Hey Matt B ... How the hell o are you ??? :)

2nd Light Forums
Decrease font size
Increase font size
Topic Title: Best Sunscreen for surfing
Topic Summary:
Created On: 06/08/2016 06:29 AM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
<< 1 2 3 4 5 6 Previous Next Last unread
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 06/08/2016 10:29 AM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

RegularJoe

Joined Forum: 11/20/2011

I grew to hate the Bullfrog and love the Aloe Gator. I found Aloe Gator at the Paradise Pools store on Wickham Rd. in Melbourne not too long ago.

A number of sunscreens are getting a bad rap (Neutrogena and CVS brands ring a bell, iirc) for endocrine-disrupting chemicals like oxybenzone and similar.

Endocrine disruptors mimic human hormones, and if similar to estrogen, could have undesirable effects on your body.

https://www.ewg.org/sunscreen/...h-sunscreen-chemicals/
Oxybenzone
 06/08/2016 10:53 AM

big rick

Joined Forum: 02/20/2005

Aloe Gator is pretty gangster ^^^

never get burned with this, never feel oily, never have issues with the
bottle bursting open in a hot car and spilling all over the place

found it at neilsons surf shop recently
the lady next door had got it for me since i got there before the shop
opened, it was $15, i had a $20 bill, i just said have them keep it

i'm sure i'll have to get wax from them one day.

-------------------------
hey, i don't know if you read this yet ----------> I <3 16streets.com

thank you Sean O'hare

Delicious beer comes from here
 06/08/2016 11:42 AM

thetracker

Joined Forum: 03/30/2008

Trust me that badger is the way to go, only non nano particle zinc as the sunblock ingredient and only a few other natural ingredients. Works better than any I've tried and can stay on for a while too

06/08/2016 12:48 PM

nsbkook

Joined Forum: 12/07/2011

I'm a fan of titanium and zinc oxide too, but most of the stuff you read about chemical sunscreens being harmful is at best dubious misinformation put out by activists organizations like the Environmental Working Group, and at worst harmful scaremongering.

More information about the Environmental Working Group and their sketchy science regarding chemical sunscreens:

EWG fact check

And the Skin Cancer Foundation's response to the EWG:

http://www.skincancer.org/medi...elease-2015/ewg

06/08/2016 01:05 PM

psydlady

Joined Forum: 07/01/2015

Hands down, Aloe Gator.  A little goes a long way and it lasts hours.  Never been burned using it, even 3-4 hours in the water. 

"The best surfer out there is the one having the most fun."
~Phil Edwards
 06/08/2016 01:27 PM

ThrillaGorilla

Joined Forum: 06/08/2016

For those that like Aloe Gator, are you naturally tan people. My friends that like it are the type that barely need sunscreen.  I on the other hand burn like a mofo anytime I use it.  

06/08/2016 01:50 PM

stokedpanda

Joined Forum: 09/04/2015

Vertra is sick, really expensive doe, sunscreen is like a boat:

the only thing better than having sunscreen is having a friend who has sunscreen!

I troll 2L.com to be a better person in real life
 06/08/2016 01:52 PM

skatensurf

Joined Forum: 09/28/2006

i just wear a t shirt, problem solved
 06/08/2016 02:13 PM

stokedpanda

Joined Forum: 09/04/2015

MOST t shirts are only 15spf or less when wet....and are 99% INEFFECTIVE against nose, lip, ear, forehead, cheek, other ear, and neck related skin cancer.

I troll 2L.com to be a better person in real life
 06/08/2016 02:45 PM
User is online View Users Profile Print this message

Cole

Joined Forum: 07/22/2003

Thanks Rick, I'll go by Neilson's and get some.

I was right.
 06/08/2016 04:39 PM

Tiptime

Joined Forum: 07/24/2003

You all are leaving one major sun protection topic out--THE EYE's!!! Eye & Eyelid cancer Cover your eyes people!!!

The Wavecaster
 06/08/2016 04:53 PM

onebuck

Joined Forum: 01/27/2008

Originally posted by: Tiptime You all are leaving one major sun protection topic out--THE EYE's!!! Eye & Eyelid cancer Cover your eyes people!!!

get em pawpaw...... 

06/08/2016 06:43 PM

satbch

Joined Forum: 09/19/2006

Originally posted by: Waverider969 Oh and that stuff Satbch recomended on Amazon link above  its $29 thats pricey huh

It's a little expensive but it lasts a long time. I only use it on my face, ears and neck. It doesn't burn my eyes and I am prone to discomfort with almost all other sunscreens. As I said in my first message I have been using it for over a year and I just started my second bottle. Three trips to Central America in the last 12 months. Believe me, I surf more than most people on this forum and I spend a lot of money trying to find good products that allow me to surf longer. I found out about the product from Consumer Reports, so I wasn't quite sure if it would work well for surfing but I've been super pleased with the results. I've used all the products mentioned previously by my fellow posters and while I've found the aloe gator (children's) works pretty damn well it doesn't compare to what I'm using now.
 06/08/2016 06:51 PM

fredman

Joined Forum: 06/12/2010

Originally posted by: nsbkook I'm a fan of titanium and zinc oxide too, but most of the stuff you read about chemical sunscreens being harmful is at best dubious misinformation put out by activists organizations like the Environmental Working Group, and at worst harmful scaremongering. More information about the Environmental Working Group and their sketchy science regarding chemical sunscreens: EWG fact check And the Skin Cancer Foundation's response to the EWG: [L=">http://www.skincancer.org/medi...elease-2015/ewg ]http://www.skincancer.org/media-and-press/press-release-2015/ewg 

Interesting stuff in that first link; the second link didn't work for me.  I'm not going to put too much effort into it, but the writing style of the article in the first link didn't inspire complete confidence -- I wonder who is behind that article.

Regardless, perhaps the better reason to choose a sunscreen without oxybenzone (a common ingredient in chemical sunscreens) is because of the damage it does (as in scientifically studied by real scientists damage -- google it) to coral reefs.  

And even if I happen to be nowhere near a coral reef (not the case in South Florida), I'm not buying that stuff because I want it off the shelves everywhere.  And the more a product is purchased, the more it will be stocked by stores that either don't know or don't care about the damage to reefs.

Adding this to the list of won't buy: I also won't buy any sunscreen product from any company that also offers a spray sunscreen.  Besides the fact that you still have to rub it in which negates the convenience of the spray, I know (without needing a scientific study to tell me) that I don't want that stuff in my lungs, which is what happens when you inhale the mist from it.  And I get ornery when someone applies that stuff upwind from me -- even more ornery if the stuff is sprayed upwind from my kid.  

Edited: 06/09/2016 at 05:07 AM by fredman
 06/08/2016 07:01 PM

CoastieJim

Joined Forum: 11/10/2012

From the king of Irish Tans - Headhunter (stick for nose) - never an issue.

www.JimKnowsBeachHomes.com 

06/08/2016 07:25 PM

sillysalt

Joined Forum: 05/19/2004

I was on the Bullfrog for over 20 years, but recently switched to Aloe Gator topped with Headhunter stick (like a small deodorant stick) on my nose and under my eyes. Last long and no burning, way better than Bullfrog...

Who needs a better life?
 06/08/2016 08:10 PM

Ragga P

Joined Forum: 03/14/2006

Originally posted by: waterlizard25

Two Words       AloeGator

Nothing betta!

photo IMG_3156.jpg
 06/09/2016 06:07 AM

surfinwasatch

Joined Forum: 05/23/2007

Headhunters. I have used all of the ones mentioned and prefer heasdhunters latest spf 50 light brown tint
 06/09/2016 11:06 AM

CERTON

Joined Forum: 04/22/2011

This stuff kept my face/lips burn free (without the zinc war paint look or any burning in my eyes) for multi-hour sessions at Ollie's... It's been my go to sun protection ever since and I use it on the kids' faces too.

Headhunters for any other exposed areas works well for extended periods of time and not too oily.

"Don't count the days, make the days count." -Ali
#rydyrstrong
 06/09/2016 11:50 AM

Lounge-A-Rama

Joined Forum: 07/24/2003

Naked Bee

Life is a garden*Dig it!
FORUMS : Surfing : Best Sunscreen for surfing

<< 1 2 3 4 5 6 Previous Next Last unread
Topic Tools Topic Tools
Statistics
146495 users are registered to the 2nd Light Forums forum.
There are currently 3 users logged in to the forum.

FuseTalk Basic Edition - © 1999-2024 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.

First there was Air Jordan .