Hey Matt B ... How the hell o are you ??? :)

2nd Light Forums
Decrease font size
Increase font size
Topic Title: Need Help On Question About Flying To Ixtapa Zihuatanejo With Longboards
Topic Summary:
Created On: 02/23/2017 05:44 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 02/23/2017 05:44 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

surfcheck

Joined Forum: 09/23/2004

Can anyone recommend an airline. Looking to depart out of MCO to Ixtapa Zihuatanejo. It looks like the airlines, United for example, use a smaller aircraft, an Embraer ERJ-175 on the last leg of the flight from Mexico City to Ixtapa Zihuatanejo, what United refers to as United Express which have an 80 inch limit board limits. Any suggestions on other airlines would be appreciated.
 02/23/2017 06:44 PM

dingpatch

Joined Forum: 07/24/2003

IF, I remember the planning efforts for a trip that never came to be, , , , ,

Just about every single "hop" from Mexico City is on a puddle jumper. And, just about every other flight in from other than Mexico City is on a "commuter" also.

There appears to be a couple flights from California that fly into Ixtapa Zihuatanejo on full sized aircraft

-------------------------
Dora Hates You
 02/23/2017 08:57 PM

dtorrent

Joined Forum: 08/08/2003

Yes, pretty much the only way to fly a Boeing or Airbus into ZIH is to take the Alaskan Air flight from LAX to ZIH. Even the flights that don't go through Mexico City (ex. United MCO-HOU-ZIH) use an Embraer for the second leg of the flight. So...fly out to LAX, surf Malibu for a day or two, then head to Mexico!

-------------------------
"Careful, it can change everything."
 02/24/2017 07:32 AM

surfcheck

Yes there are and that looks like the only route. Most likely requires a 24 hour layover in LA too. Thanks dingpatch.
 02/24/2017 07:34 AM

surfcheck

Yes I saw those. That layover in LA is a major detterent. Thanks for the feedback dtorrent.
 02/24/2017 10:34 AM

artz

Joined Forum: 10/30/2014

If you can get to The Tijana Airport they have a lot of direct flights to Ixtapa. Good airport to fly outof there is now a direct boarder crossing to the airport.  Fly from here to San Diego get a taxi to the boarder crossing, catch a flight south out of TJ airport.  i did this a few time and never had a problem. When I lived in Encinitas I would Drove my Toyota Pickup down and parked in secure parking at the Airport. Tell them when you are flying back and they hand wash your car while you wait for your luggage.  Flights at that time were cheaper then flying out of San Diego. It was easy getting to Cabo, Puerto Vallarta, Mazatlan.  and other surf locations in Mexico. 

02/24/2017 11:25 AM

surfersensei

Joined Forum: 12/02/2003

I have heard that more board rentals are available in the area than before. Corky Carroll's place in Saladita is worth looking into. Google troncones- I believe there are some rentals there.
 02/25/2017 11:08 AM

surfcheck

Thanks for the heads up on the TJ airport artz. I'm probably going to go back to Punta De Mita. Super easy, went there 1/15. Delta to Atlanta then on to Puerto Vallarta. A 30 minute drive from the airport and a great, inexpensive place to stay at Villas Las Olas. Delta has flights from MCO to PVR for $453 round trip. Their MCO to SAN flights start at $576.
 02/25/2017 11:12 AM

surfcheck

Thanks for responding surfersensei. Yes there are rentals unfortunately I'm one of those guys who doesn't want a strange board under his feet. The rates Corky charges to stay at his place boards should be comped.
Statistics
146497 users are registered to the 2nd Light Forums forum.
There are currently 1 users logged in to the forum.

FuseTalk Basic Edition - © 1999-2024 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.

First there was Air Jordan .