Hey Matt B ... How the hell o are you ??? :)

2nd Light Forums
Decrease font size
Increase font size
Topic Title: Beach Nourishment can create epic point breaks
Topic Summary:
Created On: 12/08/2016 01:31 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
1 2 Next Last unread
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 12/08/2016 01:31 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

TheFirstPeakProject

Joined Forum: 01/12/2016

In the Netherlands and Australia, the dredge companies pump sand to create point breaks instead of plain old beaches.

Can you imagine Ocean Ave looking like Lowers?

Instead of constantly protesting and complaining about beach nourishment, why doesn't the Florida surfing community demand the Army Corps build us point breaks?

Beach Nourishment Makes Point Breaks

-------------------------

The First Peak Project is a 501(c)(3) public benefit organization whose mission is to restore the legendary wave First Peak at Sebastian Inlet to its former glory. 

www.firstpeak.org

12/08/2016 01:59 PM

Dylan

Joined Forum: 04/10/2004

I'm no scientist but there is no way that would work here. Our coastline is vastly different from Australia. You need large bends and curves in the cost to have a point break. I would agree that pumping sand can make a point break better for example the superbank. It's a PIPE dream (That was bad attempt at a joke).
 12/08/2016 02:17 PM

StirfryMcflurry

Joined Forum: 08/17/2016

Originally posted by: TheFirstPeakProject

Instead of constantly protesting and complaining about beach nourishment, why doesn't the Florida surfing community demand the Army Corps build us point breaks?

Comments like this ^ , serious or not, are NOT gonna help your cause. The ACE is not in the business of making point breaks for anyone. It is known.

12/08/2016 02:29 PM

stokedpanda

Joined Forum: 09/04/2015

Originally posted by: Dylan

I'm no scientist but there is no way that would work here. Our coastline is vastly different from Australia. You need large bends and curves in the cost to have a point break. I would agree that pumping sand can make a point break better for example the superbank. It's a PIPE dream (That was bad attempt at a joke).

It works every time they do it in st aug...THE DREDGE! Creates very short but legit left wedges

I troll 2L.com to be a better person in real life
 12/08/2016 03:13 PM

Skunkape

Joined Forum: 08/03/2015

A series of long distance ground swells unmollested by local winds would work miracles for me.

12/08/2016 03:31 PM

TheFirstPeakProject

Joined Forum: 01/12/2016

Go on, learn you something today...

ShoredUp

Get some.

The First Peak Project is a 501(c)(3) public benefit organization whose mission is to restore the legendary wave First Peak at Sebastian Inlet to its former glory. 

www.firstpeak.org

12/09/2016 12:38 AM

ww

Joined Forum: 08/17/2007

Dutch Sand Motor.  Build a bulge on the coast and let currents distribute the sand over a period of years.  It's south of The Hague.  Google maps

c

zandmotor copy.jpg
zandmotor copy.jpg  (73 KB)
 12/09/2016 06:12 AM

fredman

Joined Forum: 06/12/2010

Beach renourishment typically ruins good sandbars.  Often, when the renourishment is in progress, a nice wave can be found just to the unfinished side of the project.  But it's only temporary, and once the project is completed, that sandbar is typically ruined for an extended period of time.  

In addition, the renourishment project often causes plenty of enrironmental damage -- some projects are more responsible than others, most not so much.

More piers might be a solution worth exploring.  There is typically plenty of beach/sand around a pier and typically better waves than the rest of the area.  In theory, you probably wouldn't even need to build the deck portion of the pier, just the pillars would probably be enough.  

12/09/2016 06:40 AM

mikedaniel

Joined Forum: 01/11/2012

''Beach nourishment'' is a marketing term dreamed up by the dredge lobby. Call it what it is - dredge and fill.

Also what it is - a subsidy for ill-placed coastal development. And a lot of repetitive cash flow for FSBPA members. Nice work if you can get it; dredge, rinse, repeat.....

What isn't - adaptation to SLR, although dredge lobby is trying to cast it as such.

12/09/2016 07:59 AM

Surfproducts.Com

Joined Forum: 07/30/2003

Actually that is exactly what we need a pump house at the cape flowing the sand south like it did naturally for thousands of years! till they put the port in, the sand stopped flowing the beaches suffered the natural sand transfer cycle was broken. where do you think the sand comes from at the shoals? That sand would have settled further south. Hell they use to drag race on da beach in cocoa beach and land planes their in the 60's so basically 50 years is all it takes to kill a beach....

end rant......

http://www.Surfproducts.com
The Future of Surf Shopping
Or come visit
Cocoa Beach Surf & Skate
260 N. Orlando Ave.
 12/09/2016 10:08 AM

johnny tsunami

Joined Forum: 03/09/2005

Originally posted by: fredman Beach renourishment typically ruins good sandbars.  Often, when the renourishment is in progress, a nice wave can be found just to the unfinished side of the project.  But it's only temporary, and once the project is completed, that sandbar is typically ruined for an extended period of time.
 12/09/2016 10:12 AM

johnny tsunami

Joined Forum: 03/09/2005

Yep ^
 12/09/2016 10:38 AM

bugsbunny

Joined Forum: 12/18/2013

It takes epic swells to make epic breaks. How do you idiots compare a Pacific swell to an Atlantic swell. The Beach Nourishment Program benifits the 1/2 of 1% of the population of Brevard county. You cover the sand fleas, and what ever life, happens to be underneath the tons of shit, you dump for the privilaged few. Maybe if you took all the used tires and dumped them in the ocean it would break like Pipe Line. Oh I forgot, they found that dumping tires in the ocean, was such a bad idea they had to be removed, one by one. Well, at least RC'S will have a New Condominium to block access to that spot. Good job Satellite Beach Building Dept, I am sure you cigar smokong, boozers were paid off well.

12/09/2016 11:50 AM

tom

Joined Forum: 07/25/2003

I zoomed in on the "sand motor" on google earth.

Didn't see any indication of point break or even surfers

but you can see a couple guys (maybe) kiteboarding at 

52° 03' 51.24"N  4° 12' 8.34" E  (oops fixed)

look for the long wake and shadows of the kites

add a signature since I'm here in profile anyway

Edited: 12/09/2016 at 11:59 AM by tom
 12/09/2016 12:04 PM

stokedpanda

Joined Forum: 09/04/2015

Originally posted by: bugsbunny

It takes epic swells to make epic breaks. How do you idiots compare a Pacific swell to an Atlantic swell. The Beach Nourishment Program benifits the 1/2 of 1% of the population of Brevard county. You cover the sand fleas, and what ever life, happens to be underneath the tons of shit, you dump for the privilaged few. Maybe if you took all the used tires and dumped them in the ocean it would break like Pipe Line. Oh I forgot, they found that dumping tires in the ocean, was such a bad idea they had to be removed, one by one. Well, at least RC'S will have a New Condominium to block access to that spot. Good job Satellite Beach Building Dept, I am sure you cigar smokong, boozers were paid off well.

Dudes so pissed he spelt smoking wrong, fuming!

I troll 2L.com to be a better person in real life
 12/09/2016 01:12 PM

bugsbunny

Joined Forum: 12/18/2013

Got me genuis. I'll spank myself and write a hundred times on the blackboard. Stroked Pandsey, I beleive dudes is spelled wrong. If you can't figutre it out, just write, "dude is". Thanks for monitoring the spelling, forget the substance. Too much stroking.

12/09/2016 01:24 PM

StirfryMcflurry

Joined Forum: 08/17/2016

Originally posted by: bugsbunny  How do you idiots compare a Pacific swell to an Atlantic swell. 

Originally posted by: Dylan  Our coastline is vastly different from Australia.

Shhhhhhh. Brilliant minds are at work. They "got this" & "yo". 

12/09/2016 01:30 PM

RegularJoe

Joined Forum: 11/20/2011

Originally posted by: bugsbunny
at least RC'S will have a New Condominium to block access to that spot. Good job Satellite Beach Building Dept, I am sure you cigar smokong, boozers were paid off well.

They are supposed to preserve the north access there, and ADD another one on the south side.

12/09/2016 01:38 PM

brandnewsurfstik

Joined Forum: 09/18/2006

Damn millennials

poopsuit
 12/09/2016 01:46 PM

equipeola

Joined Forum: 12/17/2009

bugs is da man. ALL surfns bugs are da mans btw too-

gitsum

ola ~

FORUMS : Surfing : Beach Nourishment can create epic point breaks

1 2 Next Last unread
Topic Tools Topic Tools
Statistics
146495 users are registered to the 2nd Light Forums forum.
There are currently 0 users logged in to the forum.

FuseTalk Basic Edition - © 1999-2024 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.

First there was Air Jordan .