Hey Matt B ... How the hell o are you ??? :)

2nd Light Forums
Decrease font size
Increase font size
Topic Title: Honor Dick Catri & Pete Dooley at Boards & Waves Expo III
Topic Summary: June 3 & 4, Melbourne Auditorium
Created On: 05/15/2017 05:20 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 05/15/2017 05:20 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

lmsurf

Joined Forum: 03/26/2017

The East Coast's only consumer expo for surfers, paddlers, beachgoers & more is set for June 3 & 4, Melbourne Auditorium, Melbourne, FL.  Boards & Waves Expo III will feature & highlight surfboard shapers, board builders, fin & foam manufacturers, beach artists and more in a two day festival...."talk story" with shapers about your new summer board, watch the surfboard shaping demos, see a surfboard being painted live and up-close, enter to win a Ricky Carroll surfboard & other killer prizes.  This Expo will also honor & recognize Pete Dooley from Natural Art Surfboards and Dick Catri from Catri Surfboards (who unfortunately passed away today).  A portion of the proceeds will benefit ocean-related causes special to Pete & Dick as well as the Melbourne High Surf Team travel fund.  10am-4pm both days, $5.00 daily donation-under 10 free.  www.boardsandwaves.com

05/15/2017 06:14 PM

bugsbunny

Joined Forum: 12/18/2013

Why Catri should have to share the stage, with anyone at this point in his life is another black eye for surfing history. The ESA ignored him, now he has to share the stage with Dooley as a consolation prize. What a disconnect to the history of surfing. I can tell you as a personal friend, from fishing and surfing, he was furious with Cecil and the ESA for ignoring him COMPLETELY 100%, as Catri sat on the front row, where I placed him in a wheel chair. They refused to recognize him one time. I drove him home afterwards. Thanks Cecil, Michele, Hunter, for the last hurrah.

05/16/2017 10:43 AM

Central Floridave

Joined Forum: 07/22/2003

I'm sure some who aren't disconnecting from surfing history knows, but sorry, I don't understand bugsbunny and don't get what ESA has to do with this surfing expo. Airing dirty laundry after a man passes goes against the whole "Rest In Peace" motto. It sounds like Dick Catri agreed to support this expo before he passed so I fail to see how 'sharing the stage' with anyone goes against that. Black eye for surfing history? Really?

05/16/2017 11:18 AM

MyCatSprays

Joined Forum: 04/16/2015

!

-------------------------
Tubes, Boobs, & Doobs!!!

Edited: 10/30/2017 at 11:10 AM by MyCatSprays
 05/16/2017 03:29 PM

bugsbunny

Dave, did you visit Catri? take him out to lunch or dinner? Take him to surfing functions? I bought him a wheel chair so he could go. Take him to church? Bring him fish when you went fishing? Just drop by and say hi? Take your dirty laundry and stick it up your ass. I did. I work with him in his last years to develope his surfing legacy thru a surfboard collection, considered the best anywhere. Some are his own personal boards that I was unable to display. All signed with Catri holding the boards. I have 13 boards. The Melb. Expo didn't have room to show Brewer/Catri surfboard, Nuuhiwa/Catri, Catri/lightning Bolt, Superman Logo Kevlar.  One of boards.The shaping room should have been for Catri. Big black eye, screw you. Dave, another armchair quarterback, that does nothing, and judges those that do. Maybe next time, help those that cannot help themselves. doesn't sound like you do.

05/16/2017 04:30 PM

Central Floridave

Hey bugs bunny, get off the bitter pill you are on, you are choking on them. Catri has passed away and I read what you write and it sounds like you are ruining his legacy with petty bullshit. btw, I didn't know Catri, nor do I know dooley, and give two shits about the ESA, collector surfboards, or that you are the greatest person in your own mind. I do know those two or surfing legends and whatever is between them, should-be "Resting In Peace". What I'm saying is that your bitterness is ruining something that should be a celebration of life and not burning dirty laundry. But whatever. You obviously have a bone to pick. your anger towards me is duly noted. I wish you good luck in your endeavors. If you need help from me, just ask. Otherwise, don't judge me.
 05/16/2017 05:03 PM

bugsbunny

Sorry Princess, didn't mean to hurt your feelings. It is probably better, if you don't know what you are talking about, don't say anything.

05/16/2017 05:03 PM

rc

Joined Forum: 01/02/2006

I can't help myself but to comment. Bugs, I loved Dick. A total legend. My first contest I surfed in, Dick was running in 1979 at Da Pier. I was the ESA Central District Director from 1983-1988, with Dick's girlfriend Tammy Farmer "filling in" for 1986-1987. I personally knew Dr. Colin "Doc" Couture (the executive director of the ESA) until his death in 1988. Yes, well connected to the ESA.
With all due respect, do you realize who CFLDave is? Yeah, he's our 2ndlight.com legend.
If you piss Dave off, who is one of the most level headed guys in our sport, then you are on the wrong track.
We appreciate what you did for Dick, but I tend to agree with Dave here.
Let's honor his life positively.

Another classic memory: 1998.
Bob McTavish brings a 6 man longboard team led by Ray Gleaves to meet 6 east coasters invited by none other than Dick.
Hurricane Bonnie's swell arrived that day we surfed against them at Da Pier.
Funny thing is that I was riding a Pete Dooley Natural Art Rich Price 9'2" in that event.
Great memory, and an even better banquet that evening sponsored by Ron Jons.

Edited: 05/16/2017 at 05:47 PM by rc
 05/16/2017 07:06 PM

bugsbunny

RC, you can let Dave pee on your leg, because he is a legend, not on mine. Mr. level head doesn't even know who Pete and Catri are. I had no beef with Dave, he is entittle to his opinon and you can agree with someone who doesn't know what he is talking about. Sounds normal.

05/16/2017 08:25 PM

Central Floridave

This guy is a piece of work. I know who they are (I've lived and surfed in Brevard since the 70s, How can you not know who they are?!?), I just don't know them personally. Bugs bunny, to me, is just another anonymous troll on the internet. Sounds abnormal...

Meanwhile, "Honor Dick Catri & Pete Dooley at Boards & Waves Expo III" Gets bumped up to the top with a little bit of drama! Rock on!

05/17/2017 12:29 AM

MyCatSprays

Joined Forum: 04/16/2015

!

Tubes, Boobs, & Doobs!!!

Edited: 10/30/2017 at 11:12 AM by MyCatSprays
 05/17/2017 02:38 AM

bugsbunny

I worked several years with Catri putting together a collection of his personal surfboards and history. No one else had a time was running out. We knew we would meet resistance, ESA, surf museums and people that just did not like him. I get it. I had his blessing to do what I am doing. This is what Catri wanted more than anything. To be recognized for his contribution to surfing. Not his personal life just surfing. To make it clear, It was never about Pete (NA). it was about giving Catri front and center, ONLY, for his impact on surfing. Other than Brewer, Catri might have impacted East cost surfing , on all levels more than anyone. From Propper, Crawford, Tabiling, DCB, to Slater. If Dave is going to run a surfing forum, he needs to know surfing history. If Dave thinks I am being unfair, can me. His forum is better and reaches more people emotionally, when they connect with history. No one else cared enough, to put Catri's legacy together. Dick Brewer came to Shaggs Surf shop and gave Catri a surfboard. We have pictures and the board. Just trying to keep it going.  I was trying to put this together, while he was alive. He wasn't for everyone, the history is. Time ran out. No disrespect for Mr. Dooley, and his impact on surfing. Catri is not a side show.

05/17/2017 03:47 AM

Burry

This should be a GREAT Event!!!

Here is a Beautiful specimen of a Catri Board! You can definitely sea the Dick Brewer Hawaiian influence in its shape. This board is in  The Florida Surf Museum

BurrysBreak

Inflation caused The BIG BANG...look it up!
 05/17/2017 05:04 AM

SURFSMURF

Joined Forum: 07/24/2003

Awesome board burry. I have one just like that except with rounded pin. Same lam and colors too. Really interested in seeing the collection you and Dick put together Bugs. Please let us know when and where it will be on display
 05/17/2017 05:16 AM

Cole

I thought Catri was an all around great guy, at least he seemed that way the few times I met him. I never knew he had so many enemies?

What gives?

Sounds like a story ripe for the writing.

I was right.
 05/17/2017 07:52 AM

johnnyboy

I wish I had one of those old new and improved Aipa stinger looking boards. That large single fin could be pig dogged in a great big hollow tube and give you the memory of your life.

"One of the reasons why propaganda tries to get you to hate government is because it's the one existing institution in which people can participate to some extent and constrain tyrannical unaccountable power." Noam Chomsky.

05/17/2017 08:36 AM

stokedpanda

Joined Forum: 09/04/2015

Originally posted by: MyCatSprays

Yall, lets let Dick just chill. Bugs, thank you. RC: CFLDave a Legend; thats a ztretch!! And CFLDave, since you didnt know either personally and dont know who Bugs is, Id be wary throwing the "troll" term around, but Bugs, RC is correct in one aspect of Dave; he runs this site and will kick you off like hes done to me at least a half dozen times over the past decade!!! RIP Richard Catri

Sounds like Bugs is upset at ESA, and wants everyone to know how much he supported Mr Catri, him bashing everyone while doing so what make him trollish/derailing.

I troll 2L.com to be a better person in real life
 05/17/2017 06:00 PM

pompano

Joined Forum: 01/06/2005

regardless of the high passions of folks that are close to Dick Catri, IMO, one of the greatest influences of surfing around this area, I can only hope the expo is chock full of people that present a great tribute to Dick and Pete. They are both great examples of people that shared full blown surf stoke to this area.  

05/18/2017 12:43 PM

bugsbunny

Burry, That board is in my collection. The bottom has white lightning Bolt on a red bottom. Catri shaped and signed, (very rare) under the glass, maybe 1974. Donnie Mulhern thought Freddy Grosskruetz glassed the board, Bob Keller and did the pin stripe. Thanks, Donnie and Freddy for signing the board. Freddy and Bob were feaks for detail.

Statistics
146495 users are registered to the 2nd Light Forums forum.
There are currently 3 users logged in to the forum.

FuseTalk Basic Edition - © 1999-2024 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.

First there was Air Jordan .