Hey Matt B ... How the hell o are you ??? :)

2nd Light Forums
Decrease font size
Increase font size
Topic Title: Barbados
Topic Summary: Looking for some input mon.....
Created On: 08/16/2016 07:11 AM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 08/16/2016 07:11 AM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Plan B

Joined Forum: 03/08/2004

Ok guys, thinking of possibly going to Barbados late fall (november) and was looking for some input.

I've always considered it, but always disgarded the idea due to $$, but my brother works for JetBlue, so I may pull some strings.

Need to have shoulder surgery in the fall (was supposed to have it in the spring, but have been putting it off) but I'd like to get some surf in (advil assisted) before I'm laid up for awhile... this spring/ summer was HORRIBLE.

That's also why I'm considering the Bajan Isle, simply because if I can't power through multiple days of surf due to my shoulder (full SLAP 11-3oclock labrual tear) , I'm sure I can be entertained being somewhere new (although I'm pretty stubborn if it's firing)

I already did a search through the site, and came up with alot of "drink rum" or "south side spots are easier" type posts, and most were pretty old....  not exactly what I'm looking for.  (but I do like Beer and Rum!)

I'll preface this:   my usual idea of a surf trip is to the North Shore, so while I'm definitely NOT expecting that, I also don't want to target soft chest high waves.... if there's funshapes and SUPs out I'm probably playing tourist instead

So that's what made me think it's best to setup camp in Bathsheba just to be near Soup Bowls, to catch those quick moments of clean (less choppy) surf, but it seems that most accomodations are on the S & W sides.....  I'd be stoked if there were some winter N swells to provide waves everywhere, to surf more spots, and a Plan B to get away from crowds.....but ideally liked to prepared for the homerun. Looks like car rental is a perrogative, and will be planning on it.

As far as accomodations...... all I care about are the two Ss (Safe, & Sanitary) Preferably it can be a cheap shack, as long as it's in a good location,  it's not totally nasty & my stuff wont get jacked when I'm gone  I'm cool with it.  little kitchenette is a bonus, as apparently eating out is $$.  Came across "rest Haven Cottages" seems like a deal....

Is a smaller "step-up" board neccessary (say a 6-6 pintail)? or our "hurricane swell shortboards" suffice?

Also, I'd be into snorkeling / nearshore fishing if the swell forecast isnt up to par....

While this is still in the tentative stage Thanks in advance for any info!

I saw these vids and pointed due North

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rgrzN8ELIxI

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d8RbqY7zdYQ

Edited: 08/16/2016 at 07:43 AM by Plan B
 08/16/2016 07:40 AM

Waverider969

Joined Forum: 11/20/2011

Late fall still gets some swells from tropical waves coming off of Aftrica or any other swirl in the atlantic if the seson is still active. So Soup Bowls is a good option to provide most consistent surf. It can get big and solid over a covered reef.  The west coast is really a good winter spot from what I hear.  

08/16/2016 07:51 AM

SurferMic

Joined Forum: 06/30/2012

Search past post I think this subject has been discussed in detail.

POssible spot to stay- Roundhouse above Soup bowls...warning...A couple stayed there, they said there room was not safe, duplicate keys are around and they could tell someone was going in while they surfed, the scary part is one night while in the room they heard a key going into the door, they jumped up and both of them had to push against the door to keep whoever was trying to break in from coming into the room, this was a very long time ago 10+ years maybe it is better now.

08/16/2016 11:47 AM

bugsbunny

Joined Forum: 12/18/2013

A 2nd light genuis reply. Never been there He said, she said, 10 years ago. Probably the only place on the planet where duplicate keys can be found. Please give us your take on the Zika Virus, quantum physics, and inter-galatic travel.

08/16/2016 12:06 PM

long_flaco1

Joined Forum: 09/25/2003

I went last summer to get married.

BATHSHEBA aka "soup bowls" is an amazing wave! They said it was only 3 feet \ almost flat, but when we got in the water, it was head high occasional bigger peaks on the drops. Great times for sure dude! I'd say your regular FL hurricane board will suffice.

The BANKS BEER is the coldest most smoothest brew I've had ever (might also be the fact that your in an island drinking beer that was just made on that island lol)

Oh DO NOT touch the reef on your paddle out, I skimmed it by accident and brought back many urchin spines in ALL 10 fingertips. (island rookie maneuver without question on my part)

Enjoy it mang. The Beijan peeps are pretty awesome, and their Trees are "babby\regies" but it works!

-------------------------
SK8 AND DESTROY
 08/16/2016 02:01 PM

timoteo

Joined Forum: 08/16/2011

November is a good pick ,consider staying on the west or south coast ,closer to fish market shops and some fun breaks . Try Barbados travel site or Emville Guesthouse in Maxwell ,blue oceanvilla.net, Cotton Beach Apts (areacode ?) 4287822  near southpoint good luck! 

08/16/2016 02:31 PM

ootrucstopoo

Joined Forum: 01/09/2006

Originally posted by: bugsbunny A 2nd light genuis reply. Never been there He said, she said, 10 years ago. Probably the only place on the planet where duplicate keys can be found. Please give us your take on the Zika Virus, quantum physics, and inter-galatic travel.

hahaha so true.....75% of the forum haven't been anywhere besides costa rica
 08/16/2016 03:19 PM

Aquaholic

Joined Forum: 09/18/2005

There are many small places that you can stay that are super cheap. When I go with my buds we stay along the main road in Christ Church. Just DO NOT leave anything in the room that you cant live without. If going with a female partner best bet is a resort on the west coast.$$$$ but much safer. Just remember when you are tooling around the cane fields in your rented mini moke, lost as hell, that all roads lead to Bathsheba. In November you could luck into some solid Soup Bowls. Usually something surfable somewhere there

What? Really? I missed it? Oh..I should have been here yesterday!
 08/17/2016 04:56 AM

Waverider969

Joined Forum: 11/20/2011

wasn't there a place called Tradewinds Inn or something right on the cliff above Soup Bowls. I recall I stayed there years ago and it was a good place. Don't forget to go down beach and chill and puff with the locals before the surf session and they will let you in on some good waves.

08/17/2016 05:57 AM

dkaye

Joined Forum: 08/19/2007

Don't get robbed 

https://www.instagram.com/dj_kaye_/

08/17/2016 06:38 AM

Plan B

Joined Forum: 03/08/2004

Originally posted by: Aquaholic There are many small places that you can stay that are super cheap. When I go with my buds we stay along the main road in Christ Church. Just DO NOT leave anything in the room that you cant live without. If going with a female partner best bet is a resort on the west coast.$$$$ but much safer. Just remember when you are tooling around the cane fields in your rented mini moke, lost as hell, that all roads lead to Bathsheba. In November you could luck into some solid Soup Bowls. Usually something surfable somewhere there

Thanks.

Kinda what I was wondering...... found plenty of cheap VRBO type places in that area.  You think that's the best call?  I'm rollin solo (so there's something intriguing of being near the "action" if there's no surf), so I'm not worried about fancy, but not having stuff jacked while I'm surfing is key.

Not sure if I want to be away from the waves, as I can see myself driving across the island the whole time.

After a brief search, seems that a "moke" costs the same as an eco rent-a-car...... but that may also be web prices

Anyone ever catch PUMPING soup Bowls?

FORUMS : Surfing : Barbados

Topic Tools Topic Tools
Statistics
146495 users are registered to the 2nd Light Forums forum.
There are currently 3 users logged in to the forum.

FuseTalk Basic Edition - © 1999-2024 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.

First there was Air Jordan .