Hey Matt B ... How the hell o are you ??? :)

2nd Light Forums
Decrease font size
Increase font size
Topic Title: Fitness goals 2016
Topic Summary:
Created On: 02/09/2016 10:44 AM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
<< 1 2 Previous Last unread
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 02/10/2016 12:37 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

TunnelVision

Joined Forum: 10/02/2003

Originally posted by: scostuart TunnelVision, 

Again it depends all on "YOUR" fitness goals.  If you enjoy long distance bike rides...then DO IT!  As far as it improving your endurance for surfing.....I would suggest swimming.

Yeah, really need to swim more often. Our pool is pretty short, so it isnt good for laps. Just going to make an effort to get out in the ocean more often
 02/12/2016 05:59 AM

Fred32176

Joined Forum: 01/22/2016

I will be 60 this summer and am just getting into surfing. I moved from Virginia last summer and mountain biked for many years until I moved here. My usual ride was 90+ minutes in hilly terrain. I usually rode between 1 - 3 times a week.

Mountain biking uses different muscles, your legs and core will be muscular. If you use good technique you won't develop any arm or shoulder strength as you shouldn't be using them. With good technique, even going over obstacles doesn't use your arms to pull up, you actually push forward and the front end will rise. My point is, I am doing lots of shoulder and upper body exercise and mountain biking won't help you there.

02/12/2016 09:09 AM

Plan B

Joined Forum: 03/08/2004

just aim for an hour of intense exercise 5 days a week..... and mix it up.

I'm 41 with a laundry list of accumulated injuries (many neglected that I will pay for later on) and I'm still cruisin and will surf all day when th conditions warrant (it does hurt a little more the next morning) and just got back from 17 days on the North Shore (but I won't lie, after 2 weeks of some poundings, and surfing minimum 4hrs a day (winds often came up in the pm), I was pretty beat up) 

also like Mic said..... I've also really cutback on processed foods and simple carbs (used to chow down on pasta) and can feel an energy difference.

02/12/2016 12:23 PM

stokedpanda

Joined Forum: 09/04/2015

as certon has mentioned carver or any skate boarding is good work out.

swimming is low impact and can be high intensity,

jump rope, run, push up , pull up, plank, abs its all good just stay moving!

take the stairs, park far from the store, walk more

-------------------------
I troll 2L.com to be a better person in real life
 02/12/2016 02:17 PM

TunnelVision

Originally posted by: Plan B just aim for an hour of intense exercise 5 days a week..... and mix it up.

I'm 41 with a laundry list of accumulated injuries (many neglected that I will pay for later on) and I'm still cruisin and will surf all day when th conditions warrant (it does hurt a little more the next morning) and just got back from 17 days on the North Shore (but I won't lie, after 2 weeks of some poundings, and surfing minimum 4hrs a day (winds often came up in the pm), I was pretty beat up) 

also like Mic said..... I've also really cutback on processed foods and simple carbs (used to chow down on pasta) and can feel an energy difference.

What breaks did you surf?
 02/12/2016 02:30 PM

SoHiGH

Joined Forum: 07/10/2015

Along with the two great things that go great together (surfing and vaping) be conscious of what you consume... Puff puff, pass

02/12/2016 02:58 PM

stokedpanda

Joined Forum: 09/04/2015

Originally posted by: SoHiGH Along with the two great things that go great together (surfing and vaping) be conscious of what you consume... Puff puff, pass

Dab(made by hair straightener) > Vape

I troll 2L.com to be a better person in real life
 02/12/2016 03:09 PM

SoHiGH

Joined Forum: 07/10/2015

Originally posted by: stokedpanda
Originally posted by: SoHiGH Along with the two great things that go great together (surfing and vaping) be conscious of what you consume... Puff puff, pass

Dab(made by hair straightener) > Vape

Subjective statement, but excellent nonetheless and the extract can also be used for healthy cooking... Puff puff, pass

02/12/2016 03:28 PM

ww

Joined Forum: 08/17/2007

A recent comment by North Carolina's Brett Barley on not using the jetski to catch waves in the Cape Hatteras area:

"Paddling out here and fighting the current when it's big is what has physically prepared me to surf places like Hawaii and Mexico. I think it's important."

Me?  Hope to start rotator cuff physical therapy next week, hope to walk at least 5 miles/day to be halfway fit for New Zealand in May.  

Edited: 02/12/2016 at 03:59 PM by ww
 02/12/2016 07:13 PM

cheaterfiveo

Joined Forum: 08/29/2013

Just ride a longer board surf for yourself not for others
 02/12/2016 09:40 PM

T_C_

Joined Forum: 08/08/2006

Edited: 02/12/2016 at 10:11 PM by T_C_
 02/13/2016 05:43 AM

SurferMic

Joined Forum: 06/30/2012

get a wetsuit from the eighties and short board, paddle a mile or so each day and you will be fit for surfing.   In fact due to this thread I am taking out my old rip curl no stretch heavy POS fullsuit & my smallest short board and get some padddling in.  would be cool to see how far you can paddle point to point and back (measuring with the car odometer on A1A).

Edited: 02/13/2016 at 05:54 AM by SurferMic
 02/13/2016 07:49 AM

TunnelVision

Yeah, have some of these. I know they're super healthy, but the flavor was just alright for me. Not bad, but not great either, but yeah, certainly one of the healthiest choices,
 02/13/2016 07:53 AM

TunnelVision

Originally posted by: ww A recent comment by North Carolina's Brett Barley on not using the jetski to catch waves in the Cape Hatteras area: "Paddling out here and fighting the current when it's big is what has physically prepared me to surf places like Hawaii and Mexico. I think it's important." ___________ Me?  Hope to start rotator cuff physical therapy next week, hope to walk at least 5 miles/day to be halfway fit for New Zealand in May.  
Definitely get some crazy currents at the lighthouse. Have had some sessions up there with some insane currents in only chest/head surf. Spent most of the session paddling back in. Could never really sit or you'd get sucked out. So, paddle out after each wave, then paddle in while waiting for a wave - arms were crazy soar after that. I can see how that would get you into excellent surfing shape.
 02/13/2016 01:14 PM

Sharktower

Joined Forum: 03/19/2004

If you're serious about getting into surf shape, I have a prone paddleboard that I'm looking to get rid of. It's not pretty, but it's watertight. It's taking up space on a friend's outdoor rack and needs to go. You're welcome to it.

It's a 10'6" originally purchased from some one on 2ndlight.com.  It has been paddled a lot.  It resides in Treasure Island on the Gulf Coast and it's yours if you want to pick it up.  

Sound like lots of great fitness advice on this thread. But if you really want fitness that impacts your surfing, nothing compares to paddling and swimming. 

we are they, they are us -- Thich Nhat Hanh

02/13/2016 01:33 PM

TunnelVision

Originally posted by: Sharktower If you're serious about getting into surf shape, I have a prone paddleboard that I'm looking to get rid of. It's not pretty, but it's watertight. It's taking up space on a friend's outdoor rack and needs to go. You're welcome to it. It's a 10'6" originally purchased from some one on 2ndlight.com.  It has been paddled a lot.  It resides in Treasure Island on the Gulf Coast and it's yours if you want to pick it up.   Sound like lots of great fitness advice on this thread. But if you really want fitness that impacts your surfing, nothing compares to paddling and swimming. 
Thanks dude, that's super cool, but I'm just going to stick with surfing due to time limitations. I have a nugget I can use on small days to still enjoy surfing even when the waves aren't that good. I think I'm just going to always plan on a second session after some food / drink
 02/13/2016 07:21 PM

Plan B

Joined Forum: 03/08/2004

Originally posted by: TunnelVision  What breaks did you surf?

almost everywhere aside from Pipeline.  Alot going on there

FORUMS : Surfing : Fitness goals 2016

<< 1 2 Previous Last unread
Topic Tools Topic Tools
Statistics
146497 users are registered to the 2nd Light Forums forum.
There are currently 2 users logged in to the forum.

FuseTalk Basic Edition - © 1999-2024 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.

First there was Air Jordan .