Hey Matt B ... How the hell o are you ??? :)

2nd Light Forums
Decrease font size
Increase font size
Topic Title: New wave park in Texas!
Topic Summary: Its no KS wave pool but looks pretty damn good.
Created On: 10/07/2016 05:18 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
1 2 Next Last unread
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 10/07/2016 05:18 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

NSIsharkbait

Joined Forum: 09/16/2005

Here..

-------------------------
https://i.imgur.com/rMXKWWK.gifv
 10/08/2016 09:29 AM

weldertom2

Joined Forum: 04/14/2005

Friends surfed it yesterday and had a blast. 

Little steep on the price though. $90.00 for a one hour session- apparently guaranteed 6-7 waves. 

I expect the price will come down after the new wears off and it gets cold.

I'm on it in a few weeks. Come on over Tiptime!

10/08/2016 04:45 PM

pappanuevo

Joined Forum: 05/11/2004

I live in Austin. Happy it's here, a little bummed with the price. I've booked a couple of spots. Highly unlikely the price will drop, 2mil people in this city and tons of young people. Everything is busy here. I was hoping it would be open 24-7...

Proud member of the ACP mafia since 1975
 10/08/2016 06:48 PM

Tiptime

Joined Forum: 07/24/2003

Heading to see family in Texas soon and will be checking out this wave

The Wavecaster
 10/09/2016 05:30 AM

gbigsurf1

Joined Forum: 07/22/2003

Dam looks like good times

Surf Hard Live Long. Peace Out
 10/09/2016 10:52 AM

sharkey

Joined Forum: 01/07/2009

Dayum! No family or package rates? Off hour rates?

Seems worth doing but also seems like they'd want more repeat business.

10/09/2016 01:27 PM

Av8Surf

Joined Forum: 09/05/2014

Sick. Why not here in FL?

Trading Surfboards for Bitcoin or Ethereum.

Send me Bitcoin 1Dk8oJnprZfvXGDfZpxkuoko8SSVf5Tpp2

Boards For Sale: SUPs 11 foot and 12 foot BRAND NEW. Fair prices.
 10/09/2016 06:39 PM

NorthJettySurf

Joined Forum: 07/23/2003

damn that's bad ass!!!

____/\___\o/____ AHHH a SHARK!!!
 10/10/2016 08:31 AM

Aquaholic

Joined Forum: 09/18/2005

Wasn't this the place that the town halted the permit process, or something like that because at the last minute the city wanted it to meet swimming pool regulations?

What? Really? I missed it? Oh..I should have been here yesterday!
 10/23/2016 09:25 AM

pappanuevo

Update: I surfed it Friday night.
Review: wave is good, takes a little getting used to. It's a wedge that has an entery that is a little counterintuitive at first. Oddly, I had more sucess catching backside waves. I got lucky because there were only 2 of us on the "reef break" (3 people with reservations apparently didn't show up) so I was able to catch twice as many waves as I could have if there would've been five guys on the "reef break". The setup: in theory five guys lined up in different take off points and one guy has priority, if he misses in the second guy in line can get the wave and so on. Once the wave pushes through it repeats itself after a few minutes in the opposite direction so the guy on that other end of the pool with then have priority, if he misses the next guy in line gets a shot and so on. Since there were only two of us we lined up at opposite ends in exchange rights and lefts, but the guy opposite of me kept missing his wave so I just lined up in the middle of the pool and caught rights and lefts going half distance each way. I did manage about 12 or 13 waves in one hour, two of them were full length across the pool. A full ride is around 150-165 yards,upwards of 30-35 seconds. I also managed about six or 1/2 lenght rides. My legs were a little spent after a long ride, but even though I swim and run up to 100 miles a month, I'm out of "surfing shape". The way it works is the machine pushes the swell in One Direction, invented the next wave comes from the opposite direction as the machine comes back across the pool. So, alternating right and lefts. And, there are two sides to the pool. From a quality perspective the wave is pretty darn good. There are sections that you can carve and if the wind is right it will barrel towards the end. I was actually surprised at how fast the wave was which is why I missed a couple on the take off.
Had there been five guys, and assuming all five knew how to surf I would've gotten only six or seven waves. At 6 waves the value would've been relatively low at $90 an hour. However, I don't live in South Melbourne Beach anymore so i'm definitely not complaining but I have a pretty bad ass wave pool near my house. I am praying they will have a winter and or locals special pass to bring the rate down.
The facility: The facility is pretty nice. There is an observation deck for viewers. Since I sold all my boards before I move to Austin I had to rent one of their boards. 25 bucks got me a pretty sweet channel islands "Mod Pod". I probably need to go ahead and order a board since I most likely will be going back at least once a month from here on out. I've already booked three more sessions over the next two weeks. It's expensive, but I work hard so I need it.
Going forward I'm going to try to get to know the staff and try to book sessions that will give me the highest probability of not having five guys on the break. Kudos to the lifeguard that was on duty ( they hang out in the pool on soft foam boards to keep priority order) because after he saw me catch a wave and realized I could actually surf, and the other guy in the pool couldn't, the lifeguard set me up in the middle so I had a shot to basically catch every wave.

I'll give the wave of four out of five stars, I only wish it was a little bigger. Overall I'll give it a three out of five stars, only downgrading it because 90 bucks an hour is steep. Regarding the price, it is what it is and the investors had to pump out 25+ million to get this thing going. So theirwave pool is better than mine! Hope: I really believe this is the tip of the iceberg on what can be done with these manufactured waves. I don't see any reason why municipalities across the country couldn't invest and make wave pools a common thread in city parks across America. I bet that most of you in Brevard County would throw a few bucks in the pot for orange county to build 50 of these things since your favorite brakes would be a little less busy if those west of 95 had a different option!

10/23/2016 10:29 AM

gbigsurf1

Joined Forum: 07/22/2003

man thanks for the update, heck that price isn't bad if there were 3 peeps. Is it 90hr per person, max 5 people? Hell at times I've done the goon with 10 people and that's a hundo +... and about 12 waves or so... thanks again. Pix next time pleezz "P

Surf Hard Live Long. Peace Out
 11/06/2016 03:53 PM

ww

Joined Forum: 08/17/2007

The Inertia reports it's closed indefinitely.  Leaky liner.  

11/06/2016 04:05 PM

TunnelVision

Joined Forum: 10/02/2003

I heard Rick Kane was out recently
 11/06/2016 04:06 PM

TunnelVision

The wave structure is markedly similar to the ks wave pool, albeit with less juice. Wonder if the juice can be upped.
 11/06/2016 04:14 PM

ww

Joined Forum: 08/17/2007

Probably shape and speed of the moving foil.  I assume there's patents.

11/06/2016 04:23 PM

TunnelVision

Yeah, nothing close to the ks wave machine, but still looks really fun nonetheless. If this came out before KS wave machine, we'd be like "holy crap". We've seen too much though and are now spoiled with what is currently possible.
 11/07/2016 10:45 AM

oipaul

Joined Forum: 12/06/2004

closed already: Text
 11/07/2016 11:57 AM

NSIsharkbait

Joined Forum: 09/16/2005

Originally posted by: oipaul

closed already:
Text

Click bait much? Just closed for repairs. Not "closed".

https://i.imgur.com/rMXKWWK.gifv
 11/07/2016 12:05 PM

skatensurf

Joined Forum: 09/28/2006

^I don't think shutting down for repairs without a reopen date 1 month after opening was part of the plan
 11/08/2016 08:57 AM

pappanuevo

I've been twice now, first time the wind was better and helped shape a steeper wave. The 2nd visit there was zero wind and the wave wasn't as steep. Bummer it closed for repairs because I had 2 sessions booked last weekend. Hope they get it fixed and hope they do a winter season deal. I doubt they will drop the price since they were 100% booked ( except for the whitewater beginners section).
PS: still no call from NLAND and still no refund

FORUMS : Surfing : New wave park in Texas!

1 2 Next Last unread
Topic Tools Topic Tools
Statistics
146500 users are registered to the 2nd Light Forums forum.
There are currently 4 users logged in to the forum.

FuseTalk Basic Edition - © 1999-2024 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.

First there was Air Jordan .