Hey Matt B ... How the hell o are you ??? :)

2nd Light Forums
Decrease font size
Increase font size
Topic Title: Anyone know if the guy made it?
Topic Summary: RC's surfer pass away?
Created On: 09/05/2016 08:23 AM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
<< 1 2 3 Previous Last unread
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 09/06/2016 08:06 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

GsusSurfs

Joined Forum: 03/15/2011

I've got a good battery powered PA,  mic,  and mic stand if you need it.  Condolences to the family... 

-------------------------

Jesus invented surfing...
Matthew 14:22-33

www.facebook.com/churchonthebeach

09/07/2016 09:03 AM

B2Rcomp

Joined Forum: 09/07/2016

Thanks Brad for posting and the kind & uplifting words.  I am certain that we have met while taking surfing trips with Barry and you other neighbor Tom Glinski.  "Heartbroken" only begins to describe the emotions and the loss of a brother that you grew up with enjoying the passion of traveling, chasing swells and surfing with . . .  Your stellar efforts to conduct a paddle out this weekend are commendable and well deserving in the honor of such a great individual.

09/07/2016 09:05 AM

B2Rcomp

09/07/2016 09:07 AM

B2Rcomp

Originally posted by: flskimmer

A neighbor in Satellite Beach just told me about this, Monday afternoon. Barry Rubel was his name, lived two doors down from me. I am distraught right now, but wanted to share what I know with our surfing community, although I haven’t posted in forever. His wife told me a witness saw him ride a wave this early morning, grab his chest and roll off his board. I guess a few surfers paddled over and helped him to shore. They CPR’d but never got a pulse, neither did ambulance during the 20 minute ride to the hospital. Some folks recognized him and his car, whereby they found out his address to notify his wife.

I’ve only been in this neighborhood for two years, but Barry was always out walking his two dogs in the evenings after work, always willing to chat. The most approachable mellow dude, it was a joy to share the conversations we did. Petty stuff: boat problems, good surf, bad surf, engineering life, etc. He would always greet with a smile and quiet “Hello”. He was super fit, surfed every chance he had. He’d paddle almost every Saturday at Hightower just to get exercise. I’d see him unloading in the morning with his surfboard, tell him I thought it was flat, his response: “It is, but it was a nice morning to stretch out my arms.” He was more active in his 50’s than I am in my 30’s, and definitely was a good dude. Another of our brothers gone too soon.

The family is not sure of funeral arrangements yet, but I told them I would help facilitate a paddle-out for him once they know what their schedule is. We’ll probably do it at Hightower Park in Satellite Beach, this weekend, September  10 or 11. I will post here once I know the details. I do not know how big his surf network was, so if you wanted to send him off properly, you’d be welcome to attend.

I don’t know what it’s like to die, but I imagine I’d want to go out like that.

R.I.P. Barry Rubel

- Brad Evers

Thanks Brad for posting and the kind & uplifting words.  I am certain that we have met while taking surfing trips with Barry and your other neighbor Tom Glinski.  "Heartbroken" only begins to describe the emotions from the loss of a brother that you grew up with enjoying the passion of traveling, chasing swells and surfing with . . .  Your stellar efforts to conduct a paddle out this weekend are commendable and well deserving in the honor of such a great individual.

09/07/2016 07:13 PM

flskimmer

Joined Forum: 09/26/2003

Gsus, I have a "tailgater" speaker and mic i plan to bring that should suffice.

ALL,

I made a facebook event in hopes of reaching his various network of friends and coworkers. Feel free to click and share.

https://www.facebook.com/events/1242989595753876/

09/08/2016 10:17 AM

Av8Surf

Joined Forum: 09/05/2014

Nice idea. You should post it on Surf guru Facebook as an event.

He looks familiar. Seen him in the line up. 

Trading Surfboards for Bitcoin or Ethereum.

Send me Bitcoin 1Dk8oJnprZfvXGDfZpxkuoko8SSVf5Tpp2

Boards For Sale: SUPs 11 foot and 12 foot BRAND NEW. Fair prices.
 09/09/2016 09:02 AM

artz

Joined Forum: 10/30/2014

Mt deepest condulances to all the people that knew this gentleman and those that loved him. 

Some post said he was very fit but here is something to think about. I have lost two very fit friends to Heart Attacks.Miles saw out surfing in front of his Place in Nicaragua on a over head swell.  My other old freind Patrick died in his shaping bay in Califorina. Niether had seen a Dr in years They were fit felt good and didn't relearize they hada ticking time bomb in their cheast.   You can be fit and in shape but still have Heart Disease.   For acttive people is their 50s and beyound get a check up and Blood work done at least once a year.  I Had  a very high cholesterol levels. so high that my doctor was worried about my surfing and paddleboarding. Our eating habits have a big effect on our Hearts.   Changed my diet and had to start cholesteral meds But now back to normal levels. No high Blood Pressure.  My Heart looks good and I hope to keep on going for some years now.  I'll get off my soap box now.  

09/09/2016 10:30 AM

ww

Joined Forum: 08/17/2007

Heart attacks are still not very predictable, but they've decreased amazingly over the past decade or two.  At a time when there's concern about rising death rates, heart disease has been a great success.  CDC has good advice.  

Sudden, unexpected death still happens regularly.  Someone I saw weekly, who had fairly minor health problems but was fit and busy, died suddenly a month or so ago. He'd just been to see a doctor.  

So it's a good idea to live mindful that death can come whenever, and to set things up so as to make things as simple as possible for family and friends (and business if you have one).  I tend to carry around an expired driver license for ID.  I should get something more elaborate to cover a heart problem.  

09/09/2016 01:25 PM

worksuxgetsponsered

Joined Forum: 01/19/2005

At least he passed doing something he loved. Condolences to his family and friends. I didn't know him, but will definitely try to make the paddle out.

Specializing in sarcasm and condescending rhetoric since 1971.
 09/09/2016 09:39 PM

flskimmer

He ate boiled chicken and lettuce. Cycled every god-damned day he could. Makes me question my own existence. Regardless, come hang out, meet some strangers, and properly send off a comrade.

Reminder:

09/25/2016 06:25 PM

flskimmer

Paddle out video is now edited and posted. Thanks for all who attended.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pA238zqZNv0

09/25/2016 11:08 PM

TAK

Joined Forum: 08/27/2006

Is this the same Barry that is a legend on this forum??
 09/26/2016 03:48 AM

dropsolo

Joined Forum: 07/24/2003

Originally posted by: TAK

Is this the same Barry that is a legend on this forum??

Thanks for the video. Very nice/emotional!

And this is a different Barry. Just as legendary

I type on fone 99% of time. Let the typos slyde. Thanks
FORUMS : Surfing : Anyone know if the guy made it?

<< 1 2 3 Previous Last unread
Topic Tools Topic Tools
Statistics
146494 users are registered to the 2nd Light Forums forum.
There are currently 4 users logged in to the forum.

FuseTalk Basic Edition - © 1999-2024 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.

First there was Air Jordan .