Hey Matt B ... How the hell o are you ??? :)

2nd Light Forums
Decrease font size
Increase font size
Topic Title: Surfing in Cocoa Beach just got a little more expensive
Topic Summary:
Created On: 05/21/2016 04:35 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
1 2 Next Last unread
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 05/21/2016 04:35 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

surfguysmb

Joined Forum: 02/15/2010

05/21/2016 04:40 PM

surfguysmb

Joined Forum: 02/15/2010

This at 15th street south and they have them up till I believe 5th street south, and heading north to your favorite beach access. Lovely how government wants us to pay for what we paid for by our home owners or business taxes

05/21/2016 05:23 PM

TheWind

Joined Forum: 05/12/2013

Yes we are taxed to much! Tolls, fees, sale tax, parking meters etc.

05/21/2016 06:24 PM

rc

Joined Forum: 01/02/2006

It starts with a flashing amber light, then they activate it, then there are cameras and they mail you tickets.. Next an extra 1/2 cent sales tax, then a few parking meters ... a quarter every 15 minutes. Then double it, triple it. Then there are whining county and/or city commisioners talking about potholes, sewer collapses, indian river lagoon taxes, it goes on and on.

Save the manatees!!!

But, we have to pay for it.

I feel your pain.

05/21/2016 07:00 PM

keithncocoa

Joined Forum: 07/27/2003

yep tis true .a very sad sign of the times
so buy a parking pass? if you are a city resident 10$ county resident 60$ wow!
..my only question, is didnt we just buy new fancy digital parking meters a year ago, the ones you could use your iphone to pay with ?
soo what happened to those and where did that money go? i noticed they just chopped the meters and pole off about 2' above ground instead of removing pole..looks like a rusty safety hazard...

-------------------------
support small business - get a new board every 6 months :)
Fatcatsurfboards - hecto en estados unidos - fatcatsurfboards.com
fatcatsurfboards@instagram
 05/22/2016 07:06 AM

LagoonSurfer

Joined Forum: 07/06/2009

I was heading out into the surf at the streets when they were installing them at that particular street. County work said they had to go with the central meter thing because they weren't able to get parts for the old coin meters anymore.

Didn't they try electronic meters once but the salt fouled them up?

Brother, when you get a minute, could I get a list of the words that trigger these fits?

Hey. Where are we going? (And what are we doing in a hand-basket?)
 05/22/2016 08:06 AM

shapewright

Joined Forum: 07/18/2010

maybe the occasional bucket of saltwater dumped on them might help

05/22/2016 11:26 AM

Cole

Joined Forum: 07/22/2003

Originally posted by: shapewright

maybe the occasional bucket of saltwater dumped on them might help

I was right.
 05/22/2016 12:19 PM

SunriseSurfer

Beginning to feel like living in Palm Beach or visiting San Onofre

Cocoa Beach - "One dollar ($1.50) per hour, except for the zone including First Street South
to Fifteen Street South which is two dollars ($2.00).
Metered Parking is enforced twenty four (24) hours a day, including Sundays and Holidays."

But they know the tourists (and most likely surfers) will pay

( I will ... rather I do as I have the $60 permit )

Meter Parking Violation
$35 if paid withing 10 days
$45 after 10 days
$60 after 20 days

Makes the $60/year permit for non residents not seem so bad
Wonder if that will go up next year ...
... but I get my moneys worth

Puerto Rico 11 - 24 - 2013
 05/22/2016 12:44 PM

dab

Joined Forum: 08/08/2003

Originally posted by: rc It starts with a flashing amber light, then they activate it, then there are cameras and they mail you tickets.. Next an extra 1/2 cent sales tax, then a few parking meters ... a quarter every 15 minutes. Then double it, triple it. Then there are whining county and/or city commisioners talking about potholes, sewer collapses, indian river lagoon taxes, it goes on and on. Save the manatees!!! But, we have to pay for it. I feel your pain.

RC - Here is a link to a very good explanation of what your referring to. It also speaks to the question of how to resolve the infrastructure Maintainance costs.

http://www.strongtowns.org/the-growth-ponzi-scheme/

Lack of beachside parking will probably become a greater concern than the cost of beachside parking.

Great minds discuss ideas; Average minds discuss events; small minds discuss people.

05/22/2016 01:02 PM

Cole

I'm pretty sure that about 75% of our city income [Cocoa Beach] goes to fund Merritt Island and surrounding communities and considering our ball fields look like those in the Bad News Bears - the 70's version - I'd say my numbers are correct.

I hear the city is getting ready to charge to park downtown too. I guess they figure we have forgotten the debacle that occurred the last time they tried it.

I was right.
 05/22/2016 03:06 PM

dab

Joined Forum: 08/08/2003

Originally posted by: Cole I'm pretty sure that about 75% of our city income [Cocoa Beach] goes to fund Merritt Island and surrounding communities and considering our ball fields look like those in the Bad News Bears - the 70's version - I'd say my numbers are correct. I hear the city is getting ready to charge to park downtown too. I guess they figure we have forgotten the debacle that occurred the last time they tried it.

Cole- Check this link out from thr 2015 Cocoa Beach Finacial Report.

http://www.cityofcocoabeach.com/DocumentCenter/Home/View/1791

When you read the link I previously shared then read this report you'll see how Cocoa Beach has no future development alternative to raise revenue. 

Also; I can assure you that Merrit Island is the counties red headed step child when it comes to infrastructure improvements. Examples: CR3 & SR3 were repaved & realigned with State and Fed money. 

Great minds discuss ideas; Average minds discuss events; small minds discuss people.

05/22/2016 03:32 PM

dingpatch

Joined Forum: 07/24/2003

The "salt" thingy is something that many folks just don't get when they build and try to sell such things around these parts, , , ,

Many. many, years ago one of my father's friends was an environment type engineer out at The Cape. The "suppliers" kept trying to push them into all kinds of "new and improved" stuff. Most of the manufacturers/suppliers and a lot of the new college grad types who where new to Brevard just could not fathom what the salt and moisture does to stuff here. Plastic enclosures? Sure, sure, , , , if they are "water tight" to a depth of 6 feet. Otherwise, , , , all that delicate crap inside them is going to go to poop really, really, quick. 300 grade stainless stuff is just too damned expensive. Ya, sure. Without it, you are just wasting your money at The Cape. Even 400 grade will "rust" while you watch.

Dora Hates You
 05/22/2016 03:34 PM

Coquina

Joined Forum: 06/05/2007

Sunrise Surfer. I went to renew my beach parking permit after I moved to Key Largo and they told me that I couldn't because my car was no longer registered in Brevard County. Now I pay a meter or park at 16th street. Can't wait to move back.
 05/22/2016 03:50 PM

SunriseSurfer

Coquina,
Yeah, I'm pretty sure the $60 is only for Brevard residents.
C'mon back, but until you move back, bring LOTS of quarters!!
Wait, nevermind, bring a credit card with a high limit, until you move back.

Puerto Rico 11 - 24 - 2013
 05/23/2016 03:20 AM

RUSSD

Joined Forum: 06/30/2014

quite a few parking lots, on the beach here in Pinellas County, have gone to this type of metering. One of the more popular spots is charging a $5 flat rate for the day. But if you run to look at the waves, long beach to get to the water and back, you might have a ticket already. 5 bucks to check the waves sucks, but 35 for a parking ticket sucks even more. Coca Beach and Pinellas County beaches have a lot in common when it comes to getting more money out of parking.

RUSS-D'S PHOTOGRAPHY
 05/23/2016 03:31 AM

LagoonSurfer

Joined Forum: 07/06/2009

Originally posted by: Coquina

Sunrise Surfer. I went to renew my beach parking permit after I moved to Key Largo and they told me that I couldn't because my car was no longer registered in Brevard County. Now I pay a meter or park at 16th street. Can't wait to move back.

That used to be the case but a few years ago they changed it allowing anyone in the state to get a permit. I have a buddy that drives over from Tampa and he for a few years now has been able to get a sticker being totally upfront with them. Not sure how long ago you tried to get one.

I remember the year it went from $20 to $60 for Brevard residents. I'm like, "Could you at least point a gun at me so I can feel better about the whole thing?!"

Still, it's nice not having to worry about checking your watch and coming in to feed the meter.

Brother, when you get a minute, could I get a list of the words that trigger these fits?

Hey. Where are we going? (And what are we doing in a hand-basket?)

Edited: 05/25/2016 at 04:06 AM by LagoonSurfer
 05/23/2016 03:49 AM

steve

Joined Forum: 07/24/2003

They will totally throw out the whole Kelly Slater is from Cocoa Beach thingee yet they will make a day at the beach as painful as it can be for visitors (whom they pay an awful lot of money trying to attract) and surfers. So maybe, let us assume that you are paying for a world class experience and that is why you need meters.

Okay. Then you can park at Ehukai Beach Park, Haleiwa Beach Park or for free at a multitude of high quality surfing breaks in Hawaii with no meters. Somehow...they get tourists and they survive and it is just not off the fee for Haunama Bay. Where nobody surfs.

So the city could probably still be in existance without metered parking.

My parents went to Cocoa Beach and all I got was this lousy surfboard!
 05/23/2016 04:41 AM

Cole

Yes Dab, I read the moneys section.

Four questions:

1) Where can I find the percentage breakdown for money that stays in Cocoa Beach... and what leaves?

2) Where can I rind the revenue numbers for the golf course?

3) Is it true that a large chunk of our hotel taxes are going to fund sports teams out of Osceola county?

4) Why the #$&% is the Minuteman project taking so long? I watched them build mile long sections of 192 - including culverts - in less time than it's taking to re-do a one block section of Cocoa Beach?

I was right.

Edited: 05/23/2016 at 06:36 AM by Cole
 05/23/2016 05:16 AM

Coquina

Joined Forum: 06/05/2007

LagoonSurfer. That sounds great. Thanks for letting me know. It was a long time ago that I was denied a parking sticker, like around 2010 or 2011. I will definitely get one next time I'm in town.
Statistics
146499 users are registered to the 2nd Light Forums forum.
There are currently 1 users logged in to the forum.

FuseTalk Basic Edition - © 1999-2024 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.

First there was Air Jordan .