Hey Matt B ... How the hell o are you ??? :)

2nd Light Forums
Decrease font size
Increase font size
Topic Title: The Real Solution To First Peak
Topic Summary:
Created On: 02/02/2017 10:10 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
<< 1 2 3 Previous Next Last unread
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 02/08/2017 05:43 AM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

CERTON

Joined Forum: 04/22/2011

@TheFirstPeakProject
Good luck at the science fair, we all want you to win.

-------------------------
"Don't count the days, make the days count." -Ali
#rydyrstrong
 02/08/2017 06:19 AM

tom

Joined Forum: 07/25/2003

Ok Tim, I'll bite even though I'm not associated with FPP;

and, IMHO, poor chance of recreated first peak, even if you wanted to.

So, second prize, a surfing (no fishing!) pier at the N end of SI park.

1.  1000' concrete pile pier, set off the beach, so no access from shore

2.  ~$4.5M 

3.  ~4-5 yrs including permitting*

notes: 

a.  would act as a fish attracter (structure) so would improve fishing

b.  wouldn't cause unwanted erosion as it's on the accretion side of the jetty 

c.  could pay for itself in <10 years by increasing entry fee about $1 a head

*environmental in only 4-5yrs? YMMV haha!

add a signature since I'm here in profile anyway
 02/08/2017 07:38 AM

dingpatch

Joined Forum: 07/24/2003

Actually, there is a better chance that Cindy Crawford would bed me.

Dora Hates You
 02/08/2017 08:26 AM

tom

Joined Forum: 07/25/2003

You Old Dog!

Get me an autograph?

add a signature since I'm here in profile anyway
 02/08/2017 09:25 AM

jwieland

Joined Forum: 05/21/2009

I don't understand what the big secret is with the First Peak Project. Everytime someone asks, they don't get a straight answer. There should be drawings, papers, modeling, videos, etc about exactly what you're going to do, why it'll help, and how much you need. The more information you give, the more people will get behind you and possibly donate. 

From what I gather it's putting something between the pilings to let the worm rock grow to fill the gaps.  But why not just say that? 

They joke about putting plywood up there with tapcons but some test phase like that may need to be done to see if it works at all and if it's worth it to try. 

I just don't get the reason for all the guessing and secrecy about it.  

WPTV NewsChannel5/Fox 29
Meteorologist/Surf Forecaster
Environmental Reporter
Palm Beach County, Florida

Snapchat: Surfnweatherman
http://instagram.com/surfnweatherman

https://twitter.com/SurfnWeatherman
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Surfin-Weatherman/

02/08/2017 10:05 AM

RegularJoe

Joined Forum: 11/20/2011

jweiland -- exactly. FPP's response is not the kind of thing that fosters serious interest. I didn't scour their website or past 63 posts, but getting directly to the science without all the layers would really help. A quick scan of both led me nowhere.

iirc, the guys proposing the artificial reef off Cocoa Beach at least had drawings and links to some studies.

Dingpatch: maybe you should set your sights on Cindy Crawdad.
 02/08/2017 05:05 PM

frothing321

Joined Forum: 01/29/2017

I agree with everyone who is doubting FPP due to their lack of upfrontness and lack of answers. If you had a video of some engineers with doctorate degrees who could explain how to fix the jetty and what exactly needed to be done, and set up a gofundme page, you would probably raise the money needed. Just think, if 50,000 people donated 5 dollars. But we're not even asking for that much of an explanation FPP. It seems as if these guys don't know the real answer, which is ok. Some people on here think the jetty is unfixable and the wave will never come back. If thats the case should we support building a different jetty somewhere else, like the one in cocoa? Or maybe raise funds to lobby the gorvernment to fix the jetty and say its for tourism and surfing? Everyone keep replying. Good discussion. 

02/08/2017 09:14 PM

GREG

Joined Forum: 08/20/2003

I would like to see the sand that the ACOE plans to dump for the next 50 years be strategically placed to create a temporary point break (most likely a left), and then let the erosion send it south (where it usually heads). That can prevent burial of our current worm reefs, and lessen the truck traffic. Yes, it involves a study, but is something locals can do, and build a 'gofundme' to pay for the engineers that have to write the proposal to appease the county and city officials, and great minds to convince the condo owners to eventually take out their private walkways and seawalls. Because over time, nature wins, no matter how much money we throw at the problem.

I have comprehensive letters on the CRsurf website in a public directory, but no links on the main site. Just do a search for 'dredge'. I've posted links in other beach dredge and fill posts on 2nd Light, too.

http://www.crsurf.com ~ CR Surf Travel Company

http://www.vacationsbygreg.com
Instagram - @crsurf

02/08/2017 09:41 PM

TheFirstPeakProject

Joined Forum: 01/12/2016

Originally posted by: GREG I would like to see the sand that the ACOE plans to dump for the next 50 years be strategically placed to create a temporary point break (most likely a left), and then let the erosion send it south (where it usually heads).

One of our technology partners out of the Netherlands has completed the construction of points breaks using beach nourishment.  Using dredged sand, they successfully built left and right point breaks in the Netherlands and in Australia.  See the link to Surf Reefs on our partnerships page.

Partnerships

The First Peak Project is a 501(c)(3) public benefit organization whose mission is to restore the legendary wave First Peak at Sebastian Inlet to its former glory. 

www.firstpeak.org

02/09/2017 07:27 AM

TheFirstPeakProject

Originally posted by: jwieland I don't understand what the big secret is with the First Peak Project. Everytime someone asks, they don't get a straight answer. There should be drawings, papers, modeling, videos, etc 

jwieland et al. You are correct about all these things.  Drawings, Papers, Modeling, Videos, etc.  All of this needs to be completed.  However, all of this work requires a tremendous amount of resources.  Where are these resources going to come from?  Who is going to fund all of this work?

It appears that we are at a standstill.  The FPP cannot move forward without resources, including working capital.  The public (represented by the 2nd-light forum in this case) refuses to support or donate to the project without sound technical engineering and hard data.  How do we move forward?

In 2008, Brevard Country Department of Natural Resources shelled out $90,000 to complete a feasibility study of an artificial surfing reef.  This money was provided due to "significant community interest," as stated on the Brevard County Website for that project.  The result was that the $6,000,000+ construction cost rendered the surfing reef uneconomically viable.  There was also a host of other technical problems with the design, and with the subsequent failures of the artificial reefs in Boscombe UK, and Kerala Indian, we at the FPP are thanking our lucky stars that the county did not move forward with that project. (Even back then we were lobbying to fix FP instead of building a reef, but that's another story).

Back to the FPP at present.  In our previously ill-received remark about the plywood we were brash.  We sincerely apologize to everyone on 2nd-Light.  We were embellishing, may be a little too much, but we were embellishing to make a point.  The technical solution is to fill the gaps between the pilings to allow the worm reef to close the gaps, whereby forming a "living wall" of sorts.  This may be accomplished in many ways.  Google anything along the lines of "concrete pile restoration" or "piling jackets" and you will see many technical options.  The point being: there are many technical solutions.  Nevertheless, at this phase of the project, we do not believe that the technical solution should be the focus of our efforts.  Right now, we are focusing on community outreach and raising awareness.  The next step would be fundraising to complete a study. Finally, a sound cost-effective technical solution can be developed. 

Notwithstanding, everyone needs to keep this in mind regarding any technical solution. To install any such option, we need a series of permits from the USACE, NOAA Fisheries, Fish & Wildlife, DOT, and of course unanimous support from the Sebastian Inlet Tax District commissioners.  Therefore, we cannot propose a technical solution without prior involvement and feedback from all stakeholders. For us to propose hard solutions at this phase in the project, it would not be fair to the management groups who are ultimately responsible for allowing the project to move forward. Furthermore, we do not want to follow in the footsteps of the artificial surfing reef fiasco.

As we've stated many times on our website (throughout the blogs), the concept of growing the living wall to increase reflection also has the effect of improving natural sand bypassing. We've seen evidence of this in both UASCE sediment models and in physical models of idealized inlet systems studied at the USACE CIRP headquarters.  We would love more than anything to run dedicated physical models and numerical models of First Peak, but there is a significant cost associated with both. Who is going to pay for these studies.  Public donations?  Private funding?  Maybe public interests will motivate the county as was done in 2008?

Regarding our persistent inclusion of the worm reef in our solution, it should be duly noted that worm reef has been studied in Florida regarding its burial tolerance to beach nourishment projects. At Sebastian Inlet, there is a significant positive response of the worm reef to a man-made structure.  In light of the needs to mitigate against the damages done by contemporary coastal engineering practices, we believe that the worm reef's affinity for the pilings on the north side of the jetty should a topic of ongoing coastal research, regardless of whether or not First Peak is restored.  We've been monitoring the worm reef's annual population cycles since 2009.  Someday we hope to finance a study regarding the worm reef.

We appreciate the comments from CERTON, frothing321, jwieland and others who seem genuinely interested and concerned that the FPP is a real organization. More than anything, the FPP would like to maintain a mature and dedicated conversation geared towards building public confidence and support of our project.  However, just as members of this forum are having a hard time discerning the credibility and authenticity of the FPP, this forum is full of what many are calling "trolls."  It is very easy for these conversations to become quickly derailed and we at the FPP are having a hard time figuring out who on this website is interested or who is merely exercising their right to be a pundit.

The only solace we can provide is that we are a very legitimate organization and we have formed very legitimate partnerships with exceptional organizations in the disciplines of surf research, surf pools, and numerical modeling (see our "partnerships" web page).  If anyone is sincerely interested in learning more, we cordially invite you to reach out to us.  Many people have and they are quickly learning that this is a very real opportunity.

Again, apologies to anyone on this forum who may feel sold short with some of our punitive comments in the past. We look forward to building a strong network of surfers in the community with the common goal of restoring First Peak and we look forward to teaming up. To those trolls out there derailing the conversations...you're not helping your fellow peers or First Peak in any wave, shape or form.

The First Peak Project is a 501(c)(3) public benefit organization whose mission is to restore the legendary wave First Peak at Sebastian Inlet to its former glory. 

www.firstpeak.org

Edited: 02/09/2017 at 07:39 AM by TheFirstPeakProject
 02/09/2017 02:38 PM

ClaimingDFL

Joined Forum: 01/18/2004

Glad to see the FPM folks provides a little more detail. The concept seems logical. I was down at the inlet during the swell in December where things were (almost) working right. Seems like the worm rock is about as dense on the new pilings as it's ever been since the new jetty construction was completed and was providing a good bounce. Will be interesting to see if it hangs in there or will recede going into summer as FPP has suggested it may.
 02/10/2017 06:45 PM

frothing321

FPP,

Thank you for your informative, genuine and professional response. I knew when I first viewed your website that you were an originazation of very intelligent individuals who truly cared about retoring first peak. With your response- I have cast all doubts about your character and now I do believe your orginization is the best route to restoring first peak. 

"Right now, we are focusing on community outreach and raising awareness.  The next step would be fundraising to complete a study. Finally, a sound cost-effective technical solution can be developed."

I think a forum like this is the perfect start to some serious community outreach. Im am very glad this thread has gotten to this point, and now we can refocus our discussion from "is FPP a legitamite orginazation" (we know that they are, and like the thousands of people who want to restore this wave, we all share the same vision) to how do we create community awarness and build up support for the orginization financially. If 2ndlight users could come together with ideas to raise awarness, I think it would be a huge help in completing your first goal as a non-profit.

Personally, I think social media is a huge platform for awarness. If FPP could create more videos, posts or articles that clearly outline their goals and ask for financial support that would be a good place to start. 

I also think us 2ndlight members and FPP should organize an open discussion night where members of the community can meet together and talk face to face about the challenges of this goal.

Getting local government involved may not be the most favorite course of action for some people but it is ultimately somthing that has to be done. Maybe memebers of FPP and the surf community could attend a local town hall meeting or county commision meeting and bring up the topic of restoring first peak.

The internet is a powerful tool and I would love to help FPP in any way I can. Through social media as well as informing the community at local surf contests/ events/ other social gatherings our vision as a community will grow.

I would like to open up the discussion to the rest of 2ndlight. How can First Peak Project raise awarness within our community?

Pro surfers backing the non-profit? The WSL? Community events? Videos? Gofundme? Surf contests?

Lets all work out the kinks and get on the same page. We all want the same thing.

-Frothing321

02/20/2017 08:10 PM

ww

Joined Forum: 08/17/2007

Now, Reanimating First Peak at Surfline.  

Worms. 

02/20/2017 09:18 PM

RegularJoe

Originally posted by: ww

Now, Reanimating First Peak at Surfline.">http://www.surfline.com/surf-n...145481/">Surfline.  

Well said!
 02/20/2017 09:54 PM

ww

Joined Forum: 08/17/2007

Science this week presents new research showing seagrass meadows "can cut concentrations of harmful bacteria in half." 

Oysters eat plankton that clouds the water.  Good reason to create new oyster reefs.  

In that context, gently encouraging a worm reef to grow on the Inlet pilings is not a wild idea.  

02/21/2017 05:42 AM

dingpatch

Joined Forum: 07/24/2003

The real solution is to get a grip, and get over it. She's gone. Only some of us old guys got to ride the Prom Queen.

Dora Hates You
 02/21/2017 07:17 AM

SurferMic

Joined Forum: 06/30/2012

Seems simple, new design lets much less sand through, more sand is being added updtream, the new design will never let the sand through, 1st peak is done, over! unless you remove the sand from the beach through kiddie pool and out to the end.  It wil fiil back in but will refract during that time.  rinse / repeat.  Good luck getting $$$ and permits to DREDGE, maybe they would actually allow it to promote surfing & Pro Contest / tourism.  I would pay extra for constant state of dredging to get the peak back

02/23/2017 08:08 PM

TheFirstPeakProject

In light of the Surfline article, we wanted to share a little more insight with the 2nd light crew.

It is true that the FPP is not publicizing any specific solutions.  The reason for this is clear.  Sebastian Inlet has a team of consultants and engineers, incredible engineers at that, who actively maintain the inlet year after year.  

Our goal is to partner with these groups to collectively create a solution that satisfy's everyone's goals.  We want to 1. Restore the reflection 2. Incorporate Natural Sand Bypassing into the solution and 3. Design an eco-friendly solution that enhances the biological recruitment of the jetty.

Also, the solution must not introduce additional scour.  It must be structurally sound and affordable.  And we also want a solution that is both adjustable and removable, whereby having 100% contingency. 

As the Surfline article states, Neptune Research, Inc. in West Palm Beach Florida manufactures carbon fiber wraps to restore 18" pilings for the Florida DOT.  Wrapping the base of the pilings with carbon fiber is a viable solution but is by no means the selected solution.  With everyone's collective experience on this forum, we're keen to exploring any and all ideas that match our design criteria. If someone has experience in the bridge or piling restoration field, please share with us success stories and photos of your solutions.  There's a great example of restored bridge piles when you drive along Melbourne Ave under the US1 bridge.

The 2nd light crew and local surfers are also a part of the Sebastian Inlet Stakeholder group.  Therefore we look forward to any and all feedback.

Here's a blueprint cross section from the permitted documents during the 2001-2003 north jetty renovation.

The next photo is a partial 3D rendering of the cross section.  The unique structure of the north jetty makes it possible to easily attached to the pilings. This is what makes this project so low impact, practical, affordable and unique.

www.firstpeak.org

02/23/2017 08:21 PM

RegularJoe

02/27/2017 07:23 PM

frothing321

I enjoyed the surfline article about firstpeakproject - http://www.surfline.com/surf-news/reanimating-first-peak_145481/

I want to re-open discussion on this topic and want to personally say I support the First Peak Project organization. The article above gave me further confidence in their motives and I would like to see more advancement in the end goal of bringing first peak back.

I surfed first peak this afternoon. Wind was SE and the waves were pumping. quite a few good ones but a bit wonky. As I surfed today I couldnt help but think, what if the waves were refracting off the jetty more and creating a more defined right wedge. I even jokingly told my friend, "lets just drill some plywood panels onto the jetty, that will fix it".

On a serious note, I support restoring the wedge by promoting the growth of more worm reef. When I think about it, it seems so simple. Simpler than any construction project like filling the jetty with concrete or jokingly installing wooden panels. A worm reef is natural and allows the jetty to breath so it doesnt fracture. It makes sense and it is the solution. I remember walking underneath the inlet jetty as a kid, and I have first hand seen the amount of worm reef that has dissapeared.

This post has created a lot of discussion and shed some light on this topic. I want this post to continue to do so. I hope that anyone who is convinced that Firstpeakproject is a worthy orginization sees their value and donates, as well as shares their opinion and makes their voice heard.

I also hope that FPP will keep an open line of communication with the secondlight and surfing community and answer any questions.

I would like to see an advancement in FPP's funding and I look at the organization as any other business. It needs consumer awareness and funding. People need to be informed on the issue and that will encourage them to donate to the cause.

My personal suggestions would include FPP to set up a gofundme page. Different from their current donation page (which includes paypal), gofundme is great in multiple aspects. It allows users to see how much has been donated and includes a visual bar that reflects how close someone is to the financial goal. This inspires donors to see a real goal in real time and makes them want to donate, even if just a little, to ultimately see that goal reached. Gofundme also has a bio/text area. I would like to see FPP outline a specific, first goal (as in, their first goal, the thing they will do first with XX amount of money). This will create a clear picture of where peoples money is going to. Creating a global campaign to bring the inlet wedge back will create a large number of small donations that will bring in a lot of revenue. If FPP first goal is to create awarness and inform people about the issue, than simply state that in your gofundme first fundraising goals. Maybe someone has a better idea, but I think gofundme is a great option.

The internet is a powerful tool that we need to harness. Just like kickstarter campaigns for different companies, its all about awarness that nets small donations from a large number of people all over the world. This is a great first goal, and FPP is already doing a great job creating awareness on the issue, as seen with their well designed website, and articles including the recent surfline edition.

I want to strongly encourage members of secondlight to share their opinions on what they think of FPP and ultimately how they can build their support base and raise money. What kind of things would you like to see from First Peak Project? Do you support them and do you support restoring first peak? What scientific findings about first peak do you agree or disagree with? What is the best course of action for firstpeakproject to raise money?

I put some thought into this and earnestly await a response by FPP themselves. I would also like to directly get in contact with the founders of FPP. I want to help you guys with whatever I can and I think my knowledge of social media and marketing could be beneficial to the organization.

Lets keep the conversation fresh and keep it going.

Sincerely, 

Frothing321

FORUMS : Surfing : The Real Solution To First Peak

<< 1 2 3 Previous Next Last unread
Topic Tools Topic Tools
Statistics
146495 users are registered to the 2nd Light Forums forum.
There are currently 0 users logged in to the forum.

FuseTalk Basic Edition - © 1999-2024 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.

First there was Air Jordan .