Hey Matt B ... How the hell o are you ??? :)

2nd Light Forums
Decrease font size
Increase font size
Topic Title: The Inlet making the news again
Topic Summary: Aggression continues at SI, but not surfers this time
Created On: 02/21/2017 11:48 AM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 02/21/2017 11:48 AM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Keith

Joined Forum: 07/28/2003

I know this isn't strictly surf related, but thought I'd share this article I read today about the problems at SI...
http://www.floridatoday.com/st...ngry-anglers/98044914/

-------------------------
"Surf everyday as though it were a gift!" -- John Holeman
 02/21/2017 02:40 PM

sfds

Joined Forum: 06/25/2007

I didnt know there was a pier at Sebastian.

02/21/2017 04:42 PM

dingpatch

Joined Forum: 07/24/2003

Always has been that way. At midnight, during a snook run, you had better mind your P's & Q's.

Dora Hates You
 02/21/2017 06:24 PM

pompano

Joined Forum: 01/06/2005

sigh, the ever popular storyline for floriduh lately,

"There is no doubt about it's an escalating problem that we've seen over the last two years. It's the sheer number of people and a deteriorating respect for the environment," he said of the poor treatment of pier property.

02/22/2017 05:51 AM

cheaterfiveo

Joined Forum: 08/29/2013

Its a hoot trying to come in from offshore and getting chucked at by SoFlo's who think the channel is for fishing not ingress egress. Keep the gate up like it is.
 02/22/2017 06:26 AM

Keith

Joined Forum: 07/28/2003

Originally posted by: cheaterfiveo Its a hoot trying to come in from offshore and getting chucked at by SoFlo's who think the channel is for fishing not ingress egress. Keep the gate up like it is.

So are they doing this on purpose, or just casting out and being oblivious to the boat traffic?

"Surf everyday as though it were a gift!" -- John Holeman
 02/22/2017 08:07 AM

surftech

Joined Forum: 07/25/2003

Fisherman against the surfers. Fishermen against the boaters. Let's see. Who is the problem here. Maybe they should ban the ones who are causing the problems.
 02/22/2017 08:53 AM

PUNCH22

Joined Forum: 05/22/2011

At Sebastian Inlet fishing pier, lines often cross. And tangled tackle ticks off fishermen so much, they often revert to territorial tactics, casting aspersions and sometimes other things at their angling adversaries, inlet officials and fishermen say. They hurl lead fishing weights, lures and other objects at folks fishing from boats. Or sometimes boaters are the primary aggressors. 

Did Dr. Seuss write this? Way too much alliteration. 

02/22/2017 08:56 AM

Cole

Joined Forum: 07/22/2003

August. 1:00 AM. South side. West of the bridge. All snook and no people.

I was right.
 02/22/2017 08:59 AM

ClaimingDFL

Joined Forum: 01/18/2004

It's a shame that it has escalated to a point where 24/7 security is seen as the only option (if the jetty is to remain open). To keep it surf related, I was at the inlet one day during the week between Christmas and New Years and saw first hand Johnny Oed take a triangle sinker to the head. It was hucked by some lady who was part of the holiday circus on the jetty. Don't think she tried to hit him on purpose, but it certainly illustrates the danger when the jetty gets packed. Johnny ended up with a handful of staples in his head and was ultimately told by FWC that he was surfing too close to the jetty.
 02/22/2017 09:10 AM

stokedpanda

Joined Forum: 09/04/2015

Originally posted by: ClaimingDFL

It's a shame that it has escalated to a point where 24/7 security is seen as the only option (if the jetty is to remain open). To keep it surf related, I was at the inlet one day during the week between Christmas and New Years and saw first hand Johnny Oed take a triangle sinker to the head. It was hucked by some lady who was part of the holiday circus on the jetty. Don't think she tried to hit him on purpose, but it certainly illustrates the danger when the jetty gets packed. Johnny ended up with a handful of staples in his head and was ultimately told by FWC that he was surfing too close to the jetty.

I used to cut lines at Jax beach pier if they threw close to me and paddle in with "my end" go to beach and throw in the trash....good times!

I troll 2L.com to be a better person in real life
 02/22/2017 09:17 AM

skatensurf

Joined Forum: 09/28/2006

Originally posted by: stokedpanda

Originally posted by: ClaimingDFL

I used to cut lines at Jax beach pier if they threw close to me and paddle in with "my end" go to beach and throw in the trash....good times!

I hippy jumped a fishing line at the jax beach pier once, but i was wearing a leash so i got snagged when my leash hit the line. felt pretty suave for a second or two though.
 02/22/2017 09:42 AM

3rdworldlover

Joined Forum: 07/25/2003

Grumpy jetty rats, lol
 02/22/2017 05:59 PM

RegularJoe

Joined Forum: 11/20/2011

Originally posted by: dingpatch

Always has been that way. At midnight, during a snook run, you had better mind your P's & Q's.

Yeah, the boat traffic in that snook run looks like a hot Nascar lap around the oval. Boats do get fairly close to the jetty, and lines collide often.

Sounds like it's really just fishermen against fishermen (land-based vs. water), with pier-people viewing boat people kinda like paddle surfers view SUPs in a crowded lineup on a 2' groundswell day.

Boaters should maintain a reasonable distance from the jetty. But anyone smearing poop on the jetty rails needs a good, old-fashioned beat-down before being sent to a mental home.

Keep Florida weird, Keep the 'tard in Bretard...
Statistics
146497 users are registered to the 2nd Light Forums forum.
There are currently 1 users logged in to the forum.

FuseTalk Basic Edition - © 1999-2024 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.

First there was Air Jordan .