Hey Matt B ... How the hell o are you ??? :)

2nd Light Forums
Decrease font size
Increase font size
Topic Title: Mizata point, El Salvador this week
Topic Summary: This is what they call 3-4 ft
Created On: 08/07/2016 06:52 AM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
<< 1 2 Previous Last unread
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 08/09/2016 08:28 AM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Kimo63

Joined Forum: 04/22/2012

OK Plan B , it's the same as 3ft Rocky Point. Almost the same rocks too. It's only been 25 years since I lived there , but might be getting a house there again soon. The Taxes have gone way up on the North Shore and some nice houses are now available .
 08/09/2016 08:52 AM

CERTON

Joined Forum: 04/22/2011

nah, you just gotta know your spots for "frame of reference" and I've surfed this one a ton...  

if George was to call this anything other than 3-4 he'd lose credibility overstating the consistency of the overall conditions in his reports.  the report indicates solid chest high+ surf with bigger set waves (head high runners possible in this case), it's that simple.  there's a handful of local kids that are all about 4 foot tall surfing the point on a regular basis.  regardless, these two little guys in the pic (locals or not) are both leaning over and bent at the knees/waist making this wave head high at best even on the peak where it maxes out.       

my experience is surf spots that consistenly have good waves use a system that makes sense to represent the average overall conditions a surfer in the lineup should expect, as opposed to Florida where anything rideable sends the entire surfing community into a frenzy with every reporter trying to post a picture of the best set waves taken at just the right time and angle to justify the maximum trough to crest height according to a U.S. tape measure.  

that said, Mizata is a great right hand point that can line up for 300+ yards (measured w/ Rip Curl GPS) with some hollow sections given the right conditions.  Post more pics of the action if you get bored out there Steve...!  

also, it's one of the few rock bottoms that amplifies smaller swells making it the spot to be when it's not really working at other breaks nearby (locals know this and it can get crowded when it's the only one rideable).  And "tweeners" just to the west also right in front of the rooms has some immaculate oil slick A-frames every morning.

We've surfed it 1.5x this size easy (called anywhere from 5-8 to represent consistent head high to overhead+) and it can be really good, but any bigger than that (8-10+) it shuts down and gets washed out (or you drift East beyond the big rock in the bay and that's no bueno amigo!),,, so you go to Sunzal or Punta Roca where it's 8-10+ (solid) with rides you'll remember for a lifetime.  

btw, the comment from Plan B had me cracking up, since I've surfed Velzy when heaving hollow bombs have reformed after Phantoms outer reef unloads with guys towing in all over... meanwhile, Freddy's right next to us had the size and power of Typhoon Lagoon (which by the way, is 2-3 when they really crank it up bwaaaahahahahhaaa ). 

-------------------------
"Don't count the days, make the days count." -Ali
#rydyrstrong
 08/09/2016 09:08 AM

equipeola

Joined Forum: 12/17/2009

You know what it is too, the photog is elevated a bit on the shore shoot'n slightly downward, make'n it appear bigger, plus that section is a tad soft at the moment so snakee's like way down da bottom hope'n t'git around and smack'is buddy  with a kick it at'm!  

4'

ola ~

08/09/2016 09:16 AM

daner

Joined Forum: 04/20/2004

One day, when many of the more outside breaks were windblown, Freddy's being closer to the beach was a 6-8 ft perfect emerald green A frame. Not just the groms and visiting haoles were on it that day.

Replace turf grass with native plants that don't need irrigation and synthetic fertilizers or chemicals that can go into our waterways and ocean

08/09/2016 10:40 AM

Plan B

Joined Forum: 03/08/2004

Originally posted by: CERTON

btw, the comment from Plan B had me cracking up, since I've surfed Velzy when heaving hollow bombs have reformed after Phantoms outer reef unloads with guys towing in all over... meanwhile, Freddy's right next to us had the size and power of Typhoon Lagoon (which by the way, is 2-3 when they really crank it up bwaaaahahahahhaaa ). 

took this a long time ago. I was hanging onto a tree with one hand while trying to get this shot..... but the lighting was sick.. not sure if guys were towing that day

Kimo, that's awesome..... sooo expensive over there now.

08/09/2016 02:42 PM

Kimo63

Joined Forum: 04/22/2012

Plan B , hoping it will be paid for and maintained with family money. It's hard for anyone to afford the prices being asked these days. waterfront property is 2-3 million and that has 12 -18 thousand dollars in property taxes every year. I'll let you know if we get it.
 08/12/2016 01:44 PM

oipaul

Joined Forum: 12/06/2004

It's overhead. problem solved.
 08/13/2016 09:00 AM

TunnelVision

Joined Forum: 10/02/2003

Its all about the size of the swell. When it gets focused by a point, reef, submarine canyon, etc it gets bigger. Most places go with underlying swell size for measurement.
 08/13/2016 03:11 PM

CERTON

Joined Forum: 04/22/2011

Originally posted by: TunnelVision Its all about the size of the swell. When it gets focused by a point, reef, submarine canyon, etc it gets bigger. Most places go with underlying swell size for measurement.

it might seem that way in some cases, but as a rule this is not true in my experience.

ie, a 3ft@12s swell is not even close to 3ft@20s on the reports, especially at breaks where the deep running energy gets focused and then depth changes abruptly.

"Don't count the days, make the days count." -Ali
#rydyrstrong
 08/14/2016 05:21 AM

Plan B

Originally posted by: Kimo63 Plan B , hoping it will be paid for and maintained with family money. It's hard for anyone to afford the prices being asked these days. waterfront property is 2-3 million and that has 12 -18 thousand dollars in property taxes every year. I'll let you know if we get it.

Will you adopt me??  These days a 3/2 total "fixer upper" not on the beach on the North Shore goes for about 750K 

08/14/2016 02:39 PM

SCshredmachine

Joined Forum: 01/04/2016

id say about 6ft.

08/16/2016 02:32 PM

artz

Joined Forum: 10/30/2014

A long time ago I gave up on measuring waves in feet.  Knee slapers waist high chest High, head high, Over head overhead plus. 2 times OH, 3 times OH and last is;

Oh Shit I need a Bigger board.  

08/18/2016 10:41 AM

Plan B

best post in this thread right there......

08/18/2016 10:46 AM

oipaul

Joined Forum: 12/06/2004

Originally posted by: artz A long time ago I gave up on measuring waves in feet.  Knee slapers waist high chest High, head high, Over head overhead plus. 2 times OH, 3 times OH and last is;

Oh Shit I need a Bigger board.  

not going out, fun size, might go out, NOT going out!
FORUMS : Surfing : Mizata point, El Salvador this week

<< 1 2 Previous Last unread
Topic Tools Topic Tools
Statistics
146499 users are registered to the 2nd Light Forums forum.
There are currently 1 users logged in to the forum.

FuseTalk Basic Edition - © 1999-2024 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.

First there was Air Jordan .