Hey Matt B ... How the hell o are you ??? :)

2nd Light Forums
Decrease font size
Increase font size
Topic Title: "Pope Bisect" travel boards. Do they work. Anyone have one?
Topic Summary: traveling to China and Vietnam next month, need travel board
Created On: 06/03/2016 07:59 AM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
1 2 Next Last unread
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 06/03/2016 07:59 AM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

nsbkook

Joined Forum: 12/07/2011

Folks,

Tell me about these "pope bisect" boards that split in half and fit in what looks like regular size luggage. Do they work half decently?

I'll be in China and Vietnam next month, and I hope to get to the Gulf of Tonkin and do some surfing, perhaps in Nha Trang, VN or Behai, PRC.

I don't know how easily I could find a surfboard there, and I'm not hassling with a boardbag and all that. Trying to travel relatively light.

A board that splits in half might be just the ticket.
 06/03/2016 08:54 AM

theslasher

Joined Forum: 06/16/2008

I have seen 3! everyone was having trouble! it could be iorned out by now this was 10 years ago!

06/04/2016 01:38 PM

ww

Joined Forum: 08/17/2007

I have an ancient Harbour 10' that's attractive but never really used.  Easier just to put something else in or on the car.  Now that I'm excluded from stand-up by dizziness (missed a good chance for a kneeboard), it needs to go.  It might even be a good museum piece.  I admit it's clever but did stock up on spare parts when they were available.  Would be happy to set up a test day.

06/04/2016 03:38 PM

surfguysmb

Joined Forum: 02/15/2010

Originally posted by: nsbkook Folks, Tell me about these "pope bisect" boards that split in half and fit in what looks like regular size luggage. Do they work half decently? I'll be in China and Vietnam next month, and I hope to get to the Gulf of Tonkin and do some surfing, perhaps in Nha Trang, VN or Behai, PRC. I don't know how easily I could find a surfboard there, and I'm not hassling with a boardbag and all that. Trying to travel relatively light. A board that splits in half might be just the ticket.

I sold them at Longboard House 1999 to my customers who didn't want to pay the cost per board by the airlines. The idea was to get it by the costs of flying by airline. I did have to repair those boards because of some issues with the plastic flange that was placed in both sections of the blank that was but in half. The board has an aluminum tube that helps with the structral integreity but the board does flex more than a traditional board. I did put one of them in a Bell helicopter for my customer, but had to take it out of the bag to make it fit. Rich Harbour and Yater did some boards for Pope at that time, not sure who else di it. Good for the travel cost, but maybe not so much for the ride. Just my profressional take.

06/04/2016 04:54 PM

hsilio

Joined Forum: 09/15/2003

The company folded a few years back and has reemerged recently under new ownership and name(Pope Bisect is now North Shore Travel Boards, but still available). I had a pal own a nice wayne rich stealth model 10 years ago and while the shape performed well, that hardware was plagued by issues and of course, was very difficult and not to mention expensive and difficult to get the replacement parts. Also, they are not exempt from oversize bag charges as the halves are nearly 5' lengths. But it sure was a cool board, carbon fiber, hollow, and Wayne Rich is a really good designer/shaper. Now, in my opinion, what is way better and even more convenient than a bisect are inflatable boards made by ULI. Fold it and stick it in your luggage along with the pump. Surfs just like a regular board. You must order it with the optional hard rubber edge glued on called the wiki rail to get the nice edge otherwise the rubber construction gives you a 50/50 rail with no edge control. I have one and it suits the purpose, travel, go surf with no hassle AND have no oversize baggage charges. No need for racks, crazy stares/no help from taxis baggage guys, no board dings all the issues of lugging around a board etc. The rubber is supper resistant to puncture as I run mine on barnacles, oyster beds and rocks all the time. But it does come with a repair kit for the issue if it occurs. They have improved the designs since the drive through japan movie in case you saw one used there. And even in that flick where they used one as a joke, it actually performed well without the hard edge Additionally Dan Smith at Paddling Paradise on Eau Gallie in Melbourne can get them for you at a better price than directly from the factory. ULI 7'6" Dan Smith's Paddling Paradise btw I have no stock or interests in the company, just a really happy customer
 06/04/2016 06:38 PM

dingpatch

Joined Forum: 07/24/2003

Remember to take plenty of surf related swag to use as trade. You may not have to worry about taking a board with you if you can trade the use of a local's for a choice Florida surfing tee. A good supply of surf manufacture stickers will make you a number 1 Yankee surfer.

-------------------------
Dora Hates You

Edited: 06/04/2016 at 07:10 PM by dingpatch
 06/05/2016 12:02 PM

nsbkook

Originally posted by: dingpatch

Remember to take plenty of surf related swag to use as trade. You may not have to worry about taking a board with you if you can trade the use of a local's for a choice Florida surfing tee. A good supply of surf manufacture stickers will make you a number 1 Yankee surfer.

Time to stock up on Ron Jon tees! definitely want to be number 1 yankee and not number 10.

Reminds me of when I was in Berlin when the wall came down and I traded an "I skate for Jerry's kid's tee shirt" and an assortment of thrift store levis and adidas to an East German border guard for literally his entire uniform. From his cap right down to his leather jack boots.
 06/05/2016 12:05 PM

nsbkook

Originally posted by: hsilio

Now, in my opinion, what is way better and even more convenient than a bisect are inflatable boards made by ULI. Fold it and stick it in your luggage along with the pump. Surfs just like a regular board. You must order it with the optional hard rubber edge glued on called the wiki rail to get the nice edge otherwise the rubber construction gives you a 50/50 rail with no edge control. I have one and it suits the purpose, travel, go surf with no hassle AND have no oversize baggage charges.
Additionally Dan Smith at Paddling Paradise on Eau Gallie in Melbourne can get them for you at a better price than directly from the factory.
ULI 7'6"
Dan Smith's Paddling Paradise
btw I have no stock or interests in the company, just a really happy customer

I'll have to check into that option! Any chance I could demo yours?
 06/06/2016 01:42 PM

FREDDYMAC

Joined Forum: 04/11/2013

WW

Can you send me some pics of that Harbour?

I might be interested

Thanks,

06/07/2016 01:09 AM

ww

I'll be back on Friday and can do pictures or find an old one then.  It's a typical Harbour shape, white, looking a bit odd because of the line across the middle.

06/07/2016 02:24 AM

SpinK

Joined Forum: 07/22/2003

Originally posted by: nsbkook

Originally posted by: hsilio

Now, in my opinion, what is way better and even more convenient than a bisect are inflatable boards made by ULI. Fold it and stick it in your luggage along with the pump. Surfs just like a regular board. You must order it with the optional hard rubber edge glued on called the wiki rail to get the nice edge otherwise the rubber construction gives you a 50/50 rail with no edge control. I have one and it suits the purpose, travel, go surf with no hassle AND have no oversize baggage charges.

Additionally Dan Smith at Paddling Paradise on Eau Gallie in Melbourne can get them for you at a better price than directly from the factory.

ULI 7'6"

Dan Smith's Paddling Paradise

btw I have no stock or interests in the company, just a really happy customer

I'll have to check into that option! Any chance I could demo yours?

Doubt it. hsilio lives in Okinawa

-------------------------
 06/07/2016 05:52 PM

hsilio

Joined Forum: 09/15/2003

yes, sorry, not local for most of the year.. Last time I was in his shop, Dan Smith had one or two to try out behind his shop. Paddling paradise on US just south of Eau GAllie on one of the side rivers there
 06/08/2016 08:40 AM

artz

Joined Forum: 10/30/2014

Takea  good look around Da Nang for old classic longboards. My guess would be nobody bothered with shipping them back when they di di mauded from the R and R camp China Beach.

06/08/2016 12:51 PM

nsbkook

Originally posted by: artz

Takea  good look around Da Nang for old classic longboards. My guess would be nobody bothered with shipping them back when they di di mauded from the R and R camp China Beach.

But Charlie don't surf!
 06/10/2016 10:10 AM

FREDDYMAC

any pics yet?

06/10/2016 12:08 PM

ww

Here's a starter.  I think the rest will go to Flickr.  

ff

a

06/10/2016 12:22 PM

FREDDYMAC

looks great.

How old is it?

How much do you want for it?

I have 2 other Harbours and love them!

06/10/2016 01:10 PM

ww

Here's a little Flickr album.  You will note that the rear upper surface, mostly right foot side, shows use, and I need to provide more photos showing assorted blemishes.  It's 1999 or later, I'm guessing from the signature, likely 2010.   Obviously a well made board, but it might be worth evaluating its condition.  I don't think there's any kind of market to determine a good price.  Maybe $450 or so?  

06/12/2016 07:01 AM

FREDDYMAC

WW thanks for the pics....Yes I can see the large area of heelies....

Too bad!!!Have you surfed this board? Have you had this board for a longtime? Still interested...where are you located?

06/12/2016 08:48 AM

ww

I've had it at least 10 years; quickly decided it was a better idea to get a plump 10' Surftech and put it atop the car.  Over the past 5 years, increasing problems with dizziness when popping up have pretty much consigned me to prone.  I should have taken up a good chance to obtain a kneeboard.  

I think I did a good job of showing off those heel marks.  The first owner was clearly not switch-foot.  I think some small areas showing tiny cracks should be assessed for repair.  Otherwise, it should be usable but not a prime specimen.  For its time, it was indeed a clever invention.  

I'm in Vero Beach.  Would be happy to drive up with the big "presentation case" and play with it at a beach.  I'm expecting to come up to Cocoa Beach Friday afternoon.  

Statistics
146499 users are registered to the 2nd Light Forums forum.
There are currently 0 users logged in to the forum.

FuseTalk Basic Edition - © 1999-2024 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.

First there was Air Jordan .