Hey Matt B ... How the hell o are you ??? :)

2nd Light Forums
Decrease font size
Increase font size
Topic Title: Another huge fish kill in the lagoon
Topic Summary:
Created On: 03/21/2016 07:33 AM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
<< 1 2 3 4 Previous Last unread
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 03/26/2016 10:02 AM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

matt_t

Joined Forum: 10/21/2003

The state and /or Feds could give large tax deductions to offset cost for people to remove septic tanks and hook up to sewer.

State could enact fertilizer or dances to better control its adverse affects.

County could do better to enforce yard waste getting blown into drains.

Also enforce in many canal front yards in which debris is blown directly into lagoon. Boat through residential canal on any weekday and see all the fresh grass floating by.

State, Feds and local govts can fund or install and maintain baffle boxes at runoff points.

State, Feds or local govts could fund more muck removals well as mangrove installation on a larger scale.

Fed, state or local govt could build wetland areas in the upper ends af the creeks and rivers o filter nutrients just as they have done at viera and stick marsh.

Explore some of the ideas of smaller inlets or wiers to create a flow south

03/27/2016 04:18 PM

crnawolfman

Joined Forum: 01/06/2014

Captains for Clean Water,  a group of charte boat captains trying to help clean the waters in Fla.

captainsforcleanwater.org

03/27/2016 05:11 PM

rc

Joined Forum: 01/02/2006

Off our dock in north Sat Bch we have catfish swimming around but not much else.
Have seen a few pompano dead, but nothing like other spots.
Never have fertilized myself, I water 15 minutes per zone once a week in the winter and twice in the summer. I'll turn it off depending on the Summer rains.
Doing what I can.
 03/27/2016 05:30 PM

DaveFL76

Joined Forum: 08/16/2003

Truth, that's one really interesting read! Thanks for posting.

What's the source on that, and are there any more similar articles about the counties' history? I need some more bedtime reading material.

A question for anyone that's read the article: The story mentions that in the early 1900s, the IRL was mostly fresh water, and citrus grove owners and cattle ranchers opposed the Sebastian Inlet because they were worried about salt water intrusion in their wells....

I'm under the impression that there were numerous Native American oyster mounds in the county, near the IRL. Do oysters grow in 'mostly fresh' water? Or was there possibly a cut in the barrier island at one point that allowed oysters to grow, only to be filled in later?

Edited: 03/27/2016 at 05:43 PM by DaveFL76

03/27/2016 08:19 PM

ummm

Joined Forum: 03/24/2014

I wish some of you on this site would wake the heck up. The people you love and trust, and whose words you drink in, as if they are an oracle of the gods, hate you and want to kill you - and the enviroment, despite what they preach. All they want is power and they make up sweet sounding(and clever) lies that are exactky what you want to hear. They preach conservation as they poison the air, the water and our food every day all day. They are waiting for you to continue to give up your freedoms in order for them to solve the problems they have intentionally created. Order will come from chaos...and we will be their serfs(not surfs, sadly). Wake up people. This isn't conspiracy...it is fact. We are all in for a rough ride, and it's our fault because we are 

Edited: 03/27/2016 at 08:36 PM by ummm
 03/28/2016 06:44 AM

stokedpanda

Joined Forum: 09/04/2015

I was talking with my pops about what cause this to happen,"All of a sudden" and he said what do you mean, "All of a sudden?"

He told me of how the complex pool, and golf course area used to be a dump/landfill!

Years of waste caused this, it will take years to fix if possible.....

-------------------------
I troll 2L.com to be a better person in real life
 03/28/2016 07:14 AM

mushyman

Joined Forum: 10/09/2013

I can tell you that the golf courses on merrit island and cocoa beach dump chemicals and fertilizer wholesale into the marshes and into drains...Former spray tech/asst. Superintendent. All that plus the major Chem dumps from Kennedy scare the shit out of me. Got out of golf course work because I couldn't take spraying death all over the environment...they have back stock of banned chemicals which are still used (at least The Savannahs do...)

Do you know what Wubba-LubbA-Dub-Dub means in BirdPerson language?
 03/28/2016 07:56 AM

equipeola

Joined Forum: 12/17/2009

Mushyman please id exactly what banned substances you have witnessed on site at Savannah's. Thanks in adavnce.

ola ~

03/28/2016 05:14 PM

mushyman

Joined Forum: 10/09/2013

Right off hand. MSMA, Fipronil, 2-4D, Diazinon, Dursban, Outrider (sulfosulfuron), diquat dibromide, . Been out of the turf game for a couple years and am in Puerto Rico at the moment so I don't have my log books and I don't remember exactly what is banned anymore but they really should do some soil testing. Equally bad or worse than the banned/restricted herbicides, pesticides, and fungicides is the basically wholesale dumping they do of the spray rigs tank back in the marsh, which in some cases have clearly marked wildlife refuge signs posted. They have no chemical holding tanks so finding a shady spot out past the fences is where the excess chemical/fert is dumped. They have an area filled in with gravel where the rigs are rinsed allowing anything leftover into ground soil...I have witnessed the Superintendent directing the spray tech to edit or completely leave out entire spray sessions in which wrongly branded or banned chemicals were used. This is the norm in many different areas, the Wekiva River is seeing massive blooms of algae and the golf clubs (Alaqua CC, my exp) continue to dump excess chem/fert into the actual wetlands located in between the club and the river basin...

Some clubs have better standards than others, for instance, Alaqua CC has holding tanks and basins that pump into holding tanks, but they only use them for certain chemicals and not fertilizer!!

Do you know what Wubba-LubbA-Dub-Dub means in BirdPerson language?

Edited: 03/28/2016 at 06:00 PM by mushyman
FORUMS : Surfing : Another huge fish kill in the lagoon

<< 1 2 3 4 Previous Last unread
Topic Tools Topic Tools
Statistics
146499 users are registered to the 2nd Light Forums forum.
There are currently 2 users logged in to the forum.

FuseTalk Basic Edition - © 1999-2024 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.

First there was Air Jordan .