Hey Matt B ... How the hell o are you ??? :)

2nd Light Forums
Decrease font size
Increase font size
Topic Title: Moving to LA, can you point me to surf spots to research
Topic Summary:
Created On: 03/23/2017 07:18 AM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 03/23/2017 07:18 AM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

SgtHulk

Joined Forum: 04/07/2011

Greetings,

After 8 glorious years in FL, on both coasts, Mother Air Force is sending us west to the land libs and hippies ( )  My coastal knoweldge of that area is slim to none, aside from the most popular spots often mentioned here.  As I start my research, would any of you pro's mind guiding my research skills? We are focusing our living location on the redondo beach area as it provides a easy bike ride to work and is west of the 405.  I'm an old man long boarder, so a tame beach break that I can enjoy excites me more than charging with 10K locals wanting to be the next slater.  Any recomendations?  Also to note its been great experience cutting my teeth on the space coast, I always wanted to learn how to surf as a young lad. Thankfully I still have a home in Brevard and will return when its time to hang up the uniform.

TL;DR  name drop some spots for me in the LA area to check out

03/23/2017 07:36 AM

miker

Joined Forum: 04/05/2010

El Porto in Manhattan Beach just south of the jetty and plant.

Caught it really good there on a couple of winter trips to LA
 03/23/2017 09:03 AM

SpinK

Joined Forum: 07/22/2003

Palos Verde

-------------------------
 03/23/2017 10:09 AM

dan

Joined Forum: 07/24/2003

Dude, PV is a tricky place....you gotta ether have a zillion bucks or know someone.  

I worked in Redondo Beach for a year but only surfed that area a couple times, I usually went north or south.  The south bay area is not known for good waves.  That said I did surf Porto once and had fun.  I think you'll find much better waves and people if you go up to the northern breaks in Ventura area or south to northern OC.

03/23/2017 11:00 AM

StirfryMcflurry

Joined Forum: 08/17/2016

Originally posted by: dan   I think you'll find much better waves and people if you go up to the northern breaks in Ventura area or south to northern OC.

IN to say and THIS ^ .   And in N. OC, San Onofre is a known "old man long boarder" spot.

Also - you may be able to catch Malibu on a (perhaps less crowded)  weekday...worth a try!

03/23/2017 11:31 AM

SgtHulk

Originally posted by: dan Dude, PV is a tricky place....you gotta ether have a zillion bucks or know someone.  

I worked in Redondo Beach for a year but only surfed that area a couple times, I usually went north or south.  The south bay area is not known for good waves.  That said I did surf Porto once and had fun.  I think you'll find much better waves and people if you go up to the northern breaks in Ventura area or south to northern OC.

Many thanks yeah I have little to no patience for those assholes there in PV, i dont need to go to jail for drowning some 50 yr old Dbag lol.

03/23/2017 12:47 PM

tpapablo

Joined Forum: 07/25/2003

San O is a bit of a jaunt, but they have a USMC recreation area right there where I presume you can stay. Nice right point break tailor made for long boarders. Often not too crowded by California standards (though a zoo by Florida standards).

I :heart; Q
 03/23/2017 01:39 PM

GreenLantern

Joined Forum: 10/02/2007

Unless recently changed, San Onofre isn't quite what it used to be,
due to storm damage.

Not as accessible due to damage and no parking at the top.
You can get down to the first point but beyond that is questionable.

Not sure how the USMC recreation area fared,
but a few quick phone calls you should be able to get an update.
 03/23/2017 02:22 PM

GretschSrfr

Joined Forum: 03/23/2017

I'm a noob on the forums but have following it for several years now.  Just chiming in on the subject. 

There are alot of great places in LA to surf. I grew up and lived there (Gardena and Long Beach) in the 70's-90's.

For a W/NW swell (usually fall - winter) the south bay (LA Co Beaches) can get good from El Porto down to Redondo beach. PV blocks the swells from the south unless it is very big. Palos Verdes is very localized so watch out.  

North OC Huntington Beach Pier, Newport Beach can pick up swells from the N, NW, W, SW, S.  basically almost from all directions, depending on the break. But is much better with swells coming from the South (usually summer). Look for big hurricanes off Mexico and you know that almost everywhere in OC will be breaking big.   In others words, there will always be a place to surf 5-30 minutes away depending on where you live or work.  BTW,  2-3ft is considered flat and in So cal.  The fun size is 4-8ft  long period swells.  Anything bigger usually, but not always (unless is has northerly component), closes out in El Porto, Manhattan, Hermosa, Redondo. In this case I would head 20 minutes South into Huntington or Newport.

There can be alot of agros in the water but if you mind your own business and stay out of thier way, then you should be ok. Watch out also for the bodyboard only spots.

BTW,  full suits in the fall, winter, and early spring, shorties/farmer john/trunks in the summer. 

You'll love Redondo Beach.

Edited: 03/23/2017 at 03:03 PM by GretschSrfr
 03/23/2017 07:13 PM

paddleout

Joined Forum: 07/31/2003

IMO

San Onofre area is more fun than the LA area- but its a drive.

If in LA- El Porto is probably your best bet.
 03/23/2017 08:29 PM

miker

Joined Forum: 04/05/2010

Yes, the obvious is to drive south. Porto crowd was mellow and most disappear when it gets big, even if it isn't closing out. Huntington Beach Pier is overrated and crowded, I wouldn't even bother. San O is worth the Drive.... old mans, the point, church, cottons, lowers, middles, uppers, etc. all walkable from one another. Well walkable for a Florida surfer used to drift sessions and long walks back.

Coming in from trestles side... park on street or failing that the lot. Get there way before sun up for a street spot. Bike rack on the car so you can ride that down and back up after surfing... failing that, skateboard down and walk back after. From San O side, barring the aforementioned storm damage. Lots of parking but it will fill up fast. Line forms outside gate on weekends well before dawn. Bring your breakfast and a book on your iPad/kindle and get there early.
 03/24/2017 06:25 AM

Greensleeves

Old longboarders love C Street and North (Pitas, Rincon, and so on) as well.  Far for a weekday but an awesome and beautiful weekend day trip. 

03/24/2017 07:02 AM

stokedpanda

Joined Forum: 09/04/2015

Between huntington and newport is Santa Anna river mouth. I always surf there because when small it is wedgy sandbars like New Smyrna and when big it can get really hollow.

Best part is it was NEVER crowded, something about some bacteria that flows out there river bs....didnt stop me! LOL

I troll 2L.com to be a better person in real life
 03/24/2017 07:09 AM

SgtHulk

Originally posted by: GretschSrfr I'm a noob on the forums but have following it for several years now.  Just chiming in on the subject. 

There are alot of great places in LA to surf. I grew up and lived there (Gardena and Long Beach) in the 70's-90's.

For a W/NW swell (usually fall - winter) the south bay (LA Co Beaches) can get good from El Porto down to Redondo beach. PV blocks the swells from the south unless it is very big. Palos Verdes is very localized so watch out.  

North OC Huntington Beach Pier, Newport Beach can pick up swells from the N, NW, W, SW, S.  basically almost from all directions, depending on the break. But is much better with swells coming from the South (usually summer). Look for big hurricanes off Mexico and you know that almost everywhere in OC will be breaking big.   In others words, there will always be a place to surf 5-30 minutes away depending on where you live or work.  BTW,  2-3ft is considered flat and in So cal.  The fun size is 4-8ft  long period swells.  Anything bigger usually, but not always (unless is has northerly component), closes out in El Porto, Manhattan, Hermosa, Redondo. In this case I would head 20 minutes South into Huntington or Newport.

There can be alot of agros in the water but if you mind your own business and stay out of thier way, then you should be ok. Watch out also for the bodyboard only spots.

BTW,  full suits in the fall, winter, and early spring, shorties/farmer john/trunks in the summer. 

You'll love Redondo Beach.

great information gives me a great starting point to start my google ventures.  Thank you everyone thus far for the info.  The year round wet suit will take some getting used to.  but surf to me is surf, and I love it.

03/24/2017 09:34 AM

artz

Joined Forum: 10/30/2014

I take it that you are active duty military.  If so Then you can get on to a couple of beaches that are not up to a lot of people. One to the North is point Mugu Navy Base. Another beach is south of you on Camp Pendleton USMC. They have a recreation beach just north of the Oceanside harbor. There are some trailors you can rent.  Gets good on a south, southwest swell.  I have surfed there as a guest. Nice left and right beach break. Fun waves. There is spot just north of that, off a canyon that I have heard gets good again open to military only. You can see a few campers on the beach from I 5 freeway. Camp Pendelton might bea good place to go fora weekend.  I have never surfed the LA area much. Can't help you there except to say you must surf Malibu.  It's azoo but what a wave an all time classic.                                                Check around for Military recreation beaches.  Coronado gets some good surf and the North Beach by the Navy airfield does get good There isa Golf course by the beach.  Also on Camp Pendleton you can park right in from of Chruch.  Chruch is a very good river mouth point for longboards.  I'm pretty sure the Marines also rent Trailors there.  Anybody can walk in Chruch so it can get a crowd. But what a fun fun wave.  You will also be very close to lower Trestles.  between Chruch and Lowers is middles an often over looked wave. that can get good much less packed the Lowers.  

03/24/2017 09:44 AM

Greensleeves

Wait active duty?  What artz said about Pt. Mugu!  Lived there and surfed there for years.  One of the best breaks in CA that no one really talks about.  

Starting at 2:45 on this video is Kelly surfing the base, Pelican Point, Radars or whatever you want to call it.  Not sure I will ever get barrelled in the rest of my life like I got barrelled there.  

https://vimeo.com/155071282

Warning:  I've seen some pretty hideous accidents there.  Be really ready.

03/24/2017 06:30 PM

SurferMic

Joined Forum: 06/30/2012

Edited: 03/25/2017 at 07:01 PM by SurferMic
 03/27/2017 02:43 PM

SgtHulk

Originally posted by: artz I take it that you are active duty military.  If so Then you can get on to a couple of beaches that are not up to a lot of people. One to the North is point Mugu Navy Base. Another beach is south of you on Camp Pendleton USMC. They have a recreation beach just north of the Oceanside harbor. There are some trailors you can rent.  Gets good on a south, southwest swell.  I have surfed there as a guest. Nice left and right beach break. Fun waves. There is spot just north of that, off a canyon that I have heard gets good again open to military only. You can see a few campers on the beach from I 5 freeway. Camp Pendelton might bea good place to go fora weekend.  I have never surfed the LA area much. Can't help you there except to say you must surf Malibu.  It's azoo but what a wave an all time classic.                                                Check around for Military recreation beaches.  Coronado gets some good surf and the North Beach by the Navy airfield does get good There isa Golf course by the beach.  Also on Camp Pendleton you can park right in from of Chruch.  Chruch is a very good river mouth point for longboards.  I'm pretty sure the Marines also rent Trailors there.  Anybody can walk in Chruch so it can get a crowd. But what a fun fun wave.  You will also be very close to lower Trestles.  between Chruch and Lowers is middles an often over looked wave. that can get good much less packed the Lowers.  

many thanks!!!!!!!!!!!!!  i'll check them out for sure. 

Statistics
146499 users are registered to the 2nd Light Forums forum.
There are currently 2 users logged in to the forum.

FuseTalk Basic Edition - © 1999-2024 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.

First there was Air Jordan .