every island in the Caribbean and I found places that I didn't even know had waves. For example grand Cayman was probably one of the best spots I surfed. THE best place I went to was Bocas Del Toro Panama. If you've seen drive thru Caribbean you would see why haha. I spent three weeks in Barbados, 100% paid for. Now, I'm stationed at another SAR station in new Smyrna. Just a few minute walk to the inlet (which sucked today). The CG has been great and I will agree with the article when it said we have a little edge on non-surfers. I feel as tho I can read a breaking wave or a swell a little better than my buddy from Kentucky. (Not trying to be cocky) also, reading weather patterns and forecasting storms. All in all, it's been a great experience and I highly recommend ANYONE, not just surfers that are not sure of their career path to think about the CG. If anyone has questions feel free to PM or ask on here and I will be glad to answer them as best as I can. Cheers

05/20/2017 08:48 PM

ww

Joined Forum: 08/17/2007

Bocas del Toro is famous for its cycads along the shore, Zamia skinneri.  They were researched by a nursery operator from Kauai who also happens to surf, and was impressed.  

Statistics
146494 users are registered to the 2nd Light Forums forum.
There are currently 0 users logged in to the forum.

FuseTalk Basic Edition - © 1999-2024 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.

First there was Air Jordan .