Hey Matt B ... How the hell o are you ??? :)

2nd Light Forums
Decrease font size
Increase font size
Topic Title: Best Playalinda Session?
Topic Summary: we all should have one
Created On: 05/24/2016 05:50 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
1 2 3 Next Last unread
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 05/24/2016 05:50 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

surf4earth

Joined Forum: 06/07/2012

Anyone who is lucky enough to know just how good Playalinda can get (with minimal crowd) probably has an awesome story to tell about scoring perfection alone, or with some close friends. I've hit it 7-8 foot perfection all morning with no one out but me and 4 good friends... I think it is in contention for best break on the east coast (size,shape,crowd,water temp,nature). Someone tell me some cool facts and knowledge on Playalinda if you can!

-------------------------

Going left

05/24/2016 06:55 PM

colesurfin

Joined Forum: 03/30/2010

Playalinda sucks!! Just a bunch old naked dudes and big sharks!!

05/24/2016 08:31 PM

Julianuribe23

Joined Forum: 05/21/2012

Hurricane Leslie. All I'm gonna say

05/25/2016 03:05 AM

sharkey

Joined Forum: 01/07/2009

Oh, YES on Les!

Days of it, too.

05/25/2016 05:05 AM

wehorde

Joined Forum: 08/26/2004

Been many years, probably scored some of my best Florida surf there. Used to be a rock reservoir / spring area we would hit on the way out. Spend an hour swimming, goofing around.

Worst thing I ever read - "No tropical cyclones at this time"
 05/25/2016 05:09 AM

tom

Joined Forum: 07/25/2003

In addition to having the worst bathrooms,

the biggest horseflies,

numerous and friendly sharks,

it's also one of the most awesome natural beaches left,

had amazing sandbars,

and sucks.

(where's Hippy when ya need him?)

fighting the crowd...

small

add a signature since I'm here in profile anyway

Edited: 05/25/2016 at 05:19 AM by tom

bersmall.jpg
bersmall.jpg  (168 KB)
 05/25/2016 05:36 AM

miker

Joined Forum: 04/05/2010

Wind had been perfect all day with head high swell but was stuck surfing my desk. Drove out the north gate after work and over to Playalinda. Caught a bunch of long peeling waves for an hour or so.

Just before sunset, I am sitting next to a couple of guys talking while waiting for a set to come in when the color drains completely out of the face of one of the guys as his eyes fixate on something past me while talking to me. He says something I didnt quite understand and both him and the other guy start paddling in like crazy.

I turn my head just in time to see a massive dark shape coming at me fast, maybe 10ft away from me. It looked to be  3-4ft across and 12-15ft long, cant be more specific because I was too concerned about staying alive than measuring it. Anyways, I pulled my legs up out of the water and tried to balance on top of my board the best I could with my knees on the deck without falling off.

Whatever the hell it was passed underneath me, never touching me, and had enough mass and power that its tail wake upended me into the water. I did a mad scrabble to get back on my board and went straight into the beach as fast as I could.

Best playalinda session for me, because I didnt get eaten.

05/25/2016 06:18 AM

CERTON

Joined Forum: 04/22/2011

Playalinda was our go to spot during UCF college days, so many good sessions sorry no details it was 2000 B.C. ago... We even did one down at the end with all the naked codgers just for the total experience. Once... Epic ??

"Don't count the days, make the days count." -Ali
#rydyrstrong
 05/25/2016 07:10 AM

RegularJoe

Joined Forum: 11/20/2011

Had my first surf session there, and first/only surf-related ER visit from there.

Too many fun sessions to count, but one late-70's mid-size hurricane dawn patrol with a giant manta ray is particularly memorable.

That and a frigid stand-up January barrel on my funshape.

And lots of playing "dodge the giant horse-fly" and "get the no-see-ums out of my car and out of my arm cast."
 05/25/2016 07:54 AM

LBLarry

Joined Forum: 05/25/2004

Originally posted by: RegularJoe

Had my first surf session there, and first/only surf-related ER visit from there.

Too many fun sessions to count, but one late-70's mid-size hurricane dawn patrol with a giant manta ray is particularly memorable.

That and a frigid stand-up January barrel on my funshape.

And lots of playing "dodge the giant horse-fly" and "get the no-see-ums out of my car and out of my arm cast."

Their was one as big as a VW that hung out there for years!!

Pretty Beach is a bit of a fickle lady. She needs a long'ish period NE groundswell, low / incoming tide and SW winds to show her best form. But when the ingredients come together ..... she is the best beach break south of the OBX.

"Most people would die sooner than think; in fact, they do." - Bertrand Russell

"Morality is doing what is right, regardless of what you are told. Religion is doing what you are told, regardless of what is right.

If I do not answer you .... nothing personal, I just have you on ignore.
 05/25/2016 08:48 AM

Wedgefield

Joined Forum: 12/18/2003

Have been bull-horned out of the water by armed soldiers more than a cpl times at dusk. Fickle as hell (as already mentioned), but the 5% perfection slot will make you feel like you went out of country. +1 on the giant rays there, have seen them mating belly-to-belly in the shallows numerous times there.
 05/25/2016 08:52 AM

Greensleeves

Joined Forum: 07/22/2003

A couple of years back.  Several on here will know what I am referencing.  Started on a Tuesday and culminated with a Saturday and Sunday of perfection.  Normally barely anyone is surfing (for good reasons above and below) and while there are good surfers there on those particular days really good surfers started showing up.  Barrels up and down the beach with people in them for a change.  I got several nice tubes.  It was flawless. 

Been chasing those days ever since.  Honestly I have not scored it close to as good as it used to be in a while.   It is so fickle there.  Any side shore in the wind and it gets a good solid current and messes up what can be a hollow wave.  It's weird with tides and it's sand so the bottom is always changing.  And as for the critters the horse flies can hold on through a duckdive, the no seeums can carry children away...   

05/25/2016 09:10 AM

Julianuribe23

Originally posted by: Wedgefield Have been bull-horned out of the water by armed soldiers more than a cpl times at dusk.
that NE swell drift will get you

05/25/2016 09:35 AM

RegularJoe

Joined Forum: 11/20/2011

Originally posted by: LBLarry
She needs a long'ish period NE groundswell, low / incoming tide and SW winds to show her best form.

I was not there on Halloween of '91, but I saw photos. Legendary!
 05/25/2016 09:44 AM

surfmcc32

Joined Forum: 11/11/2009

only surfed it once, big tuesday during the 13 day swell we had in September 2015. head hi-overhead barrells and clean as can be

05/25/2016 11:41 AM

Wedgefield

Joined Forum: 12/18/2003

Originally posted by: Julianuribe23
Originally posted by: Wedgefield Have been bull-horned out of the water by armed soldiers more than a cpl times at dusk.
that NE swell drift will get you [IMG][/IMG]
Not because of drifting south. Because they want to close the gates at dark and cannot if you are still in the water....
 05/25/2016 12:27 PM

HIPPY1

Joined Forum: 02/19/2004

And here it comes!!!!!!!!!>>......................................... ................... ........................ PLAYALINDA SUCKS!!!!!!

It's not how big the wave is! It's how you surf it!

Primus sucks!
PLayalinda sucks!!!!

GO BRONCOS!!

The #1 cause of accidental death 4 yrs and younger is drowning!! 407-855-SAFE!!! infantswim.com
 05/25/2016 12:42 PM

foam ball

Joined Forum: 06/01/2005

Lots of big sharks, naked dudes, mosquitos, horse flies the size of small birds, limited park hours, entry fee, and deep sandbars. It sucks....... save your money and go somewhere else.
 05/25/2016 12:55 PM

Julianuribe23

Originally posted by: foam ball Lots of big sharks, naked dudes, mosquitos, horse flies the size of small birds, limited park hours, entry fee, and deep sandbars. It sucks....... save your money and go somewhere else.
lots of hungry, curious gamefish too... Stay away 

05/25/2016 02:56 PM

Lokahi

Joined Forum: 08/12/2010

FORUMS : Surfing : Best Playalinda Session?

1 2 3 Next Last unread
Topic Tools Topic Tools
Statistics
146498 users are registered to the 2nd Light Forums forum.
There are currently 2 users logged in to the forum.

FuseTalk Basic Edition - © 1999-2024 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.

First there was Air Jordan .