Hey Matt B ... How the hell o are you ??? :)

2nd Light Forums
Decrease font size
Increase font size
Topic Title: Andy: The Untold Story of Andy Irons
Topic Summary: Full trailer
Created On: 10/17/2016 08:21 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
1 2 Next Last unread
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 10/17/2016 08:21 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

myEYESwontDry

Joined Forum: 03/12/2010

10/18/2016 07:21 AM

bugsbunny

Joined Forum: 12/18/2013

Congradats to all the alcoholics and drug abusers for hero status. The loser is the hard working Dad or Mom who does the right thing, or military personnal that sacrifices everything. Those are write-ups no one will read. Every one needs to read what a loser Andy Irons was, great reading material for your kids on how to be a loser.

10/18/2016 07:47 AM

stokedpanda

Joined Forum: 09/04/2015

Originally posted by: bugsbunny

Congradats to all the alcoholics and drug abusers for hero status. The loser is the hard working Dad or Mom who does the right thing, or military personnal that sacrifices everything. Those are write-ups no one will read. Every one needs to read what a loser Andy Irons was, great reading material for your kids on how to be a loser.

If you need some Windex for your glass house it is on sale at dollar general, he was a hero in the water, nobody's perfect on land!

-------------------------
I troll 2L.com to be a better person in real life
 10/18/2016 11:14 AM

daner

Joined Forum: 04/20/2004

The Iron's brothers had everything most people would ever want. Success and hero status. Being young and human has derailed many in that position. It's unfortunate that he didn't recognize the path he was on until it was too late. Great surfer and really missed from the Tour.

Replace turf grass with native plants that don't need irrigation and synthetic fertilizers or chemicals that can go into our waterways and ocean

10/18/2016 11:51 AM

DaveFL76

Joined Forum: 08/16/2003

The trailer makes it look like this will be a pretty honest story. Hopefully it'll end up helping some people get a hold of their lives if they're headed down the same path.
 10/18/2016 12:04 PM

TATTOO74

Joined Forum: 10/26/2005

I've seen this "story" unfold in front of me with a girl I once knew. I agree it's the persons fault for getting or allowing themselves to take so much Oxy to where they get addicted, but once it's set in I don't think they have much control over the addiction. I saw her lose everything down to her family and kids. Everyone wanted to help, but she wasn't having it. Now she is homeless and lost full custody of her kids. Andy I'm sure found himself in his own battle with addiction and people trying to get him help, which he prob ignored, and unfortunately he ended up losing his life.. I'll be interested in watching this.
 10/18/2016 12:19 PM

sillysalt

Joined Forum: 05/19/2004

Is there a release date?

Who needs a better life?
 10/18/2016 12:37 PM

tingo

Joined Forum: 09/22/2004

People do save themselves. I have a friend  that was doing "ice" in Hawaii. He said his heart was going to beat out of his chest. He thought he was going to die. He said to God "if you let me live I promise to go straight."

He did live and he did go straight. He is now a pastor with a beautiful wife and children.....

10/18/2016 01:27 PM

johnnyboy

Joined Forum: 07/22/2003

I am a criminal defense attorney. I cannot count on my hands and feet how many clients that I have represented that have died. Some rich, many previously rich, some famous, some you would expect, many you wouldnt, a playboy playmate, a millionaire trust fund kid, the gay son of the very rich embarassed parents, the broke thug, the skateboarder with bulging discs that went past his scrips, the gorgeous woman who got so many breaks because nobody would let themselves believe that anyone that beautiful shouldn't get a break, the family member who extorts his parents with endless phony dental crises and urgent care visits, and of course, the cop whose prescription ended but his need didnt.

There was a lesson in all of them, as I'm sure there was in Andy's case. I remember the threads when it first happened. We argued and speculated while the family hid the truth and sought a less controversial autopsy. All of these stories have a specific ring to them and his certainly does, but he was such a good surfer that people expected him to be somehow wise and thoughtful. He was not. I loved watching precisely because he was not. Kelly would battle with him and when he lost, he blamed the judges, the media and openly powted. He was not media savvy and he was often a dick. His brother had no problem joining in the rant too. Kelly played them knowing this. He would say how great he was every time he beat him and Bruce Irons would be seething and ready to swing. That rivalry will probably never be matched but it had to have taken its toll. Who can perform at like that every time you get wet? Who could resist the lure of drugs for the pain, for the excitement, for the hurry up, for the slow down, for the edge, for the homies?

I wonder if the WCT would consider drug testing.

"One of the reasons why propaganda tries to get you to hate government is because it's the one existing institution in which people can participate to some extent and constrain tyrannical unaccountable power." Noam Chomsky.

10/18/2016 06:13 PM

bugsbunny

Joined Forum: 12/18/2013

StokedPandy, Thanks for the babble and the great tip on Windex. I guess you have to use a lot of Windex to know when it goes on sale.

10/18/2016 06:19 PM

KTM434

Joined Forum: 07/24/2015

I hope the movie is brutally honest and reveals all aspects of the true story

10/18/2016 11:12 PM

equipeola

Joined Forum: 12/17/2009

Originally posted by: johnnyboy I am a criminal defense attorney. I cannot count on my hands and feet how many clients that I have represented that have died. Some rich, many previously rich, some famous, some you would expect, many you wouldnt, a playboy playmate, a millionaire trust fund kid, the gay son of the very rich embarassed parents, the broke thug, the skateboarder with bulging discs that went past his scrips, the gorgeous woman who got so many breaks because nobody would let themselves believe that anyone that beautiful shouldn't get a break, the family member who extorts his parents with endless phony dental crises and urgent care visits, and of course, the cop whose prescription ended but his need didnt. There was a lesson in all of them, as I'm sure there was in Andy's case. I remember the threads when it first happened. We argued and speculated while the family hid the truth and sought a less controversial autopsy. All of these stories have a specific ring to them and his certainly does, but he was such a good surfer that people expected him to be somehow wise and thoughtful. He was not. I loved watching precisely because he was not. Kelly would battle with him and when he lost, he blamed the judges, the media and openly powted. He was not media savvy and he was often a dick. His brother had no problem joining in the rant too. Kelly played them knowing this. He would say how great he was every time he beat him and Bruce Irons would be seething and ready to swing. That rivalry will probably never be matched but it had to have taken its toll. Who can perform at like that every time you get wet? Who could resist the lure of drugs for the pain, for the excitement, for the hurry up, for the slow down, for the edge, for the homies? I wonder if the WCT would consider drug testing.

This is excellent perspective johnnyboy! Thanks much for shareing it. Wasn't it said there was a level of ' bipolar' associated too?

I will always remember as being the most impactful thing to me to date  regarding the 'pro-circuit', sitting in front of the family desktop way back when, watching the Andy-Kelly Pipeline dual, live, in real time. It seemed almost surreal to our everyday lives at the time, and left a lifetime impression on us as a family of waveriders. Very, very cool!

ola ~

Edited: 10/18/2016 at 11:21 PM by equipeola
 10/19/2016 04:34 AM

Central Floridave

Joined Forum: 07/22/2003

Andy's story is kind like rock star stories. Sex, drugs, and rock-n-roll...then gone too soon.

I didn't particular like Andy during the rivalry. Being a huge Slater fan how could you be? He beat our champ.

The trailer looks really good. I'll watch it. Hopefully it makes it on the big screen.
 10/19/2016 08:30 AM

dkaye

Joined Forum: 08/19/2007

obviously dude had a ton of issues, bi polar disorder and drug addiction is 

A - not easy

and 

B - not a conscious choice

Very sad way to end a sick life, my best memory of him was at the eddie pulling into that REDICULOUS shore pound - fucking classic!

RIP Andy, I feel sorry for you bugs bunny - hopefully addiction never takes someone you love

https://www.instagram.com/dj_kaye_/

10/19/2016 08:39 AM

SurfAddict

Joined Forum: 09/17/2009

Originally posted by: dkaye obviously dude had a ton of issues, bi polar disorder and drug addiction is 

A - not easy

and 

B - not a conscious choice

Very sad way to end a sick life, my best memory of him was at the eddie pulling into that REDICULOUS shore pound - fucking classic!

RIP Andy, I feel sorry for you bugs bunny - hopefully addiction never takes someone you love

Such a sad story...a ton of talent, for sure, but coupled w/a lot of mental health/ addiction issues.  He definitely made the World Tour a lot more compelling and interesting. 

As for the Waimea Bay shorepound during the Eddie, I believe you're thinking of his brother, Bruce.  AI's most iconic surfing moments, IMHO, were at Pipe and Chopes.

Surfing is my passion...obsesssion... addiction! Can't imagine life without it!
 10/19/2016 08:40 AM

stokedpanda

Joined Forum: 09/04/2015

By definition YOUR first two sentences are babble, the last one you are calling a dead guy a loser, and you cant spell!

Originally posted by: bugsbunny

I troll 2L.com to be a better person in real life
 10/19/2016 09:51 AM

dkaye

Joined Forum: 08/19/2007

lol, yep, that shit was gnarly

https://www.instagram.com/dj_kaye_/

10/19/2016 10:23 AM

surfmcc32

Joined Forum: 11/11/2009

https://www.outsideonline.com/1920286/last-drop

Here's a good insight into Andy's troubles, long article but well worth the read. a hero to our sport? Definitely, he was one of the greatest surfers ever and his 3 year run against Kelly were probably the best 3 years of the CT era. He was also one of the first guys to really take small waves progressive surfing and transfer it into waves of consequence. Was he a perfect person? Hell no, and he never claimed to be, I think that's why a lot of people liked him so much, he was himself the good the bad the ugly and he didn't care what you thought regardless. He felt real and raw. Bipolar is a hard disorder to live with, your life is like a rollercoaster and it seems like Andys life epitomizes that. 

Favorite quote from Andy

What would you change about your life? “Not a thing. Everything’s a learning curve. There’s a couple of things (laughs) I’d like to take back, but fuck, I wouldn’t be who I am or where I am today. You gotta go in the mud sometimes to figure out who you are. I’ve had my fair share of hills and valleys, but life’s been radical and exciting. Stuff that kings would die to do.”       RIP AI

10/19/2016 02:37 PM

surferclimber

Joined Forum: 01/23/2011

Originally posted by: tingo People do save themselves. I have a friend  that was doing "ice" in Hawaii. He said his heart was going to beat out of his chest. He thought he was going to die. He said to God "if you let me live I promise to go straight."

He did live and he did go straight. He is now a pastor with a beautiful wife and children.....

That's awesome thanks for sharing...

get up early and go surf - it'll make that hangover go away and/or make the workday more tolerable :)

04/25/2018 09:14 AM

daner

Joined Forum: 04/20/2004

The Andy Irons documentary "Kissed by God" will premier May 2 in LA.

http://www.worldsurfleague.com...ons-documentary

https://youtu.be/GJWIPRvtAHk

Replace turf grass with native plants that don't need irrigation and synthetic fertilizers or chemicals that can go into our waterways and ocean

FORUMS : Surfing : Andy: The Untold Story of Andy Irons

1 2 Next Last unread
Topic Tools Topic Tools
Statistics
146495 users are registered to the 2nd Light Forums forum.
There are currently 0 users logged in to the forum.

FuseTalk Basic Edition - © 1999-2024 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.

First there was Air Jordan .