Hey Matt B ... How the hell o are you ??? :)

2nd Light Forums
Decrease font size
Increase font size
Topic Title: fl surfer dies in rincon
Topic Summary:
Created On: 01/17/2017 01:24 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
1 2 Next Last unread
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 01/17/2017 01:24 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

chopola

Joined Forum: 09/04/2004

I saw 5 guys paddle out at domes and one of them get pulled around the point and come in below the light house. it was like 8 feet and stormy. He made it in with out injury. Doesn't look like this guy was as lucky http://www.sun-sentinel.com/ne...co-20170116-story.html
 01/17/2017 01:49 PM
User is online View Users Profile Print this message

Central Floridave

Joined Forum: 07/22/2003

bummer:

39-year-old surfer from Florida has drowned in Puerto Rico amid rough seas.

Police say Michael Wallace Wright was surfing in the western town of Rincon on Sunday when his leash broke and he was swept away by a current. Authorities say his brother, who is also a surfer, saw what happened and alerted police.

Officials say they did not know the hometown of the victim. Authorities had warned of high surf over the weekend.
 01/17/2017 01:50 PM

Joined Forum: 01/26/2005

I looked at it on the day it started to build in. Stormy, drifty, grey...no way. Nobody was out north of Tres. Think most people were at the marina. Having not surfed a lot of critical waves and size lately, part of me was relieved... All it takes is one bad fall. With that said, I have had a pretty epic day out at Domes with one or two other guys during a building swell. Mother Ocean will let you know who is boss down there.

RIP and Peace with the Family.

edit: I wonder what they mean by swept away by a current? Assuming he was still conscious when the leash broke, there's usually time and a way to get to safety, unless you're out on the monsters...but maybe I'm wrong.

-------------------------

If you're not part of the solution, you're part of the precipitate.
 01/17/2017 03:19 PM

Postal-Alien

Joined Forum: 09/27/2006

RIP my fella wave rider... If I'm not mistaken, that's 3years in a row that a surfer/swimmer died in Rincon.. Not a place to mess with.. Know your limits..

Riding waves is THERAPHY!!
 01/17/2017 05:13 PM

freesurfs

Joined Forum: 07/24/2003

That's terrible news!
Those strong ne winds can create some serious drift as the swell rips around the Domes area. I've been caught up in it before. Marias a lil more protected.
Can be challenging for experienced surfers who are also strong swimmers.
Very sad for the drowned surfer and for his family and friends. RIP and God bless.
Solid 7-9ft Mon at Wilderness with lotsa drift.
Strong ne winds again today at Surfers (just 5-7), but only drifty on the inside paddle out, but still saw a couple weak paddlers get immediately swept down from the main parking area before they made it to the inside reforms.
They got washed up over that nasty reef trying to come in.

... positioning and selection
 01/17/2017 06:05 PM

LargeMike

Joined Forum: 06/22/2012

R.I.P Mikey

Love to all of the Wright family!

01/18/2017 04:46 PM

jettyparksurfer

Joined Forum: 07/25/2009

I surfed domes that day and the swell wasnt very strong at all. Just some nice overhead peaks coming in about every 5-6 minutes with a moderate current. I did see some guys out surfing indicators and the inside current at maria's was strong but thats normal with any north swell there.

01/19/2017 06:46 AM

gbigsurf1

RIP Surf brotha and God bless.

Surf Hard Live Long. Peace Out
 01/19/2017 12:03 PM

rodndtube

Joined Forum: 08/07/2003

The surf wasn't that large at Domes on Sunday, 3-5 ft, but the side shore current was there ripping down the coast from Punta Borinquen. The rip is worse in some places than others and it is particularly bad along the southern rock line of the cove and can haul your ass out of the inside. Once that happens a person needs to already know what their game plan is going to be (which is the case at most reef breaks in PR). The cove between Domes and Indicators is nasty, hence the name Deadman's Cove. It is not where you want to go inside, steep cliffs and funky currents. Swim or paddle towards the horizon and the current will take you down to outside Maria's.

I heard third hand that the surfer was from Melbourne, FL, and suffered from blunt force trauma -- likely from Deadman's Cove (but that is just my and others' speculation).

The surf leash could have been sliced by a sharp fin and force. But a reminder to always invest in quality leashes and don't let them age and degrade in the sun.

The surfer's brother must feel very grief stricken and no doubt some level of remorse. My sincere condolences to him and the family.

P.S. Five people dies along the Rincon area last year, believe all were surfers from the mainland USA.

vr/Rod
 01/19/2017 12:18 PM

daner

Joined Forum: 04/20/2004

Thanks for that insight rodndtube on the break. I'll keep that in mind if I ever get to PR. It's always terrible to have someone drown surfing, it makes it closer to home if your third hand info is correct and they were from Melbourne.

Replace turf grass with native plants that don't need irrigation and synthetic fertilizers or chemicals that can go into our waterways and ocean

Edited: 01/19/2017 at 12:45 PM by daner
 01/20/2017 12:17 PM

nsbkook

Joined Forum: 12/07/2011

I was there that week and the sideshore current was incredibly strong. I got pulled down the beach and got out and didn't try again. I know when I'm out of my league.
 01/20/2017 12:33 PM

long_flaco1

Joined Forum: 09/25/2003

@NSBkook

Did you find a more manageable spot with "happier" waves after that man? like on a different coast on the island? I'm just curious because I to plan to make that trek to PR some time in the future as well b.

SK8 AND DESTROY
 01/20/2017 01:02 PM

stokedpanda

Joined Forum: 09/04/2015

I broke my leash at middles on the outside-big choppy day and luckily made it in without getting urchined but for a second thought i may get swept with current out in front of the cliffs

I troll 2L.com to be a better person in real life
 01/21/2017 05:51 AM

mushyman

Joined Forum: 10/09/2013

A couple days last week were pretty heavy. I got slammed at domes the day before that dude didn't make it...schoolyards doh slammed me into the bottom, giving me about a quarter sized hole in my foot.

Do you know what Wubba-LubbA-Dub-Dub means in BirdPerson language?
 01/21/2017 11:01 AM

freesurfs

Joined Forum: 07/24/2003

I just returned myself
Lotsa beat downs for most everyone those first huge but windy days (sideways).
Glad my leash held.

So sorry again for the loss of Mickey Wright. He was out there to have some fun and hopefully catch a couple good ones ... its the same thing with us when we paddle out

RIP

... positioning and selection
 01/22/2017 10:22 AM

nsbkook

Joined Forum: 12/07/2011

Originally posted by: nsbkook

I was there that week and the sideshore current was incredibly strong. I got pulled down the beach and got out and didn't try again. I know when I'm out of my league.

It was more manageable further south like around little malibu. It was even breaking chest high rights at crashboat beach, and a local told me it practically never breaks there.

01/25/2017 04:58 AM

Beaglehole

Joined Forum: 09/20/2010

I've seen guys panic after getting pulled by the current to the south of Domes and make the paddle in right under the cliffs and then make the climb up the cliff. No bueno. Those guys obviously didnt do their homework. When I first started going down to PR years ago and before I knew the ins and outs of certain breaks I would just ask people. I kind of felt like a kook but I always felt like feeling a little bit like a kook is better than learning the hard way. Plus anybody that i ever asked a question too was always more than welcome to offer up advice. Since then I've always made it a point to help others out in a similar fashion. Pay it forward, right? Unfortunate situation for those guys though. Thats a bummer.
 01/25/2017 07:37 AM

daner

Joined Forum: 04/20/2004

In HI many of the breaks had lifeguards. If I wasn't with someone who knew the break I asked the lifeguards about hazards and the best place to paddle in and out. They were always glad to help.

Replace turf grass with native plants that don't need irrigation and synthetic fertilizers or chemicals that can go into our waterways and ocean

01/25/2017 03:25 PM
User is online View Users Profile Print this message

Central Floridave

Paddle-out set for Brevard man who died surfing in Puerto Rico
http://www.floridatoday.com/st...puerto-rico/96676614/

Saturday, a memorial service will be held at 11 a.m. at Riviera United Church of Christ in Palm Bay. At 3 p.m., surfers will participate in a paddle-out at Bicentennial Park in Indian Harbour Beach.

The 39-year-old grew up in Melbourne Beach, and he attended Melbourne High. A carpenter, he owned a home interior construction business. The brothers were living together in Indian Harbour Beach.
 01/26/2017 02:29 PM

TATTOO74

Joined Forum: 10/26/2005

Thanks for the info ^^. I lost touch with Mike "Bug" over the years and he found me on the book of faces not too long ago. He commented on my Puerto Rico trip and mentioned how him and his brother were headed out there soon. Little did I know all this was going to happen. He grew up with our network of friends, He was a good kid. RIP.
FORUMS : Surfing : fl surfer dies in rincon

1 2 Next Last unread
Topic Tools Topic Tools
Statistics
146499 users are registered to the 2nd Light Forums forum.
There are currently 4 users logged in to the forum.

FuseTalk Basic Edition - © 1999-2024 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.

First there was Air Jordan .