Hey Matt B ... How the hell o are you ??? :)

2nd Light Forums
Decrease font size
Increase font size
Topic Title: Advice please!
Topic Summary: when there is waves and you cant surf!
Created On: 08/21/2016 08:49 AM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 08/21/2016 08:49 AM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

surferintheshade

Joined Forum: 12/10/2013

hey guy, as you all know when there are surfable waves and your not able to make it to the beach because of responsibilty, its pretty stressful. well eventually next semester i have to move to orlando for school to finish my BA. The fact that im going to be far from the beach is going to be stressful when i know waves are pumping but at the same time i know i need to make something of my self with school.

so i guess what im really trying to say is how do you kind of let go of surfing for the mean time until school is over. itll only be for 1.5-2 years. Surfing may happen 5% of the time. how do you deal with this?

-------------------------
the ocean is my medication
 08/21/2016 12:18 PM

sarasotasurfer

Joined Forum: 07/27/2003

I surfed lots when I was at ucf for four years

08/21/2016 12:31 PM

CERTON

Joined Forum: 04/22/2011

Originally posted by: sarasotasurfer I surfed lots when I was at ucf for four years

+1.  Also used student loans to fund several educational trips to Central America.

"Don't count the days, make the days count." -Ali
#rydyrstrong
 08/21/2016 01:46 PM

rc

Joined Forum: 01/02/2006

I handled it better at your age than even now. If you have to race over even to get 45 minutes before dark it makes you feel better until some guy tells you he has been out all day and proceeds to jockey you for every last wave until dark.
Nevertheless, get it whenever you can, even if it's blown out to subdue the stress.
 08/21/2016 02:09 PM

stevea

Joined Forum: 11/20/2009

Dude it's only an hour from the east side of ucf area to the water, an hour not that far to get wet. I just set limits to when I make the drive. And get other forms of exercise

08/21/2016 02:39 PM

harrietdubman

Joined Forum: 11/07/2015

gulfster here: planning and other hobbies. skim, skate, golf. 

sneedeker

08/21/2016 03:27 PM

sarasotasurfer

An hour each way as a college student with no real responsibilities is nothing.  That same hour each way (for me it's only 40 min North from where I live in SFL) is like planning a shuttle launch when you travel for work and have a wife and two very young kids at home.  Surf trip forget it.

I would never go back but those were some of the best years of my life.  I even met my wife my last semester at ucf.  

With the tinder Revolution brevard will be a distant memory and the drive to surf will be nothing.

08/21/2016 04:03 PM

sharkey

Joined Forum: 01/07/2009

1) Commute to UCF, 2) load ALL your Orlando campus classes into Tues/Thurs, 3) off-campus classes in Brevard, and 4) pm classes.

08/21/2016 05:46 PM

dropsolo

Joined Forum: 07/24/2003

Give in and realize that it's an investment in your future. Plan accordingly and know that you're going to miss it from time to time.

I started only checking for swell when I knew I could make it to the beach and back. Then again I had a pretty tough program and quick strikes to coast and back for slop DID NOT outweigh studies.

I know I'm an outlier in the opinions here but that's just my 2 cents. Take it or leave it.

I type on fone 99% of time. Let the typos slyde. Thanks
 08/21/2016 08:54 PM

sarasotasurfer

I would highly caution against commuting to school.  It's easy to commute to surf because you want to do it.  It's a lot harder to pull yourself out of bed to drive an hour each way to class.  You also miss out on the college experience which is a lot more than just school.  I'm not saying you need to join a frat and become a tool but living at or near the school you attend opens up a lot of fun opportunities.

08/21/2016 11:03 PM

equipeola

Joined Forum: 12/17/2009

As they say, " Just the cost of doing business". The waves will always be there. What your doin now's gonna make your surfin future more attainable. Dig school now!

ola ~

08/22/2016 03:17 AM

mattbujor

Joined Forum: 11/08/2013

I was in the same exact situation for the last 4 years. First off, realize school is a huge investment for yourself regardless of what anyone in the world will tell you about college degrees being handed out left and right. Second, if you have to decide between living at the beach or by school. Live at/by school and don't look back.

I was able to go surfing 2-5 times a week as an engineering undergrad while working and volunteering as well. Its completely doable, only thing that killed me was driving to one spot to see how misleading the surf cams looked. That and gas... so what did I do? Fabbed up a surf rack for my bike

But yes, having friends in classes definitely helped me surf more, and learn to organize your classes on tuesdays and thursdays only, leaves all the other days open to working, surfing, etc..

08/22/2016 04:08 AM

RUSSD

Joined Forum: 06/30/2014

find a happy medium for a place to live. If you can find a place that is about half way to school and waves you would be set. Then it would only be 320 minutes to each respective thing. Thusly making you able to have your cake, and eat it too.

RUSS-D'S PHOTOGRAPHY
 08/22/2016 04:52 AM

psydlady

Joined Forum: 07/01/2015

Hi there!  I am enjoying everyone's responses!  This is a similar issue for me (and for many others on here) but ongoing, as I work full time with Veterans and have a pretty intense schedule.  So I'm a weekend warrior.  I see my beloved buds on Facebook catch the good stuff while I work.  Everyone will tell you that I'm probably the most happy & smiley one out in the waves when I go...it really builds a huge appreciation for what we love to do when you cannot go all the time.

I don't watch surf cams when I know for sure I can't go.  Just too upsetting.  I carry a board and other supplies with me in the off chance I can go and believe me, any window I have I try to make it happen.  I look at my schedule and other demands each week and check reports and strategically figure out a window.  An hour of waves, even if sub-par form, is still worth it.

I would schedule classes the best way you can in the aim to jet over here to surf.  If it were me, I'd schedule afternoon and eve classes so to surf during prime time glassier mornings.  Do online courses when you can to offer that flexibility.

I do tell myself that the ocean and waves will always be there.  When it's an epic day, I literally look around at the water, my friends, and etch the moments in my mind of happiness so to recall them when I can't go or when life is challenging; I bring those moments forward.  A surfer will appreciate what I mean.

Congrats on sacrificing for the bigger picture.  It builds integrity and grit.

"The best surfer out there is the one having the most fun."
~Phil Edwards
 08/22/2016 05:18 AM

Plan B

Joined Forum: 03/08/2004

How often are the waves really good here?  Unfortunately not very......

Stay on top of your shit, so you can take advantage of those truly good days when you can.

Like others said, if you can schedule classes later in the day that frees up DP sessions (unless you have to work through college like I did, but luckily I was living right by the beach)

08/22/2016 07:12 AM

surferKev07

Joined Forum: 06/08/2007

I also used a bit of that loan money to head to Central America! It was sort of educational. I was a Geography student after all. If you have to work while in school, the restaurant industry won't hold you back from surfing. I worked a few shifts a week to pay bills and had plenty of time to surf. FAU Boca meant lots of driving to catch it good. You can do it. The drive from Orlando is quick. Schedule you classes accordingly. I was a big fan of the once a week night classes. Stay on top of your studying and papers. Don't wait until the last minute and stress yourself out. Remember that it's just a short season in your life. It will pass and you will be better off for doing it. In the down time, maybe give Brazilian Jiu Jitsu a try. It fills the void of no surf surprisingly well. Good Luck!
 08/23/2016 11:17 AM

CrazyTom

Joined Forum: 07/24/2003

I would say to keep in mind when it's "good" here, it's considered flat in many other places. I'd apply myself and sacrifice now so you can have a great career near an awesome dream break later. It's all an investment in the future.

Peace, Love and SOUL!
 08/24/2016 06:32 AM

stokedpanda

Joined Forum: 09/04/2015

Make friends with someone who has a sweet wake board boat! You can wake board, wake skate, long board, short board, all behind the boat and some of the bad arse ones throw a big enough wake to go "no rope".

I troll 2L.com to be a better person in real life
FORUMS : Surfing : Advice please!

Topic Tools Topic Tools
Statistics
146495 users are registered to the 2nd Light Forums forum.
There are currently 0 users logged in to the forum.

FuseTalk Basic Edition - © 1999-2024 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.

First there was Air Jordan .