Hey Matt B ... How the hell o are you ??? :)

2nd Light Forums
Decrease font size
Increase font size
Topic Title: WSL buys KS Wave Co
Topic Summary: It's happening...
Created On: 05/24/2016 04:39 AM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
1 2 Next Last unread
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 05/24/2016 04:39 AM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

CERTON

Joined Forum: 04/22/2011

"This is not to replace anything in surfing; it's just to be a supplement to surfing." Ke11y

CLICK ME

-------------------------
"Don't count the days, make the days count." -Ali
#rydyrstrong
 05/24/2016 04:58 AM

stashy4

Joined Forum: 03/20/2006

Sounds like they are going to make it a training facility
 05/24/2016 05:27 AM

theslasher

Joined Forum: 06/16/2008

funny I thought the owner of the WSL was the main money in the kswm? ahhh what do I know! sure would love to surf it though!

05/24/2016 05:27 AM

miker

Joined Forum: 04/05/2010

I mean, I've definitely thought that it'd be awesome if everyone had one of these within driving distance of their house. Especially in a place like Florida where we get flat spells for months. To have two or three along the Florida coast, or even inland Florida so guys could drive from the Gulf, too. If you had one in South Florida, one in Orlando, and one in North Florida, somewhere in the central part of the state, it would kind of allow almost everyone in the state to get there within a couple hours.

05/24/2016 06:04 AM

consultrelkins@hotmail.com

Joined Forum: 11/17/2006

............................ http://www.msn.com/en-us/money...Rln?ocid=ansmsnmoney11 Kelly dodges a Bayer take over. LOL. Stoked he took this route. Lets go surfing pool or beach, so proud of Kelly. Holy smokes well played. Slater surfs perfect heats in busn too.
 05/24/2016 06:36 AM

johnnyboy

Joined Forum: 07/22/2003

This would clear the last impediment to making surfing an Olympic event. This could be the reproducible competitive wave on demand that could make competitions possible anywhere at any time. This will happen.

"One of the reasons why propaganda tries to get you to hate government is because it's the one existing institution in which people can participate to some extent and constrain tyrannical unaccountable power." Noam Chomsky.

05/24/2016 06:44 AM

artz

Joined Forum: 10/30/2014

In The Surf Line artical Kelly talked about at least 3 wave pools in Florida. One in South Florida one around Orlando and one in North Florida.  I am pretty sure that he would not be saying anything unless some deals were already in the works.  Most likly land has already been perchased on the QT.

05/24/2016 08:23 AM

sharkey

Joined Forum: 01/07/2009

Point those suckers toward the Atlantic and our trades are offshores at the park!

Can't wait!

05/24/2016 09:25 AM

miker

Joined Forum: 04/05/2010

05/24/2016 10:08 AM

johnnyboy

Joined Forum: 07/22/2003

I want a 50 second tube. I wish Kelly would have said that yes, it will never be the same as the ocean, and in that regard its like sex with yourself. Its not as good but its still good, and lets face it, some of you inlanders don't have any other options.

"One of the reasons why propaganda tries to get you to hate government is because it's the one existing institution in which people can participate to some extent and constrain tyrannical unaccountable power." Noam Chomsky.

05/24/2016 12:09 PM

worksuxgetsponsered

Joined Forum: 01/19/2005

it will never be the same as the ocean

Who cares, I'd surf a bathtub full of fecal water for a 50 second tube.....isgust;

Specializing in sarcasm and condescending rhetoric since 1971.
 05/25/2016 05:43 AM

HBrandNSB

Joined Forum: 03/16/2004

Great so that means they will build them for pro surfers only to train on and we get screwed. I hope not, but thats what it sounds like.
 05/25/2016 07:17 AM

SurferMic

Joined Forum: 06/30/2012

How much you willing to pay for wave? The Goon usually breaks doiwn to about $10 a wave, not worth it of course (just a novelty to try).

05/25/2016 07:32 AM

stokedpanda

Joined Forum: 09/04/2015

I sat about three feet from the wall, got in early and backdoor-ed a split peak at the goon, and got a .5 second shack! Worth it IMO

I troll 2L.com to be a better person in real life
 05/26/2016 04:02 AM

CERTON

Joined Forum: 04/22/2011

I can't help but think it would have been really cool for Ke11y to give away the secret recipe for this "perfect" wave so anyone could make one that had the resources and agreed to the "open source" rules for sharing and improving the technology.

He may not have had the choice with so many others involved in the development, just a thought.

The goon is $1-$2 per second for an inferior wave, so you do the math on a 50 second ride in 6' glass with long tooooob sections.

"Don't count the days, make the days count." -Ali
#rydyrstrong
 05/28/2016 05:29 AM

dingpatch

Joined Forum: 07/24/2003

KSWC has posted a new video with some WSL execs and surfers; there is talk of "where-ever" it's built and "tour". From all of the "slosh and wash" left behind the wave, it looks like at least 5 minutes between waves (not counting what-ever the mechanical reset time it).

Dora Hates You
 05/28/2016 12:17 PM

RegularJoe

Joined Forum: 11/20/2011

Originally posted by: CERTON
I can't help but think it would have been really cool for Ke11y to give away the secret recipe for this "perfect" wave so anyone could make one that had the resources and agreed to the "open source" rules for sharing and improving the technology.

I don't know how many patents have been filed or will be filed, but they can always be challenged or worked around.

Originally posted by: dingpatch
From all of the "slosh and wash" left behind the wave, it looks like at least 5 minutes between waves (not counting what-ever the mechanical reset time it).

The prime objective (demonstrating a quality wave) has been demonstrated. The slosh and reset times are secondary problems. The solutions are more of an economic challenge than a technical one.
 05/28/2016 12:42 PM

dingpatch

Joined Forum: 07/24/2003

Yes, I think that the "slosh and wash" is systemic to the current physical set-up. Give it another 25 to 50 yards to the right of the wave (the wave's left) and the "backwash" would be greatly diminished. Make that area the "beach" for the public and they can play in the "shore break".

Dora Hates You
 05/28/2016 06:20 PM

RegularJoe

Joined Forum: 11/20/2011

It's similar to car engines. First figure out how to make internal combustion power the car. One you've done that, you can tune the exhaust valve timing and manifold/pipe geometry to completely scavenge every last drop w/ no belches, backfires, or anything. Ferrari engines at the Daytona 24 come to mind.

Figure out the rates of water travel, the resonant frequency(ies) of the pool, and the slop can help push itself back to the launch tank.

As far as Kelly's pool, I don't know if he's got any major patent claims or not. Most of it should "intuitively obvious to practitioners of the art" but so many people have failed it makes that claim hard to support.

Without seeing his implementation, I don't know if the sled/wedge is much different than Wave Garden's. Wakeboarding boats with Fat Sacks and TAPS wake adjusters come to mind as well.
 05/31/2016 08:10 PM

Seth

Joined Forum: 09/14/2004

Originally posted by: stokedpanda

I sat about three feet from the wall, got in early and backdoor-ed a split peak at the goon, and got a .5 second shack! Worth it IMO

Yep. Nailed it you sob's.
FORUMS : Surfing : WSL buys KS Wave Co

1 2 Next Last unread
Topic Tools Topic Tools
Statistics
146495 users are registered to the 2nd Light Forums forum.
There are currently 0 users logged in to the forum.

FuseTalk Basic Edition - © 1999-2024 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.

First there was Air Jordan .