Hey Matt B ... How the hell o are you ??? :)

2nd Light Forums
Decrease font size
Increase font size
Topic Title: Aug/Sept Issue of Surfer Magazine: Sebastian Inlet Obituary
Topic Summary:
Created On: 06/30/2016 07:08 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
<< 1 2 Previous Last unread
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 07/05/2016 04:30 AM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

LBLarry

Joined Forum: 05/25/2004

Cause
after the new jetty was complete

Effect
The outer sandbars to the E and NE have grown and spread. Affecting those small/mid sized E and ESE swells that wedged up so nicely

-------------------------
"Most people would die sooner than think; in fact, they do." - Bertrand Russell

"Morality is doing what is right, regardless of what you are told. Religion is doing what you are told, regardless of what is right.

If I do not answer you .... nothing personal, I just have you on ignore.
 07/05/2016 04:57 AM

matt_t

Joined Forum: 10/21/2003

Tunnel and LB Larry make excellent points. definitely a cause / effect situation.
I think adding all those cubic tons of sand helped accelerate the changes. Especially the channel dredging.
Inlets in general are very dynamic.. many factors to consider. The way it breaks this yr will be different than how it will break 10 yrs from now. We all seem to agree it breaks much different from 10 yrs. ago.

Still fun though.. I think using the "Obituary" term is a bit dramatic. But then again, Surfer needs that click bait.

Too bad the crowds did not read the obituary.

07/05/2016 05:37 AM

LBLarry

For those of you that have/use facebook ...... checkout the before and after pics posted by "Jim Allison" on The East Coast Hall of Fame's fb page.

..... sorry, I am to lazy and busy this morning to upload the pics to a web based host just so I can post them on this page.

"Morality is doing what is right, regardless of what you are told. Religion is doing what you are told, regardless of what is right.

Edited: 07/05/2016 at 06:19 AM by LBLarry
 07/05/2016 07:19 AM

crankit

Joined Forum: 07/30/2003

On special early days we would catch the rebound wave and backside the wedge peak, haven't seen that happen in many years!

Romans 8;18-32 John 3;16-18
 07/05/2016 07:48 AM

jdbman

Joined Forum: 07/28/2003

On special early days we would catch the rebound wave and backside the wedge peak, haven't seen that happen in many years!

Crawdaddy would switch stance and front side them both. Doug Wright could do that too.!!

So if you are a surfer I wish you the prosperity that allows you more time to pursue the salt water dream, and the true happiness that comes from warm water, clean waves and the companionship of your fellow surfers. If you are an internet troll just spewing bs then f off.
 07/05/2016 09:33 AM

Zeus

Joined Forum: 07/25/2003

Pete is right It was better back then

07/05/2016 10:48 AM

daner

Joined Forum: 04/20/2004

It may not have the bounce or the wedge of days gone by but still breaks world class for small waves.

This was uploaded in 2011. Not sure the exact date shot.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fejUro5EWJ8

Replace turf grass with native plants that don't need irrigation and synthetic fertilizers or chemicals that can go into our waterways and ocean

07/05/2016 02:26 PM

TunnelVision

Joined Forum: 10/02/2003

Originally posted by: Zeus Pete is right It was better back then

Nice historic video, but doesnt really do it justice. I remember days 10 times as good as that video. First peak had a real barrel on good days. The short jetty created a real nice wedge that you just dont get with extended jetties like the current one, or Ponce for example.
 07/05/2016 02:28 PM

TunnelVision

Joined Forum: 10/02/2003

Originally posted by: daner It may not have the bounce or the wedge of days gone by but still breaks world class for small waves. This was uploaded in 2011. Not sure the exact date shot. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fejUro5EWJ8
That Hartley barrel was sick
 07/05/2016 03:42 PM

matt_t

Joined Forum: 10/21/2003

Originally posted by: TunnelVision

Originally posted by: Zeus

Pete is right It was better back then

Nice historic video, but doesnt really do it justice. I remember days 10 times as good as that video. First peak had a real barrel on good days. The short jetty created a real nice wedge that you just dont get with extended jetties like the current one, or Ponce for example.

Pretty sure all that footage is post 2002 jetty rebuild.

Best I ever saw it was 1995-1996. I remember one Late fall day in 1996. Slab takeoff waaay out in front of the tip of the jetty. Only 2 or 3 people out. Hartley was in form and put on a clinic for the few of us who were out. I've never seen it break that far out again.
 07/05/2016 06:29 PM

LBLarry

Originally posted by: jdbman

Crawdaddy would switch stance and front side them both. Doug Wright could do that too.!!

Been there, seen that many a time!

FORUMS : Surfing : Aug/Sept Issue of Surfer Magazine: Sebastian Inlet...

<< 1 2 Previous Last unread
Topic Tools Topic Tools
Statistics
146495 users are registered to the 2nd Light Forums forum.
There are currently 3 users logged in to the forum.

FuseTalk Basic Edition - © 1999-2024 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.

First there was Air Jordan .