Hey Matt B ... How the hell o are you ??? :)

2nd Light Forums
Decrease font size
Increase font size
Topic Title: First Peak Project Event at Sebastian Inlet Surf & Sport May 27
Topic Summary:
Created On: 05/16/2017 02:55 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
1 2 Next Last unread
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 05/16/2017 02:55 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Ryand10

Joined Forum: 06/15/2016

Come out to Sebastian Inlet Surf & Sport on May 27th from 4pm-10pm for their 5th Anniversary Party and support the First Peak Project which is dedicated to restoring the first peak at Sebastian Inlet State Park. There will be live music, food, drinks, vendors, and live mural painting. Everyone is invited!!!!

05/17/2017 03:44 AM

Central Floridave

Joined Forum: 07/22/2003

Sebastian Inlet Surf & Sport are making waves! 5 years has got to be tough in the retail business. Congrats!
 05/17/2017 03:47 AM

Shalapics

Joined Forum: 09/22/2015

This is an exciting project worth supporting and parties at Sebastian Inlet Surf and Sport are always a lot of fun! With all the different vendors at this one it is sure to be an excellent way to spend your Saturday of Memorial Day weekend!

-------------------------
"Yes there are two paths you can go by, but in the long run, there's still time to change the road you're on. " -LZep
 05/19/2017 05:44 AM

Central Floridave

05/21/2017 01:14 PM

TheFirstPeakProject

Joined Forum: 01/12/2016

Bump for a good time! First Peak Forum starts at 4pm, so be there early!

The First Peak Project is a 501(c)(3) public benefit organization whose mission is to restore the legendary wave First Peak at Sebastian Inlet to its former glory. 

www.firstpeak.org

05/21/2017 04:10 PM

daner

Joined Forum: 04/20/2004

John, Hope to be there with the rest of the "W" crew. Too bad you couldn't get St. John's Wood to play. They draw a serious crowd!

Replace turf grass with native plants that don't need irrigation and synthetic fertilizers or chemicals that can go into our waterways and ocean

05/21/2017 07:37 PM

kneeblaster

Joined Forum: 08/11/2003

Please come out and support this great cause. I'm known on 2nd light as a kneeboard surfer, but I'm also a brewer with Red Buoy Brewers. We're going all in for this event, maxing out our lifeguard kegerator with nine kegs of craft beer.

see you there!

05/22/2017 07:22 AM

Central Floridave

" They draw a serious crowd! " Cherry Down is my band, so we get credit for any serious crowd that is there this time. LOL. (Righto)
Youtube Charlie Pickett. They are coming up from Miami and looks like they are pretty good. Of course Billy Chapman is long time Brevard Musician. Should be a fun event.

I think kneeblaster is my new best friend! Love craft beer...See ya'll there.
 05/22/2017 07:57 AM

daner

OPPs My Bad-didn't read the fine print! Hope to get there and hear Cherry Down!

It was an inside comment since St. John's Wood pulled in like 500 for their last Night Sounds at the Inlet gig- John and I were there.

Replace turf grass with native plants that don't need irrigation and synthetic fertilizers or chemicals that can go into our waterways and ocean

05/22/2017 08:00 AM

Central Floridave

Are they the beatles tribute band? I've seen them. they are good.
 05/22/2017 08:02 AM

Central Floridave

googled st johns wood, same band. 60s rock. Saw them at Squid Lips and enjoyed them. Talented band for sure.
 05/22/2017 08:17 AM

daner

Yes mostly British Invasion music, Stones, Beatles, Who, Zombies, Animals, etc.

Edited: 05/22/2017 at 08:23 AM by daner
 05/22/2017 07:31 PM

Central Floridave

from surfrider email of craft beer attendees:

Red Buoy Brewers
The Red Buoy Brewers are in fact Wabasso lifeguards ... who make really, really good beer ... like contest winning beer. The guys are all in on the First Peak Project and they mean business.

Pareidolia Brewing Company
Pareidolia: The imagined perception of a pattern or meaning where it does not actually exist.
Yes, and while we all imagine First Peak as it was, that vision does not exist, but we can make it it happen. Oh Yes We Can! From Sebastian, SUP surfer Pete Anderson will bring some of his finest to our tasting tables.

Hell 'N Blazes Brewing Company
Straight outta old downtown Melbourne, Hell 'N Blazes' Andy Pinkerton took about one second to jump on the First Peak bandwagon. If you've been to their Taproom, you know how great their pours are.

Walking Tree Brewery
Vero Beach checks in with two great breweries. Walking Tree has such a cool vibe near the airport. A cavernous space (formerly a WWII naval supply warehouse) great people, awesome tasting menu. A must visit ... and ardent supporters of the the First Peak Project.

Orchid Island Brewery
Have a fondness for summery beers? Then stop trying to cram a lime wedge in your Corona bottle and drink some real citrus infused IPAs and sour beers from this Vero Beach gem. The difference is obvious.
 05/23/2017 05:04 AM

Central Floridave

Charlie Pickett:

05/25/2017 06:11 AM

daner

CFLDAVE Do you know what time Cherry Down will be playing?

05/25/2017 07:41 AM

Central Floridave

Event is from 4 to 10pm and we are slated to play last. so probably 8:00 or 8:30 and we have the green light to play past 10pm if the beer is still flowing...
 05/25/2017 07:56 AM

daner

Nice! Top Billing.
Look forward to hearing you guys.

Edited: 05/25/2017 at 08:28 AM by daner
 05/25/2017 10:56 AM

Central Floridave

Thanks, I hope we don't disappoint! I'll be there early to set up. Come and say hello and let's cheer to a beer!

05/27/2017 03:55 PM

ww

Joined Forum: 08/17/2007

Fine presentation with some media coverage.  

As a biologist, I'm not a good engineering critic, but:

1.  It's pretty well understood how the Jetty was altered, degrading First Peak

2.  Methods for altering/protecting/improving structures like the Jetty have improved and become more versatile in recent years.  It looks like modifications can be made pretty easily and cheaply, and reversibly if so desired.  

3.  Wave modelling methods have improved.  If you still worry that waves are ridiculously hard to model, there's the empirical alternative, that the past layout of the Jetty is known and can be restored.

4.  Various alternatives will be available, allowing for picking something based on cost and likelihood of success

5.  The situation is nothing like the artificial reef proposals of years past, all of which failed.  

6.  The impending wave park proliferation may help the cause of tweaking "wave parks" that utilize natural swells and coastal processes, with a bit of help (correctly designed jetty)

7.  It helps a lot that the Sebastian Inlet Jetty is an engineering marvel.  A typical jetty is a straight pile of rocks.  Our Jetty is a water-permeable cousin to a pier, and it curves.  It's different from the others.

On the other hand, I hope that photo and video archives of Sebastian Inlet can be made complete enough to show how good it was.  The ease of making and posting photos means that footage from other jetties is becoming increasingly available, and much of that footage is pretty noxious.  

As the presentation emphasized, surfing waves are fairly delicate things.  Good ones are valuable.  It might be best to be careful about over-promising, though I'm pretty confident that alterations can be made with a pretty strong promise of doing good and NOT doing harm.  I think progress might be made in stages.  

The post-talk discussion reminded me a bit of acoustics people trying to adjust a concert hall, which can be a delicate business.  Good concert halls and opera houses are marvels of making non-amplified music heard.  A lot is known about how to design them, but until recently, it hasn't been easy to assure, before construction, that a design will be really good.  Waves at beaches seem likely to be even more difficult in terms of physics.  Tweaking a jetty will be a pioneering project.  

Congratulations, so far, to the First Peak Project. 

05/28/2017 08:02 AM

Central Floridave

WW, I was there you should have said hello. Good seeing you Daner. See you again in another 20 years! LOL.
Statistics
146495 users are registered to the 2nd Light Forums forum.
There are currently 0 users logged in to the forum.

FuseTalk Basic Edition - © 1999-2024 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.

First there was Air Jordan .