Hey Matt B ... How the hell o are you ??? :)

2nd Light Forums
Decrease font size
Increase font size
Topic Title: Surfing on the gulf
Topic Summary: Via drone
Created On: 12/10/2016 12:56 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 12/10/2016 12:56 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

azboarder23

Joined Forum: 03/19/2007

Surf from air

-------------------------
Ride the mountain.
 12/10/2016 04:39 PM

Kimo63

Joined Forum: 04/22/2012

I grew up there . Something is better than nothing. You really have a love for the surf to keep chasing a better day. Hats off to those that pursue the stoke.
 12/10/2016 05:54 PM

johnnyboy

Joined Forum: 07/22/2003

Those guys know their spot. Great video.

"One of the reasons why propaganda tries to get you to hate government is because it's the one existing institution in which people can participate to some extent and constrain tyrannical unaccountable power." Noam Chomsky.

12/11/2016 09:41 PM

sw

Joined Forum: 10/13/2005

Just for reference (not being from the Gulf side myself), how many days a year is it at least that good or better?

Just trying to get a feel for how often it's actually surfable over there.
 12/12/2016 05:37 AM

azboarder23

During the winter quite a bit. Almost the same as south Florida. Just check Gulfster.com to see what it is like. Those guys keep a keen eye out for the area.

Ride the mountain.
 12/12/2016 06:18 AM

sw

South Florida isn't a good point of reference for me, unfortunately.

Seriously, can anyone throw a number out there for how many days a year the Gulf side is decent? I've never paid attention except the few times a year someone posts pics from an epic storm swell, so I have no real sense on how many days a person could actually hope to surf living over there.
 12/12/2016 07:23 AM

Tomkat

Joined Forum: 12/06/2003

As Jerry Lee Lewis once said......a whole-lotta SNAKING going on......

"Live each season as it passes; breathe the air, drink the drink, taste the fruit, and resign yourself to the influences of each" - Henry David Thoreau
 12/12/2016 08:28 AM

tubeTime

Joined Forum: 10/16/2003

sw, I've lived and surfed over here for 22 years. I'm not a journal keeping type but I have a friend that logs every swell. It's been years since I asked him how many days of surf he got during a particular year. If I recall correctly mid 60s seems to be an average year. You can always head back East when there's swell there too. If you don't own a log, you should buy one. So far this winter has been below average with only a few swells. You can usually expect 2 - 3 days of surf per cold front. South - southwest windswell followed by a good NW windswell and if you're lucky a clean up morning with NW swell and NE winds.
 12/12/2016 08:37 AM

LBLarry

Joined Forum: 05/25/2004

Originally posted by: tubeTime

sw, I've lived and surfed over here for 22 years. I'm not a journal keeping type but I have a friend that logs every swell. It's been years since I asked him how many days of surf he got during a particular year. If I recall correctly mid 60s seems to be an average year. You can always head back East when there's swell there too. If you don't own a log, you should buy one. So far this winter has been below average with only a few swells. You can usually expect 2 - 3 days of surf per cold front. South - southwest windswell followed by a good NW windswell and if you're lucky a clean up morning with NW swell and NE winds.

and of those "60" days per year, 50+ will be waist high or less, gutless, very marginal form, short period, windchop.

For further reference, see the pics that Daner posted today ( 12/12/16 ) .... that would be an all time day, talked about for years, on the Central & SW Fla Gulf

Note: this does not include the Panhandle area which get significantly better surf than the central & SW Fla gulf coast.

"Most people would die sooner than think; in fact, they do." - Bertrand Russell

"Morality is doing what is right, regardless of what you are told. Religion is doing what you are told, regardless of what is right.

If I do not answer you .... nothing personal, I just have you on ignore.
 12/12/2016 08:40 AM

sw

thanks...interesting insights
 12/12/2016 09:03 PM

Kimo63

Joined Forum: 04/22/2012

But when it's on , it's really on. I've surfed a few spots and it still holds a special place for me.
 12/12/2016 09:06 PM

azboarder23

SW sorry didn't know you have not surfed South Florida. I would say in the winter a handful of days and the summer pray for a cane or else drive travel and take up fishing. It's pretty far and few between. But when it's good it's good.

Ride the mountain.
 12/12/2016 09:46 PM

equipeola

Joined Forum: 12/17/2009

Nice setup! Too bad about the greatlakes like fetch per anum. 

ola ~

12/14/2016 07:29 AM

SgtHulk

Joined Forum: 04/07/2011

living on gulf side now i will admit when the waves are on the form and shape is so nice over here  but its so damn rare it sucks lol  i love venice too its my go to spot every cold front hah

12/14/2016 07:56 AM

johnnyboy

Joined Forum: 07/22/2003

I was amazed at how some of the guys there got so good with so many fewer opportunities. There are some talented dudes that cut their teeth on those 60 days. I'm sure they travel a lot afterward but like all of us they have those memories seared into their brains of those rare perfect days where everything came together, the few who were determined were rewarded and every time you went months without a wave, that memory would comfort and torture you.

"One of the reasons why propaganda tries to get you to hate government is because it's the one existing institution in which people can participate to some extent and constrain tyrannical unaccountable power." Noam Chomsky.

12/14/2016 03:23 PM

harrietdubman

Joined Forum: 11/07/2015

Originally posted by: LBLarry
Originally posted by: tubeTime sw, I've lived and surfed over here for 22 years. I'm not a journal keeping type but I have a friend that logs every swell. It's been years since I asked him how many days of surf he got during a particular year. If I recall correctly mid 60s seems to be an average year. You can always head back East when there's swell there too. If you don't own a log, you should buy one. So far this winter has been below average with only a few swells. You can usually expect 2 - 3 days of surf per cold front. South - southwest windswell followed by a good NW windswell and if you're lucky a clean up morning with NW swell and NE winds.
and of those "60" days per year, 50+ will be waist high or less, gutless, very marginal form, short period, windchop. For further reference, see the pics that Daner posted today ( 12/12/16 ) .... that would be an all time day, talked about for years, on the Central & SW Fla Gulf Note: this does not include the Panhandle area which get significantly better surf than the central & SW Fla gulf coast.

all time? sorry but after only living on the gulf for a year and a half i can discern thats not true at all. maybe wave length wise but last winter we had several days pushing head high super steep and fast . this summer during hermine we had head high glassy sets with more and better barrels than the majority of central east fl sessions ive had in my short time living in fl. if you like to navigate chop (some of us real surfers are up for anything) matthew gave us overhead peaks that you can lay the heck into . its all about timing and knowing what waves to look for/where to sit.i know what truly crappy surf is like as i grew up in one of the worst areas on the ec to surf. gulf can get fun and when theres swell you know what youre gonna get as opposed to the constantly shifting bars of the ec . 

sneedeker

Edited: 12/14/2016 at 03:34 PM by harrietdubman
Statistics
146495 users are registered to the 2nd Light Forums forum.
There are currently 3 users logged in to the forum.

FuseTalk Basic Edition - © 1999-2024 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.

First there was Air Jordan .